i was going to put some new pickups in my guitar (which has a floyd rose tremolo), and i noticed floyd spacing with pickups. however, i have seen guitars with a floyd rose with pickups that don't come spaced for one. do you have to buy floyd spaced pickups for a guitar with a floyd rose or no?
They make F spaced pickups, for guitars with a floyd or other trem i believe. So nearly all F spaced pickups are suitable for guitars with trems. Normal, non-F spaced would be for say a gibson LP.

Some people say it doesn't actually make a difference in the actual sound produced. But im not too sure on that one. It's so the pole pieces on the pickups align with the strings.
Fender Strat Build
Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster MEX
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
If you have a non-F-spaced Pu, you could, in theory, bold it on diagonally like Eddie van Halen, and line up the pole pieces to the strings that way. I'm not sure it it's hugely relevent, but I'd rather have a properly spaced pu, if I'm putting out the chash for a replacement pickup.
Check Dimarzio's website. They have a good description of this under FAQ. By the way, F-spacing is Fender Spacing not Floyd spacing.
Quote by fireman464
Check Dimarzio's website. They have a good description of this under FAQ. By the way, F-spacing is Fender Spacing not Floyd spacing.

It's both.

Floyd string-spacing is the same as Fender spacing, so we naturally called the new pickups F-spaced.
Fender Strat Build
Fender Robert Cray Stratocaster MEX
Fender Telecaster USA

Laney LC50-II
Dunlop Crybaby 535Q
ProCo TheRat
Tech21 SansAmp GT2
Ernie Ball 6166
Line 6 DL4
Line 6 TP UX2
The wider poles make the pickup darker and muddier. If you like dark and muddy then go with F spaced pickups. If you don't... They say that the wider spacing makes the poles site exactly under the strings but in reality it doesn't really do anything. How often do the poles sit exactly under the strings anyway? Pickups always seem to sit to one side or the other and it doesn't make a lick of difference. F spaces vs normal doesn't relly change how well the pickup detects string movement. F space pickups are just a little darker and a little muddier. I don't like them.
Not taking any online orders.