hey, sorry if there is already another thread about this, but i need some help.

i recently got a laptop with windows vista on it to do some recording. Ive read in a few recording magazines that vista is supposed to be a pretty good OS for recording, however i have some questions:

Are there any settings that i can change within my OS to make my comp run smoother and more efficiantly? I recently tried to make some rough recordings of my band while we were practicing and it stopped recording about 1 minute into one of our songs.

i know there are some settings i can change within both the computer and the recording software i was using (Guitar Tracks Pro by CakewalK), but im not exactly sure of what to do. ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!

thanks!
Quote by ckyratm
i recently got a laptop with windows vista on it to do some recording. Ive read in a few recording magazines that vista is supposed to be a pretty good OS for recording, however i have some questions:

LIES!!!!

Quote by ckyratm

Are there any settings that i can change within my OS to make my comp run smoother and more efficiantly? I recently tried to make some rough recordings of my band while we were practicing and it stopped recording about 1 minute into one of our songs.

Either switch back to XP, move to linux, or buy a mac. Vista is too immature and unstable right now, not too mention too bloated with all that eye-candy, to record (or do anything remotely useful) well.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
well i think that was a little hasty, there are lots of services which COULD be turned off, but as ive only had vista a few weeks tops myself im not sure which ones u could stop.

if you go to control panel - adminstrative tools - services you will find a list of them, the indexing service is a good one to turn off, if you google their names or look in their description field u will have a good idea if its turn-off-able

if u wanna turn off the fancy graphics u can right click the desktop, pick personalize then pick theme, and pick "windows classic".

if your laptop is new it should be able to handle all this fine though, as it has to be certified for vista, what software are u using to record the audio?
*hugs his 4 year old Mac
I was once heavily prominent on these forums from 2004-2007, let's see how long I can stay now that I'm back.
*hugs his 3 year old mac and brand new dell with xp*

vista won't be ready to do actual anything for a long time.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
c'mon now guys, if u know anything about computers u know ur macs are virus/spyware free cuz of their low adoption rate (4-5% of all computers are macs?) and as they grow its gonna become as big a problem as with windows, and frankly id rather be on windows right now as its had years of getting its ass kicked and has had a lot fixed, where as apple has still got that wave to come and serious problems will arise.

But im not bashing apple, because the macbook pros are extremely slick and windows can be run on them now which is great, if only they were cheaper and had a 2 button touchpad, it would be my first choice over a regular PC laptop. I'm just saying dont get so cocky cuz its gonna get rocky very soon :P

have u all tried vista though? ive been running it for a few weeks and its been great, there is 1 annoying bluescreen i get occasionally, and creative are late with drivers (but they did that with xp too so it doesent count) and the system is otherwise running great! my SLI setup runs fine and all other components seem to be behaving. For power users its definitely a step up form XP.
running in XP compatibility mode or enabling "run as administrator" fixed any errors I had for troublesome apps, as they often dont know how to handle the privilege switches in Vista's UAC
I agree that mac will start to get a lot of viruses and spyware. Not as much as windows though, because the system is just built more solid than windows. But it will definitely become a problem for Apple in the near future.

That's why I stick to linux. Even if everyone on the planet ran linux, spyware and viruses wouldn't be a problem because all the code is open source, a fix can be released within hours of the problem arising. Not to mention the fact that any malicious code requires root access (a human-entered password) to do any real damage, it can only touch your user settings and personal files otherwise.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
the major problem is that nothing is going to be working properly with vista for a while
The major problem is that vista is proprietary software. Open-source the code and the bugs will disappear.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
The major problem is that vista is proprietary software. Open-source the code and the bugs will disappear.

i'de rather not...we don't need 50 versions of the same OS floating around
it's in the hands of software developers to make better programs & MS fixes most of it's major problems right away

sure it would be nice if people could help out,but making it open source still causes it's own problems...people could put anything in there,it would be a big target sign
Quote by DeathDealer
i'de rather not...we don't need 50 versions of the same OS floating around
it's in the hands of software developers to make better programs & MS fixes most of it's major problems right away

sure it would be nice if people could help out,but making it open source still causes it's own problems...people could put anything in there,it would be a big target sign

Open-source projects don't simply release any code that gets added/changed. The changes are reviewed by others and if the development team agrees that it's worthy of release they will... release it.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
Open-source projects don't simply release any code that gets added/changed. The changes are reviewed by others and if the development team agrees that it's worthy of release they will... release it.

yeah...thats why all the different Linuxes kick so much ass
Quote by DeathDealer
yeah...thats why all the different Linuxes kick so much ass

...Yeah, exactly.

Look, there are so many different flavours for a reason. I run Gentoo because it offers more control. All packages are compiled on the system, there is a unique software management system, and it's just a more elaborate OS overall, but still based on the linux kernel. And then there's Ubuntu, the most popular distribution out there. Is it the same as Gentoo linux? Hradly. It's a binary distribution, all the packages are precompiled, it's much more user-friendly, easy installation, automated setup and all, but it's still based on the linux kernel, making it a linux operating system.

There are quite a few Windows Vista flavours as well, because customers have varied needs.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
and they will fail to be used by anyone other than hardcore geeks until they get their usability sorted out. terminal is not suitable for noobs
Ive got Vista and run cubase LE with no problems, i read though you need 32 bit vista to run with most programs, aswell as to run vista without problems i heard you need 2gig RAM
Frank Zappa's not dead. He just smells funny.
Quote by thesimo
and they will fail to be used by anyone other than hardcore geeks until they get their usability sorted out. terminal is not suitable for noobs

I set up Gentoo when I was 13 years old...

Are you saying that the general population are no smarter than a 13 year old? Not to mention distributions like Ubuntu and SuSE have graphical installers just like windows and pretty much hold your hand through regular use if you want them to.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by Muphin
I set up Gentoo when I was 13 years old...

Are you saying that the general population are no smarter than a 13 year old? Not to mention distributions like Ubuntu and SuSE have graphical installers just like windows and pretty much hold your hand through regular use if you want them to.

would u say u were more geeky than the average 13 year old? definitely!
are the average population no smarter than a 13 year old? if u have fixed as many computer problems as I have for average computer users u would put money on it.
Quote by thesimo
would u say u were more geeky than the average 13 year old? definitely!
are the average population no smarter than a 13 year old? if u have fixed as many computer problems as I have for average computer users u would put money on it.

Well if we're gonna start throwing deragatory adjectives at eachother than this arguement is more useless than I thought, you moron.

If the average 13 year old can't follow a simple set of instructions then yeah I was smarter.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
i didnt mean geeky in a deragatory way, i mean u were obviously more into comptuers than the average and you cant expect the general public to install linux.
Hey of all the windows os so foar vista is great the only bad thing about my computer is my 61-bit cpu so i can't run my tone port untill line 6 makes a driver for it.
Quote by kuroko
Hey of all the windows os so foar vista is great the only bad thing about my computer is my 64-bit cpu so i can't run my tone port untill line 6 makes a driver for it.

64-bit is better. Line 6 is living in the past.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
the other reason that macs don't get viruses is that they're programmed differently. windows leaves a whole bunch of big open 'windows' (sorry, i had to) that viruses can hook up in and exploit from. macs don't have that.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
wow so can someone actualy give me some help or are you guys just going to keep arguing about computers some more?
Firstly, get rid of all of the visual effects and disable Aero, that'll clean things up heaps.

And secondly, Vista is a good OS. I've had to go back to XP from Vista and all this computer wants to do with XP on it is **** up and not load up programs. I never had problems with Vista, it's so much more stable than XP it's just not funny.
no one has answerd a serious qustion. but seriously though, get a mac.
but to asnwer you question, to run your pc smoothly, upgrade your ram. dont let your hard disk be filled. otherwise upgrade your hard disk. dont use screen savers and fancy backrounds. and try using adobe audition for recording.
CLICK ME

Quote by lrc95

hi, i was just wondering how to post a thread?

Quote by AS I LAY DYING!
and USD is equal to how much in US dollars?

Quote by Armchair Bronco
Everyone must own a DS-1 at some point in their playing career.

^^idiots

I don't believe anyone has mentioned the fact that the Mac OS X is built around UNIX, which in theory should keep the stabability at relatively equal ground with Linux.

To original threadstarter I can't be of much help to you other than to say that I have read the complete opposite of your claim, and that Vista is actually supposed to be terrible for Audio Recording, go read around on studio-central, or gearslutz and ask the same question and you'll be told the same thing. Vista is so new, I can bet you in a year or two things should be much more stable but right now it just doesn't seem to have all it's bugs fixed. Some people will claim the same thing about XP, theres a reason you will see many business still running Windows 2000 Pro.