I'm kinda interested in this amp (the 60W combo), any oppinons on it? How does it compare to, say, a 5150 combo? Any other suggestions for amps in this vein, I mostly play a combination of Pantera (CFH) style heavy riffs and Megadeth (Rust in Peace-era) speedy riffs, mostly in standard, never going below D standard.

On a sidenote; I'll be going to teh US in a couple of weeks, and if i play my cards right, I'll find a nice amp. The only ever so slight problem is that I have to get it home. I serioudly can't think of anything execpt paying out the ass for air fare. Any suggestions?

Price range for the amp would be 750-800 $

Gear is in the sigg, although I'm probably getting a SL3 with a BKP warpig in as soon as I can manage to get the money toghether
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
(Soon to be gone) Peavey Bandit 112
Soldano Hot Rod 50+ (1993)
Framus 212 (V30's)
Steven (seagull) owns one and praises it very much- hopefully he'll pop in and tell you more
Quote by Pookie6
Yngwi3, You win this whole monstrosity of a thread.

Quote by uk.mace
For the best tingle, use Original Source mint. That shit feels amazing on your balls.

Godfather of The Diezel Mafia
mornin

Fallen Angel is no 5150, nowhere near that amount of gain and a much more vintage voicing. However, with an OD pedal and an EQ it'll get you close. Don't bother buying an amp from the states, with shipping, the likelihood of import duties and VAT and the dicking around with different voltages it really isn't worth it.

My recording's not the best but you get the idea...I don't think I quite captured the sheer earth-shattering loudness of the whole affair

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7157498&postcount=201
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
That sounds awesome dude! I'm even mre in to this amp now than before . So you dont think I should buy it will in teh states? Well I can see your point, but it's just so damn hard to find in europe.

To comment further on the tone, that clean was frickin' sweet! Hadn't really been expecting that! The distortion clips were really nice to, especially the enter sandman one. I don't think I'll need an OD for it, because the BKP warpig is just so hot, and will push it all I need, plus I didn't see any major lack in the gain department.

If you could compare it to an other amp, what would that be? Also, I hope it's just not my headphones fooling me, but that bass was MASSIVE, just how I like it.
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
Bump
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
The bass is pretty much endless, probaby because of Ashdown's background in bass amps. I never have it past more than 1/4. Soundwise it's darker and less raunchy than a Marshall, but not as smooth as a Mesa...they're kind of somewhere in between. Ashdown are an English company so they should be cheaper in Europe.

http://www.rimmersmusic.co.uk/productsAshdown-54-10.htm

they definitely have the 40's and I think they have a few 60's too, at least that's what they told me last time I was in the shop, worth emailing them to enquire about shipping...i'm assuming you're in mainland Europe somewhere.

http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/14396

definitely have 40 watters, may have 60's but they aren't on the site - shipping is £16 to EU, £40 outside EU.

http://www.soundslive.co.uk/product~name~Ashdown-Fallen-Angel---Guitar-Stack~ID~5681.asp

Gutted, these guys only have the 60 watter in stack format...or not gutted, as the case may be?

http://www.soundhaus.de/katalog/gitarre_einzeln.asp?Art=1002987

these German people appear to have em...

http://www.soundcontrol.co.uk/mod_1/pages/mod_1.12/pages/mod_1.12.1/pages/mod_1.12.1.1/pages/index.php?sku=1.1.1.3.1.1-1-100

Sound Control have them but they're about £200 above the going rate...probably worh haggling with them though, everyone else is flogging them off for £300-£350.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Thanks alot for those sites dude! I'm pretty certain that I'm gonna go for one of them 60 watt combos now, it seems like a perfect fit for me. I emailed the first two sites on the list to ask about having it in stock.

Seriously, thanks alot dude, you've been alot of help!
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)

Rimmers is actually my local shop so I'm pretty confident they have them. If you struggle it may be worth hunting around for the Hayden amps which are the rebranded ones. However, if you do it's the Hayden Peacemaker you want, NOT the Fallen Angel. The Ashdown Fallen Angels had an all-tube range and a hybrid range...the Fallen Angel name has only been carried forward for the hybrid Hayden amps, the Peacemakers are the equivalent of the original tube Fallen Angels.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Good to know, any major difference between the new hayden and the old ashdown? Like in price or tone?
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
I spoke to a bloke at Ashdown recently and he said the Peacemakers have been tweaked to have a little more gain but essentially they're the same amp. Haven't seen one in ashop but I'm guessing they'll be around the original Fallen Angel price so around £500.

Dunno where this site is...Norway? Looks like you might be going on a little road trip....

http://www.tabs.no/produkter/gitar/amp-ashdown/

http://www.tabs.no/produkter/gitar/amp-hayden/
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 17, 2007,
Maybe I will :P. But I might just order either one of them, and have it sent to me, since it'll turn out a fair bit cheaper anyway. Again, thanks for all your help, it's nice to meet someone who that helpful on the internet.

Cheers!
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
no probs...happy amp hunting
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Rimmers mailed me back, and they have the 60w combo in stock. I'm just checking would £448
be a good price, that is with shipping?
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
Quote by steven seagull
mornin

Fallen Angel is no 5150, nowhere near that amount of gain and a much more vintage voicing. However, with an OD pedal and an EQ it'll get you close. Don't bother buying an amp from the states, with shipping, the likelihood of import duties and VAT and the dicking around with different voltages it really isn't worth it.

My recording's not the best but you get the idea...I don't think I quite captured the sheer earth-shattering loudness of the whole affair

https://www.ultimate-guitar.com/forum/showpost.php?p=7157498&postcount=201

You just wanted to show us how fast you can palm mute with Paranoid, didn't you?
I have the 40W combo, and I am very happy with it. I use it mainly for a good rock tone, something very brown, and with hints of slash and other 80's sorts of things, it does do metal as well, loves blues and the cleans are sparkly. The EQ is very responsive, as mentioned before there is a lot of bass if you turn the bass knob up, but you can remove it. the mids are lower than in most amps, so they are very meaty, and the treble gives good sparkle. the clean channel is voiced in a more standard way, but still is very versatile and good.

In terms of sound the amp is brilliant, it's british sounding, can be vintage, but it's individual, and IMO better than the modern marshalls.

There are two versions of the all tube fallen angel amps, the originals, and the DSP's. I would try to get an original if you can, it's what I have. Other than aesthetics, it has spring reverb, and no digital crap. Ashdown, before spinning out hayden made hybrid fallen angels, and now, the fallen angels are all hayden, but they are only hybrid.

However, there are some issues:

1) It is fixed bias via a zener diode. fine if you use the stock sovteks, but you will need to get a tech to look at it if you want to put something better in. This is the case for all the amps (the 40w, 60w, and 180w head).

2) They are 'cheap' valve amps, so while the features are good, and they sound great the quality control isn't stringent. Mine has been back to ashdown 3 times for several different things. I love the amp though so i will put up with it. The sorts of problems are teething things, much in the way the peavey valveking experiences problems.

3) They are discontinued, so you need to either buy second hand, or find a dealer still stocking them. And they are likely to only be the DSP versions.

Ashdown makes the amps in essex, they are much cheaper in the UK than anywhere else in the world, you can pick up the 40W combo for £250 if you know where to look.

Definitely try it out though.

If anyone is interested, for the sounds that I use this is my EQ settings: treble 2 o clock, mid on full, bass completely off. This gives a very good EVH brown sound. OD boost on, gain about 12 o clock, and it sounds much better cranked.

I've just got a weber mass to go with it, however I don't have a speaker cable so I haven't tried it yet....
If I didn't use the effects on the DSP,would there still be tone difference?
Mandatory gear list

Charvel Model 6 (1986)
Cort MR780FX
Epi Firebird VII
Framus 212 (V30's)
The reverb is kind of pants, the rest of the effects sound okay but some of the settings are a bit unuseable - fine for mucking about with though, some ok flanger and delay settings, chorus ain't up to much though.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by Revrend.
If I didn't use the effects on the DSP,would there still be tone difference?

I don't know exactly, they won't be completely true bypass, but how much of an effect I'm not sure. Only way would be to have a dsp and a non dsp version and see the difference. I doubt that the human ear will be able to tell the difference.
I got my Ashdown FA 60 DSP combo after a thread like this. And i havent looked back since...
I mostly play metal, and the raw sound is amazing for the price (its a good sound in general tbh). I use a ESP EC-400 with EMG 81+60 and the crunch....the feedback..(well actually the feedbacks a little to much...need gain at around 3oclock)....the awesome pinch hamronics....

Its diffenately worth looking at, esp if your low on cash. I got mine for £330, w free shipping to N.Ireland from dolphinmusic, however they don't stock anymore

*EDIT* just remembered, watch shady music salesman, tried to get me buying fender amps, Spiders, Roland cubes...all kinds of crap. Not that fender are crap, it was low-end stuff
^ Very good price there.

2 years ago the 40W non dsp combo cost me £350, and that was the very cheapest you could get them...
You can get the 60's for £350 now....mine cost me £475 and that was a good deal.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

I have the newer 40w version, with the DSP.

The reverb is quite nice IMO, but my taste is questionable, since I've never had an amp with reverb before .

However, I can tell you that this amp is VERY BASSY.
And this is coming from a guy who is mainly a bass player.
With the bass at 12 o clock, this thing is more bassy than my bass amp!

It sounds pretty nice though, and the 40w versions can be had for around £200 from the bay.