i have heard many things about different pickups, and was wondering what the big difference between humbuckers and single-coils were. and what is all this HSS SSS and stuff too. i know its hum single single and stuff, but how does the sound change? thanks in advance.
i asked this same thing like a week ago and never really got a strait answer lol
the sound doens't really change. HSS is just a humbucker and two singles as you said. That's all tehre is to it.

Ah. Humbuckers have two coils for more power, and they cancel each others hum.
Winner of the 2011 Virginia Guitar Festival

Protools HD
Lynx Aurora 16/HD192
Mojave, Sennheiser, AKG, EV etc mics
Focusrite ISA828 pres
Waves Mercury
Random Rack Gear

65 Deluxe Reverb
PRS CE 22
American Standard Strat
Taylor 712
Check it out, singles are noiser and have a bright, thin sound. Humbuckers have a LOT less hum, but the sound is thicker and heavier. But all in all, each type has its own voice. Singles have a very bright snap to em, especially in the bridge. While buckers have a really thick chunk that heavy metal players love. Hope this helped.
HSS and SSS are pickup arangements. HSS means theres a humbucker next to the bridge and then two single coils and SSS means three single coils
in reply to ^^^^^^^ that post, does that mean i might want to get a guitar with say an HSS arrangement or something, so i can switch and have the best of both? also, can i replace pickups with single or humbuckers if i decide i want different ones?
Quote by tennisace
in reply to ^^^^^^^ that post, does that mean i might want to get a guitar with say an HSS arrangement or something, so i can switch and have the best of both? also, can i replace pickups with single or humbuckers if i decide i want different ones?

It means that in the bridge position( i.e the pickup closest to the bridge) would be a bucker, the pickup closest to the neck is a single, and the pickup between the two is also a single.
humbuckers are essentially single coil pickups with double the amount of output and therefore have a much fuller sound.
there are also soapbar, lipstick, and countless other variations on traditional pickups.
pickup set ups vary from guitar to guitar so the switching system may not always be the same as other guitars with the same pickup setup because of coil taps (changing a humbucker to a single coil) piezo systems, and/or active pickups.

hope this helps.
Quote by danielrobbyshor
humbuckers are essentially single coil pickups with double the amount of output and therefore have a much fuller sound.
there are also soapbar, lipstick, and countless other variations on traditional pickups.
pickup set ups vary from guitar to guitar so the switching system may not always be the same as other guitars with the same pickup setup because of coil taps (changing a humbucker to a single coil) piezo systems, and/or active pickups.

hope this helps.

Dude, this guy is obviously a noob, there is no need to confuse him.

(Not that there is anything wrong with being a noob.)
Quote by Ibanez Junkie
Dude, this guy is obviously a noob, there is no need to confuse him.

(Not that there is anything wrong with being a noob.)

no offense taken