Hi i'm kind of new to building guitars but i'm very handy so i'm gonna take a shot at it.
I need to know a reliable place where i can get a mohagany blank ive already decided on pups and wireing also a neck i was thinking maple but i am unsure, it will be playing everything from heavy metal to soft rock. incase your wondering what its gonna look like I attached the rough draft> Thanks
Attachments:
guitar2.JPG
its going to be pretty hard to reach those upper frets. so make a little room for your hands and such. but i like it.
That looks a bit extreme to be a comfortable playable guitar... Still, if it's what you want to do, I'd be concerned about upper fret access as moonhawk said...
And the electronics where I think you have them could present problems.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
yeah, way too far a stretch. you need to completely rethink your design. if it's mahogany, it'll weigh a ton. the fret access will be horrible. it'll be next to impossible finding a body blank that big.

try again.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Quote by gm jack
And the electronics where I think you have them could present problems.

what do you mean?
I can change the size.
Quote by tubab0y
yeah, way too far a stretch. you need to completely rethink your design. if it's mahogany, it'll weigh a ton. the fret access will be horrible. it'll be next to impossible finding a body blank that big.

try again.

Multipiece body?

And bah, if it weighs a lot, you can use it as weight training (so you can play it for a gig. But honestly, weight isn't much of a problem. A lot of guitarist complain about heavy guitars, and most of th ones I play are about the same weight as a normal to big bass, (with exceptions of course), and you don't saee us complaining. A heavy guitar is like a thick neck, all it takes is time to get used to it, unless it is stupidly big in both cases.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
move the horns back some, so u can have upper fret access. I also think u should make the top horn shorter than the bottom horn, just think it would look better that way...

Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club.
Sry I fooled with ur design, but maybe somthin like these 2 Instead? Notice that the horns are moved back some for better fret access, for those of u who dont pay attention to detail.
Attachments:
khglkh.jpg

Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club.
Ick. I hope you don't ever play seated, or you'll be getting a facefull of upper horn.
-VOTE HERE-
[x ] ROOSEVELT

[x ] WILSON
It was only a rough draft so i'm still open to small changes like orions top picture, but is anyone going to address my question? what kind of wood is a dimebag razorback because it would be simalar to that (same size with the upper horn and without the small horns.
Well, the cheaper ones are either made out of poplar or basswood. I think the USA's are Mohagany tho.

O and before you start wondering if anybody is gonna awnser your question, you need to ask it.

O and for your first post, you can get wood blanks at www.stewmac.com or www.warmoth.com
Last edited by rockr09 at Jun 18, 2007,
the guy was on about the electrics on the bottom of the lowest horn, its a long way away from the pickups etc, so you wont be able to change whilst playing.
It was only a rough draft so i'm still open to small changes QUOTE]

I'd recommend scaling it down a little - those points are going to be a real pain if you keep them that long... Don't lose the shape all together, but just make it a little more conservative, and move the controls closer to the rest of the electrics, as drilling or routing that far into a part of the guitar that thin is bound to weaken it a fair bit.
I always mention to people who have designs similar to this, that sharp horns like that can chip or break off. Ive seen bc rich's that have had such incidents .
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
It looks a lot like the Washburn Dimebag Stealth. In comparison, I would kind of place the electronics in the same positions, since they're easily accessible.

You could try some stuff like that.
Signatures are overrated.
Last edited by seanie! at Jun 19, 2007,
No thanks i think i'll just move the electronics up a little closer to the pickups and make a little more room for my hands.