Depends on whether or not you plan to take it seriously and stick with it.
No. You may decide you don't like guitar anymore and thats a lot of money down the drain. Plus all the good players around here will hate you for have a better guitar than them.

Just don't go *too* cheap. A bad guitar forms bad habits and stunts the learning process.
Ibanez SR-500
Schecter C1 Blackjack
Ibanez GSR200
Classical acoustic

G&K Backline 600 + Goldline 210GLX cab
Vox AD30VT
Crate G40C XL
Crate BT15
EH Metal Muff
Digitech Grunge
Danelectro Fab Overdrive
M-Audio Ozonic
Tascam M-308
No, it's not. You can of course spend a couple grand on one, and find out in a year that you hate it, don't have time for it, suck at it, whatever, and you've just tossed out a lot of cash. There are some good quality inexpensive guitars out there, in the 200-300 dollar range, that will work great for a beginner. Try before you buy too. Play a few and see how you like the feel and sound of some different makes. Hey, maybe your a prodigy in disguise and don't know it yet. If you are, then later on go for a really great guitar.
Get a halfway decent guitar. If you go too low, you won't have motivation to play and you'll quit. If you get one too good, you might get bored with it and just throw it out. Midrange for you, sir.
No. no, no, no.

Quote by emad
jthm_guitarist
Warned for trolling!

Quote by metal4eva_22
Didn't you say that you had a stuffed fox that you would occasionally fuck?

Quote by Axelfox
It's not a fox,it's a wolf.
I have a squier accoustic myself. I've only been playing since last fall, and I find it a great guitar to start with, it's a mid-ranged guitar and would suggest one to anyone who asked me. Just my two cents.
...why...?
Proud Owner of a 2006 Taylor 814 CE-Fall Limited Edition

Quote by MiasmA
guys, i got it. pucture = the rare breed of green fruits that tend to laugh scoffingly and then question a statement. AKA lolwut pears

CASE CLOSED..
Get the best guitar you can afford. Nice guitars tend to play better, feel better, and sound better. If the guitar is more comfortable, and sounds better then you are more likely to have fun playing it. Getting a cheap 'starter' guitar is a big mistake made by newbs. If you get a good guitar and hate playing you can always sell it on ebay. Well taken care of high end guitars sell for almost as much as they do brand new. Cheap guitars don't sell for very much at all so if you are worried about getting your money back if you don't like it, you are still better off getting something nice.
Not taking any online orders.
There is a balance with these types of things.
When you have played for a while longer and have stuck with it you can think back and say, yes I could have safely spent as much money on my first guitar as I could afford and it was a good choice. But for those who don't stick with it.... Well, even if you do sell a guitar later on and get a fair bit of money back on it...I still don't like it, and people new too guitar are less likely to know how to properly look after a guitar, and the condition of the guitar is a massive thing for second hand sales.

If you get a good beginners guitar (eg a Yamaha FG700S) then you will get a guitar that, after a month or so, doesnt make you want to stop playing because of how bad it is. It will be good enough to keep you playing untill you are sure you will stick with it and can afford to lay down some real money on a guitar. And if you do a buy a good but cheap acoustic guitar then you can always give it to someone else who is starting to play and that way they willg et a decent guitar to start off with as well.

EDIT:
It also depends on your financial situation.
If you have money around that won't be missed then by all means by an expensive guitar to start with, maybe not spend 3grand, but spend $800ish and you can get a fantastic guitar. Either that or donate the money to charity or something else useful, But you may as well do something useful with the money instead of sitting on it, invest it in yourself and buy a decent guitar that has the potential to give you years and years of pleasure and is good for so many things from entertaining yourself and others, its good for relaxing to sit around and play stuff like that.
But also if you dont have heaps of money burning holes in your wallet then you are better to buy a cheaper guitar, but not so cheap that it is unplayable of course
Last edited by johnos at Jun 17, 2007,
the first guitar i got was 17 quid :P

(its wrecked now )

EDIT

There is one other thing (which many might not agree with). When i first started off i couldnt really tell between different guitars (the tones and sounds etc) its only when ive been playing around a bit that i got my epi sg and it sounds way better than my fender (which i wouldnt have noticed before)
Quote by Ruination
I do genuinely love her, and not just because I like her breasts you know?
Last edited by jimbojetuk at Jun 17, 2007,
If you know you will play it and want that guitar, get it. The only bad thing is minor, but I find people who start with a good guitar struggle to play on other guitars for some reason. This isn't a big problem. But it's funny.

I'd personally buy a cheap guitar first just so you can muck around with it and get a feel for playing the guitar before getting serious.
There is one other thing (which many might not agree with). When i first started off i couldnt really tell between different guitars (the tones and sounds etc) its only when ive been playing around a bit that i got my epi sg and it sounds way better than my fender (which i wouldnt have noticed before)

i agree
As usual CorduroyEW and Johnos are the voices of reason.

Everyone's financial situation is different. If you're at all serious about it, get the best guitar that you can comfortably afford - you're more likely to stick with it and be happy with the results.
Last edited by FlatLander at Jun 17, 2007,
personally i would only buy an expensive guitar if i have the determination to keep playing it otherwise its a waste of money and time so if you are going to buy an expeinsive guitar

keep playin'
I started on a really cheap (5 buck) guitar from the local (I kid you not) clothing and garden equipment store It was horrible, the neck was warped, the glue was coming apart, it never stayed in tune or anything.. I was a piece of kindling in the end.

But I stuck through, and today I own 6 guitars, all of which I love. But before, I couldnt even make out the difference between my ****ty guitar and a martin.

Just get a cheap guitar and start with it. Later on, if you catch the bug and continue you can choose your guitar with sufficient care so that you´ll stay happy with it. The sounds you look for are extremely personal. No two guitarists like exactly the same guitars.
Washburn JB100 Customshop USA
Squire Stratocaster, Squire Telecaster, highway 1 tele,
FM65r amp, Marshall MS-4 & FM-15r
Washburn b-9 five string banjo, Eagle dreadnought acoustic. Art & lutherie AMI.
Quote by FlatLander
As usual CorduroyEW and Johnos are the voices of reason.

Everyone's financial situation is different. If you're at all serious about it, get the best guitar that you can comfortably afford - you're more likely to stick with it and be happy with the results.

Hahaha, Thanks mate.