Page 1 of 4
ok i think we need less threads wit little info and yes i have started a few but i want one that if anyone is looking at buying a new OD/Distortion they can just check out this thread so please fill out the following

Type: (overdrive or distortion)

Brand:

Amp: (whatever your running it into)

Process: (wheather your running it as a boost for a yube amp or not)

Other: ( other pedal you are using to manipulate your pedals sound)

Style: (style of music you play)

and if anyone wants to ask a question about related topics that is all cool

thanks
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Last edited by angusslashdime at May 12, 2008,
Type: Overdrive

Brand: Maxon

Model: OD-9

Amp: Peavey Bandit/Marshall JCM 800.

Process: I use it to obtain a crunch and to dirty up my cleans for when necessary. Also occasionally a boost.

Style: Anything from soft rock to death metal.
Quote by dannyniceboy
I consider myself to be really intelligent and I've gotten into a fight coz this kid thought it was nasty to put sour cream on enchiladas.

Quote by Minkaro
The fact that I went TOO high singing a Darkness song on Singstar

DARK RED TEAM
thanks i hope we can get some more input
Member No. 002# of the Australia FTW! Club, PM the_random_hero or Alter-Bridge to join".
DEAN 79MLF > Fulltone OCD > Keeley TS9DX Flexi > Marshall Sliver Jubilee > Orange PPC 4x12

Brand: Ibanez

Model: TS-9

Amp: Fender Blues Jr./Marshall JCM2000 DSL 401

Process: Boost the Blues Jr., or giving my Marshall "Balls". Although I don't, it has really nice smooth gain unlike the soundclip from MusiciansFriend or sumtin.

Style: Blues to Classic Rock.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
awesome keep em coming

Last edited by angusslashdime at Jun 17, 2007,
Brand: Boss SD-1 Super Overdrive
Amp: Peavey RockMaster
Process: I run it as a bit of a vol/gain boost. It cleans up my bass a little (removes bass but seems to solidify the bass that remains), and makes for a better tone on my amp. Also works as a major mid-boost as well, cleaning up my tone perfectly for my style.
Other: I run the amp a bit overdriven, and have a Silver Dragon with it as well.
Style: Metal; preferably black metal, but also Thrash, and Death, too.
Last edited by Thurisaz at Jun 17, 2007,

Brand: Digitech Bad Monkey

Amp: Epiphone Valve Junior

Process: Using it as my gain channel. It has good classic rock gain with that Tubescreamer mid-hump, but with a slightly lower quality of sound to be expected for a pedal 1/3 of the price.

Other: None

Style: Funk, Jazz, Jazz Blues, Blues, Blues Rock, Classic Rock.

Notes: It doesn't sound quite as good as a Tubescremer, but it costs £30 - probably the best budget overdrive pedal out there, good tone for what it is, my setup gives better tone than any modelling amp I've tried in the pricerange and above (Valvetronix, Cube, Flextone, Spider etc).
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
awesome great stuff guys thanks

Brand: Fulltone OCD

Amp: Orange Rocker 30 combo

Process: Used for a lighter, smoother crunch great for rhythm work on songs that call for it. Also used in tandem with the amps dirty channel to really make it scream, for lead boosts and a heavier tone.

Other: EHX Holy Grail

Style: Classic rock, modern rock, some hardcore and blues
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail

Brand: Boss

Model: BD-2 Blues Driver

Amp: Johnson T15R, Roland Cube 30

Process: Smooth-sounding gain for rythm stuff. I use it as a boost for solos too, on the johnson, as it has a natural overdrive when cranked.

Other: It was modded when I got it. It has 2 modes. One mode, which is the stock version with more transparency, and the other mode a gain boost.

I use it with a Boss GE-7 equaliser for bass boost when necessary and a CS-1 compression sustainer, mainly for solos.

Style: Rock, metal, alternative rock, blues

Last edited by lithium26 at Jun 17, 2007,
Type: Overdrive/distortion

Brand: Homebrew Electronics (AKA HBE) Big D

Amp: Fender Bassman/ Fender Champ

Process: Works great for just a clean boost and/or very light overdrive; all the way up to heavy chugga-chugga distortion, and even (light) fuzz. Definitely the most versatile OD pedal I've ever played. The 'Bigger' switch is a very useful gain boost.

Other: I like to put my TS9 in front of it, to get a bit of a volume and gain boost out of the Big D.

Style: Blues, blues-rock, classic rock.

Brand: Ibanez

Model: TS9DX Turbo

Amp: Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Process: I use it for two different things. The TS9 for boosting my distorted signal for a solo boost, giving me a bit of smoothness to match (as the Orange is a crunchy amp). I use the "Hot" setting with some altered settings to cause my clean channel to subtly boost, with a slight overdriven undertone. The pedal integrates the original TS9 circuit with some boosted circuits which basically increase bass response.

Other: I ocassionally use a flanger or a wah. Most of my tone is amp and TS though.

Style: I play indie, rock and punk mainly.

Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Last edited by Kurapica at Jun 17, 2007,
Type: Distortion

Brand: Electro-Harmonix

Model: Micro Metal Muff (not the nano)

Process: Distortion. Very heavy distortion. However, the distortion sounds thin when the gain knob goes past 3 o'clock. I don't really use the top boost function, as it sounds bad with the high top boost and "ok" with the low top boost. Nevertheless, it is the best "metal" distortion pedal out there, and blows the bosses and digitechs away. I would have gotten the real metal muff, but the lack of money and the urgent need of the pedal mademe get this version instead. Also, I already have an equaliser pedal, so no need for the eq function to complicate things (though it makes it more versatile).

Other: I put my modded BD-2 (look on top) in front as a boost.
Boss GE-7 equaliser for a bass boost for the "metal distortion". (My amp has low-mid bass and high mid. I love mids )
Boss CS-1 Compression Sustainer

Last edited by lithium26 at Jun 17, 2007,
There is kind of an accessories thread for this kind of stuff, you may not have noticed it

...But I guess it's their fault for not organizing it well enough. Anyway :

Type: Both

Brand: Boss OS-2 Overdrive/Distortion

Amp: Fender Blues Junior

Process: A bit of everything, really. It has 4 knobs - Level, Tone, Drive and Colour. The colour knob chooses between more of an overdriven sound or a more distorted sound. In total honesty, the distortion end of the knob is pretty poor, so I mostly use it on the OD end. It does a good job of boosting for leads, and chunky rhythm sections too, with clever use of your pickup selector. You can get a fairly reasonable AC/DC style tone out of it. The OS-2 is excellent if you're looking for a versatile, relatively cheap pedal. However, you will probably want to upgrade sooner or later, as I will. Costs around £45 ($90 USD).

Other: MXR Phase 90, the pair of pedals don't go together well at the same time. But that's fine, because I usually don't have the OS-2 on much.

Style: Rock, Blues, Classic Rock, Prog Rock, Experimental.

type: overdrive
brand: digitech
model: bad monkey
process: I use it both as a texas style clean overdrive for stuff like zz top, a clean boost for srv type stuff, and a strong overdrive for a british rock sound
amp: 1965 silvertone twin twelve (tube)
style: bluesy-ballsy-detroit style rock
Quote by Sir-Shoelace
manliest string guage? barbed wire.

Founder Of the UG Slide Player's Guild, PM me If You're Really Feelin' Dem Blues

THE PIT
"better than your average psychiatrist"

Model: DS-2 Turbo Distortion

Process: I only use Turbo Mode 2, as Turbo Mode 1 is too "flat" and muddy for my liking. Mode 2 is the way I like it. It has a mids boost on mode 2 and I like it that way. It was my first pedal and my only pedal for a couple of months, and I use it less now that I have my Micro Metal Muff (a few posts up), but it's better than the MM for some of the songs my band plays (such as the Chili Peppers), so I actually have 2 distortion pedals. This pedal is very easy to use and extremely good for a first pedal.

Other: I put my modded BD-2 (look on top) in front as a boost.
Boss GE-7 equaliser for a bass boost. (My amp has low-mid bass and high mid. I love mids )
Boss CS-1 Compression Sustainer (The DS-2 really shines with this pedal)

Note: John Frusciante uses this pedal! That prooves how good it is!

Type: (Death Metal)Distortion

Brand: DOD

Amp: Fender FM 212R

Process: Main distortion for my Ibanez RG350EXBK, ESP M-200FM, and my Ibanez JEM at the moment. I'm thinking of investing into a Tube Screamer to fatten up my Boss DS-1 pedal, which I hardly use anymore, because the DOD Death Metal pedal is very limiting.

Other: I have a DS-1, a Boss CS-2 Compressor/Sustainer and a Zakk Wylde Wah pedal(which I'm trying to sell at the moment). I don't really use those pedals anymore, besides the wah cuz its all I got in terms of wah.

Style: Shred(a la Malmsteen, Steve Vai) Metal( thrash, speed, power, death), Rock, blues, Jazz,fusion.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Type: Both OD & Distortion

Brand: Visual Sound

Model: Jeckyll & Hyde

Amp: Fender Twin Reverb

Process: A few things that I do is utilize OD/Distortion together for a warmer meaty sound on rhythms. I'll turn off the OD and use just distortion for higher end sounding metal-like solos. Sometimes just the OD for a more edgier blues sound whether it be for rhythm or solos.

Other: I usually have the reverb dialed up about half way almost all of the time. I'm currently experimenting with the tremolo function of my amp along with my Ibanez Flanger. I use a Vox wah pedal for soloing. Still currently searching for my own signature sound.

Style: Variations of rock

Amp: Fender Twin Reverb - 65 Reissue
Guitars: Fender Custom Fat Strat HSS, Gibson SG Special, Yamaha RGZ-321P [Dimarzio Breed (N)/Evo (B)]
Effects: Jeckyll & Hyde Dist/OD, Ibanez Flanger, Vox Wah, Line 6 DL-4 Delay, Route 66 Comp/OD
Last edited by CarlitosWhey at Jun 17, 2007,
awesome this is going great and ask for requests at will as it bumps up the thread

sorry i didnt see the one in accessories

oh yeah and the pictures are great awesome idea

Brand: Boss Super Overdrive SD-1

Amp: Ibanez IBZ10G / Line 6 Spider II

Process: My main OD sound, as the ones on both the Ibanez and Line 6 suck. Really good for bluesy sorta stuff, and fits perfectly for when I play at church. It doesn't quite have enough 'oomph' for some of the other stuff I'd like to play, but I have my DF-2 to handle that, and I got it on sale so you can't argue about that.

Other: I have the DF-2, PH-3 and VT-1. When with the PH-3 on a certain setting, it sounds like a wah pedal, which I quite like. Don't use it much with the VT-1 (thats more for clean stuff).

Style: Indie Rock, Alternative, Christian Rock, and just normal rock
Type: Fuzz/Distortion

Brand: Electro-Harmonix Big Muff PI (USA)

Amp: Marshall MG15-CDR/Marshall JCM2000

Process: It's a great boost for me in solos. I use Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion for rythms and both for solos. It's a very fuzzy pedal so it has a lot of gain. With Boss at the same time it's very noisy...

Other: Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion, Boss CH-1 Super Chorus, Dunlop Crybaby GCB-95, Ibanez LU-10 Chromatic Tuner, and Electro-Harmonix Big Muff PI USA

Style: I play a lot of The Red Hot Chili Peppers, John Frusciante solo stuff, Arctic Monkeys, Metallica, Linkin Park so different styles... But mainly The Chilis...
Epiphone Les Paul Studio 2005
Marshall JTM-60
MXR Phase 90
Ibanez WH-10 Wah
EHX Big Muff USA
Boss DS-2 Turbo Distortion
EHX Q-Tron +
Line 6 FM-4 Filter Modeler
Fender CD60 Acoustic
John Frusciante and RED HOT CHILI PEPPERS UG fanclub.

Brand: Boss Blues Driver

Amp: Fender Blues Jr

Process: As a second channel, adds some real nice gain, sort of crunchy and Marshally, but a bit brighter.

Other: I sometimes use my OD3 with it, sounds great together, it boosts it and adds more gain+crunch.

Style: Classic rock, psychedelic, blues.
"Breathe, breathe in the air
Don't be afraid to care"

Fender Strat/Tokai LS80>few pedals>Orange Rocker 30
Type: Overdrive/Sustain

Brand: EHX Bigg Muff NY

Amp: Fender 59' Bassman

Process: Fuzzy distorted heaven, Singing sustain, Endless amounts of vintage style fun.

Other: Generates GOOD style feedback at really hihg volumes.

Style: Classic rock, psychedelic, blues, Rock, Prog.

y'all know what it looks like.

Brand: ProCo Rat (vintage 1980)

Amp: Mojave Scorpion

Process: I just got this new routing setup from Mojave Amp Works last week. Guitar
runs into the Rat, then into the Scorpion. Amp speaker output to Palmer
PDI-03 load box for load only. Line out of the amp to Lexicon reverb/delay
& 1978 MXR flanger, then into power amp/Mojave 2X12 cab. The amp runs
wide open (non-master volume), but power amp regulates volume. Sounds
like a fully cranked amp even at low volume, w/ no signal loss like an
attenuator. This setup duplicates the early Van Halen brown sound almost
exactly-closest duplication I've heard anywhere!
BTW, this is how Billy Gibbons sets up his Scorpion->load box/power amp...

Other: See process above

Style: Old school metal
Quote by 311ZOSOVHJH
Riffhog for President

Quote by Cathbard
There's no point apologising for your feet smelling when there's a 300lb gorilla in the room taking a crap on the couch.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2011

Brand: MXR

Model: ZW-44

Amp: Epi Valve Junior

Process: Used it for a nice lead boost. Very trebley when the tone knob is put past 12 o'clock, but is very crunchy. Not too gainy, but when the output dimed and the vj cranked gave off some very nice hard rock tones. Unfortunately doing that blew something in the pedal and in my amp at the same time.

Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Last edited by UnsignedRecords at Jun 18, 2007,
I think this one should work here:

Type: Treble booster/ booster

Brand: Affectronix

Model: Brit Master

Amp: Orange Rocker 30

Process: I use it to boost my amps gain and volume, mostly for solos. I also use it to get feedback. I generally use it to get more sustain and to cut through the mix easier, since the treble boost section makes your high frequencies cut through better it's great for solos.

Other: Sometimes a Vox V847

Style: Classic rock, 60's pop and rock, blues

Picture:
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
ha no problem
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Quote by rockxwl

Brand: Fulltone OCD

Amp: Orange Rocker 30 combo

Process: Used for a lighter, smoother crunch great for rhythm work on songs that call for it. Also used in tandem with the amps dirty channel to really make it scream, for lead boosts and a heavier tone.

Other: EHX Holy Grail

Style: Classic rock, modern rock, some hardcore and blues

there's only one word for your rig: Tone.
NYLON ACOUSTICS!

Quote by Stop Messin'
Circle jerk eh? Jeez look out Eddie Van Halen, The_Clap is making a Spankenstrat

Quote by zeppelinpage4
Yeah no foreplay needed with a Blues Jr. she'll warm herself up.

Model: SD-1

Amp: Peavey Valveking 212

Process: gain and tone down, level up. used as a clean boost

Other: none

Style: Hardcore, Metalcore, Metal, Classic Rock
Epiphone Custom 1966 SG w/EMG 85(B)
Epiphone Les Paul
Peavey Valveking
Boss SD-1 Overdrive; NS-2
Fender Tuner
Type: OD

Brand: MI Audio

Model: Tube Zone

Amp: Fender 65 Twin Reverb Reissue

Process: I use it so I can go from the perfect Fender clean to the legendary Marshall "plexi" crunch.

Other: I use it in conjunction w/ an iSP Noise Decimator (because the pedal has a slight hiss), a ZVEX Vexter Fuzz Factory, a MXR KFK 10-band EG (really helps mold the distortion), and a Boss CE-5.

Style: Blues Rock (Zep, Aerosmith, Cream, Black Crowes) & Garage/Indie rock (White Stripes, the Strokes)

Brand: DOD

Model: 250 Preamp/OD

Amp: Peavey Bravo 212 (tube)

Process: boost, adds a little dirt. really sounds nice, great for classic rock.

Other: keeley DS1, chorus, DOD compressor, fuzz, boost, a few more.

Style: shred, technoshred.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!

Brand: Fulltone

Model: OCD

Amp: Orange Rocker 30.

Process: Makes your amp's tone very saturated and thick while being very touchy-touchy with harmonics and smoothness. Great pedal for boosting your tone and sound as well!.

Other: Nothing else, probably an RMC Picture Wah, though.

Style: Classic Rock, Hard Rock, Blues, Metal.
Co-Founder of the Orange Revolution Club

-Esp/Ltd Ec-1000 w/ BKP Mules
-2-channel Titan
-Oversized Bogner 2x12 Cabinet
-Fulltone OCD
-RMC Picture Wah
-T.C. Electronic Nova Delay
-Larrivee D-03R
Quote by synester_gates

Model: SD-1

Amp: Peavey Valveking 212

Process: gain and tone down, level up. used as a clean boost

Other: none

Style: Hardcore, Metalcore, Metal, Classic Rock

Sorry to sound annoying, but the SD-1 is an overdrive NOT a treble booster.
Quote by stratman_13
It's okay Gabel. You kick ass.

18watter video demo

My band

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
^ ha don't worry about it. not pointing it out would be wayy more annoying.
and just to not let this nice pic go to waste...

Model: BD-2

Amp: Epi Valve Junior

Process: A pretty gainy pedal once the gain's turned up a bit. I find it to be pretty transparent when the gain's set to 0, which makes for a nice clean boost. Unfortunately i can't boost my VJ very much without it shorting out.. but it's nice while it lasts. The tone knob is pretty subtle, but still has it's sweet spots. I don't find it very tinny or buzzy as some say, but some modding couldn't do this pedal harm.

Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Brand: Electro-Harmonix American Big Muff

Amp: Tranyor YCV40

Process: I usually use it for leads. Singing violin like sustains is an accurate description. It's also great for experimenting with sounds and feedback. I wouldn't use this pedal for rhythm though. It's too much thickness for my taste and gets real muddy.

Other: I usually use delay, wah, and my whammy with the big muff.

Style: Rock, blues, jazz, funk, experimentally,

Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by The_Clap
there's only one word for your rig: Tone.

you're very kind
Gibson SG Standard
Orange Rocker 30 combo
Fulltone OCD
EH Holy Grail
awesome stuff guy and yeah any treble booster or clen boost is welcome keep em coming

Page 1 of 4