I finally got a bass of my own, and after doing some slap (10-20 minutes) my popping finger is ****ed, i figure this is normal, but my question is: How long does it take till my finger will be more resistant to this?
Quote by aradine
i wish i got disowned by my grandparents so i could stay home tommorow and fap.

Guitars:
Ibanez RG350EX

Amps:
Vox Valvetronix 30
Shouldn't take long, maybe a week or so? The ends of your fingers will become much tougher and callouses will probably develop.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
TBH, I wouldn't start straight out on slap, and would just do fingerstyle for a couple of weeks.

I does 2 things.

Gets you more comfortable with the string and fret spacings, so you feel comfortable with the instrument.
As indie rightly said, it also helps to toughen up your fingers. I never underastood what slap was (I knew how it sounded, but couldn't figure out how to play it) for almost a year, so even now, when I am still pretty bad at slap, my fingers hardly ever get sore, because I'm so used to the feel of the strings. My forearm gets tired before my hands do (about 1 hour solid now).
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
About a week to a month depending on how long you play and how much. It took me about a week. Don't start slaping and poping right away. Just get used to your bass and the thinkness of the strings.
The next Cliff Burton
Last edited by metalbassist666 at Jun 17, 2007,
Quote by t3h guitar n00b
I finally got a bass of my own, and after doing some slap (10-20 minutes) my popping finger is ****ed, i figure this is normal, but my question is: How long does it take till my finger will be more resistant to this?

Also, I'd advise not pushing yourself too hard on it just yet. You've got to hold yourself back a bit whilst your callus develops, otherwise the skin might begin peeling off, leaving you back where you started.

Can be frustrating, I know, but in my experience playing a little bit each day is more effective than woodshedding for hours on end for one day and then being unable to do anything for the rest of the week when your fingers are buggered.

Once your calluses are developed, then comes the major woodshedding

Just my $.02