Guys my music writing is just plain bland!

I'm an experienced player, but I just can't right decent stuff lately.

I know my modes and scales (well enough at the mo!). I know chords too. What else must I know?
You need inspiration, and melody. Melody comes from chords.
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
Melody doesn't need to come from chords.
The "Popped Collar" Award(Sexiest)
Elvenkindje

The "Rest In Real Life" Award(Best Past MT Mod)
Elvenkindje
Inspiration, get inspired before you even pick up ure guitar (im sure u know what this feels like and how to do it, it's different for everyone).

Then practice improvisation, try just playing on the basic pentatonic scale, then experiment using notes outside the scale as passing notes and rectifying it back to the scale. Then try the same thing with the natural minor and harmonic minor scales. If you play something u like that sounds interesting, write it down and try to use it as a hook or base of a song.
I can come up with licks and some melodies, but I can never get them into a complete song.

What does one mean by melody comes from chords?
You build your melodies off of the defining characteristics of the chord over which you are playing.

Although, like elven said, they aren't required to come from the chords.

Your problem, it seems, is that you don't have any inspiration. Start listening to music everywhere you go... a lot of music does you a lot of good.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by elvenkindje
Melody doesn't need to come from chords.

Absolutely right.

But chord's nature is to hold the strongest melody notes inside (true?).
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
like a cage?

To me melody is entirely separate from chords although harmony can link them.

LISTEN

PRACTICE

PLAY

these are your new mantras.
like a cage?

To me melody is entirely separate from chords although harmony can link them.

Not like a cage, more like gravity. i.e. the melody can move away but not too far.

If the melody is totally unrelated to the chords (or equivalent) it just wont sound right (like jazz).

There needs to be some connection, but not always a rigid one.
Quote by Mr Personality

If the melody is totally unrelated to the chords (or equivalent) it just wont sound right (like jazz).

!
watch what you're dumping on there...