This is the beginning of the song smells like teen spirit:

e|----------
B|----------
G|----------
D|-3--3-3-
A|-3--3-3-
E|-1--1-1-

On the D and A strings, which finger should i use on the 3rd fret to hold these two strings down? ring, pinky, or both?
Lots of peope will tell you its personal preference.
Myself, i'd use my ring finger to fret the D and A strings together and my index finger for the low E.
Other people will tell you to use ring finger for A and pinky for D, just try all sorts of combos and use whichever is most comfortable, good luck.
My gear:
Fender 50th anniv American Strat Deluxe NICE
Fender Eric johnson Strat SEXY
Gibson SG Special Gothic II RAW
Ibanez JS 1000 VERSATILE
Gibson Les Paul Custom OOH BABY
Mesa Boogie Dual Rectifier Head & Cab LET'S ROCK
ringfinger on 3rd fret A and D string so you have your pink free, always learned to use as little fingers as possible.
when i started though i used pink for A and D string, especially on lower frets, cause my fingers werent that flexible yet.
Quote by Mike898
This is the beginning of the song smells like teen spirit:

e|----------
B|----------
G|----------
D|-3--3-3- pinky
A|-3--3-3- ring
E|-1--1-1- index

On the D and A strings, which finger should i use on the 3rd fret to hold these two strings down? ring, pinky, or both?

There you go.
Use your ring and pinky. Trust me. Get in the habit of using those for power chords so you can easily switch to a nice barre chord due to the bottom strings being open like this

e|-1-- pointer
B|-1-- pointer
G|-1-- pointer
D|-3-- pinky
A|-3-- ring
E|-1-- pointer

Not only that but you can just play the power chord and then play those notes under it seperately for some melody.
I will try all of these suggestions, thanks. One more thing: without the amp buzzing/rattling is more noticeable then usual. whats happening? am i pressing too hard? too soft? btw, i just got my guitar thursday, and it was a display model.
Last edited by Mike898 at Jun 17, 2007,