I've got a really cheap Drum Kit, like a 100 quid one its a Performance Percussion one and I play guitar but barely eve use the drums. I think it's because I don't enjoy playing my specifric drumkit - it's horrible. Worst is the bass drum, it just makes a horrible sound that is completely unsuitable for recording for songs and things and very hard to play. I have been told that the horrible sounds is because I have of the skin on the back of the drum and that I need to take tht skin off and fill the bass drum with blankets. Is this true ? Will it improve the sound of my bass drum and make my drumming experience eassily and more enjoyable ???
A7XS oad
Filling the bass drum definatley does make a difference, and it did for me, so you should try that out. You might also want to cut a small hole in the kick drum as this can improve the sound of it too.

Also, are your other drums in tune?
yeah you can probably make the sound passable by tuning it well
I know this 4 year old who has a groove percussion kit but his dad's a like a pro drummer, and with stock heads etc and some tuning it sounds incredible
my tip for kick drums: tighten the batter head JUST enough so that the lugs arent moving around, tape a coin to a credit card you dont need and tape all that on the batter head where the beater hits it, and put a cushion in it, just touch the batter head
Quote by a7xsoad
I've got a really cheap Drum Kit, like a 100 quid one its a Performance Percussion one and I play guitar but barely eve use the drums. I think it's because I don't enjoy playing my specifric drumkit - it's horrible. Worst is the bass drum, it just makes a horrible sound that is completely unsuitable for recording for songs and things and very hard to play. I have been told that the horrible sounds is because I have of the skin on the back of the drum and that I need to take tht skin off and fill the bass drum with blankets. Is this true ? Will it improve the sound of my bass drum and make my drumming experience eassily and more enjoyable ???

add some triggers and get a Roland TD6, or TD6V drum module, they go for just under $400 used and sound great.
Quote by a7xsoad

Do you have O rings? They work as the same principle as the blanket in the bass drum. It basically stops it like ringing out. If you dont have O rings buy them and place them on your toms and snare they are only about £3 each.
I used an old curtain inside my bass drum to stop the ringing.
Also are you sure you have tuned them right. The biggest problem would be if they are not in tune with each other.
It would be rather foolish (and im not calling you a fool) to have say your floor tom tuned really low and your rack tom really high. So just fiddle with them a bit DONT FORGET TO TUNE BOTH HEADS and you should get the sound you want.
If you still cant get them to sound right replace the heads.
I shalt presume you know how to tune then.

So basically
Tune them so they fit in with eachother
and buy o rings or use blanket if you dont have them.
this will help you no end. http://home.earthlink.net/~prof.sound/

Your next big problem is that cheap drum kit, you will have difficulty at making it sound great. Look for an old pearl export, they go for peanuts.

If you have a batter side to your bass (the bit where the beater hits) and a reso (the oher side), tune the batter in opposites like car wheel nuts until the wrinkles in the head disapear, then tune the batter head to the same tension, if it makes a huge boom like a cannon, youve done it right!, just but a towel in there to quietn it a bit. Just tune it how you want, the tighter the heads are the higher the pitch really.
Squier Classic Vibe Custom
Vox Pathfinder 15R
Fender Jazz Bass
There is no problem with the cheap kit, as long as it has a good size (>18") kick drum, a snare, and at least 2 toms you're fine.

The reason why it isn't sounding good is the heads and tuning. First, buy a remo powerstroke 3 coated head for your kick drum. Put that on there are tighten it a bit, making sure it's of equal tension all the way round. Put a blanket or pillow in the shell covering the bottom 1/4 of the drum. Then put your resonant head on if you like, I leave it off. The kick will sound good now, if it's too low, just tighten the batter head. Too sharp, loosen it.

Same goes for all the toms, except you NEED resonant heads in addition to batter heads. I recommend Remo Coated Ambassadors or Emporers for the batter heads, and clear Diplomats for the resonant heads. Try and tune the kit as if it's one instrument, not each drum separate. I'd recommend tuning the resonant heads a tone lower than the batter heads, but tuning them to equal tones sounds good too.

The snare, buy a Remo Hazy for the snare side, and a coated ambassador for the batter. Tune it the same way, then put the snares on, tighten, and fine tune. Your kit will sounds great. You don't need a $1000 kit to sound good. I got mine for $150 used and after I replaced all the heads and tuned up it started to sound great. Still does.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation