Ok I decided I am going to either buy a new amp or a new guitar because I am not satisfied with the current sound I am getting. I currently have an old charvel by jackson and a squire bullet by fender for guitars and a synsonic bass guitar. The amp I currently have is a bass amp and came with the bass guitar. the current amp is an excel xb20 bass amp that came with the bass guitar that I baught second hand a few years back. One friend tells me its the guitar that sounds bad and another freind says its because I am using a bass amp for a six string

I have money to buy one but dont know which would be the best investment. I think the amp would be the first thing I should upgrade so I will have an actual guitar amp rather than a bass amp. On the other hand I want to play mostly metal music and none of my guitars are very good for metal. I dont really play in a band. Its mostly just me in my garage playing older metallica music but occasionally friends come over and we jam together. I have $500 to play with

Should I go with an amp or guitar? Any suggestions on an amp or guitar?
"The true key to immortality is not the ability to live forever, but the ability to achieve things that will be remembered long after you are gone"
^ VJ for metal? No, VJ's are WAY too vintage-ish for that unless you have a good OD or distortion (although there's no sense in buying an amp if you can't use it, on its own, for what you want). A guitar through a bass amp will NOT blow the speakers, by the way, but a bass through a guitar amp will. Guitar speakers can't handle the bass frequencies, but bass speakers can handle the highs.

The only thing I agree with is that you should get an amp before a new guitar, as it's a good portion of your tone. Maybe you should look at a Cube 30 or 60, unless you know you want tube.
A Charvel should be fine for metal, unless it's something odd like a surfcaster...the amp is the problem here, plain and simple.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Roland Cube 30x
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Quote by steven seagull
A Charvel should be fine for metal, unless it's something odd like a surfcaster...the amp is the problem here, plain and simple.

Agreed on both counts.

For another $60, maybe something like the Randall RG50TC. That amp would last you a long time.

Otherwise, a Cube probably isn't a terrible choice.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by slatsmania
Agreed on both counts.

For another $60, maybe something like the Randall RG50TC. That amp would last you a long time.

Otherwise, a Cube probably isn't a terrible choice.

That amp looks nice. Think Im going to up me spending limit the extra 60-70 bucks and get one of those.
"The true key to immortality is not the ability to live forever, but the ability to achieve things that will be remembered long after you are gone"