Right, so I'm writing this scary/eerie/weird sounding song and so far it's going real good but I want to make it even better by adding stuff. Firstly, I want to add diminished chords, but I'm not sure how to go about it. There are no diminished chords in any key, so which ones do I add? The song is in B Harmonic Minor, with a few but little accidentals. Secondly, I was hoping to make it even creepier by mixing in some evil, circus sounding music (I really hope someone knows what I mean lol), and I was wondering what chord progressions and interals I could use for that. Thanx for any help in advance!
I wouldn't try and force a diminished chord in there, that won't lead to good results. Think about what the song needs, not what you want the song to have.

And there is a diminished chord in every major scale.
Quote by Godzilla1969
I love you, Muphin. You have great taste in music.

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Circus music can be played like a fast-paced waltz, in 3/4 time. I dunno when you said circus music I just thought of an accordion playing a waltz.
Quote by Muphin
I wouldn't try and force a diminished chord in there, that won't lead to good results. Think about what the song needs, not what you want the song to have.

And there is a diminished chord in every major scale.

=/

I learnt that there is a half-dminished, but no fully diminished.
How do you work out the diminished chord of a scale (Not to confuse with half-diminished, which I already know =])
--------------------------------------------------------------------
----3-3----3-3----3-3----3-3----3-3----3-3----3-3----3-3--
-5------0-------5-------0------5-------0-------5-------0-------

thats in drop c taken from "peephole" by soad, but you can change it to fit into your song. i remember i used to mess around with that riff and make it into scary circus music or whatever
Quote by noahray
--------------------------------------------------------------------

thats in drop c taken from "peephole" by soad, but you can change it to fit into your song. i remember i used to mess around with that riff and make it into scary circus music or whatever

Thankyou! That's exactly what I was looking for!

*Similar riff now in song*
Quote by michal23
=/

I learnt that there is a half-dminished, but no fully diminished.
How do you work out the diminished chord of a scale (Not to confuse with half-diminished, which I already know =])

It's still a diminished triad. A fully diminished chord adds a bb7.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
put in chords that are really horrible sounding to the ear, like a chord made of chromatic notes
Dude, adding tritones will really add to the tension, it sounds dissonant but still very musical, and sinister. Are you in a drop tuning? If so, do this: And make it in the carnival rhythm style.

----------------------------
-------3-----3------------
-0-----2-----2------------
-0-----1-----1------------
-0----------------------------

And just repeat it or whatever, it sounds really good and diabolical.
Quote by insideac
Dude, adding tritones will really add to the tension, it sounds dissonant but still very musical, and sinister. Are you in a drop tuning? If so, do this: And make it in the carnival rhythm style.

-------3-----3------------
-0-----2-----2------------
-0-----1-----1------------
-0----------------------------

And just repeat it or whatever, it sounds really good and diabolical.

Wow you're right, it does work!
I'm not in drop tuning, but I can have two guitars doing it. Thanx a lot!
Okay, so last question =]. Is there any dodgy-sounding, eerie chord progressions I could use? Can be any sort of chords, doesn't have to be just power chords. I have 2/3 of the song finished, just need a bridge/ending that will top it off, but then leave it hanging with no resolution!
there is a diminished chord in all keys, the VII chord is always diminished. You can try using diminished chords that arent in key, that would add a lot of tension, try it out.
End with a diminished triad. Not a fully diminished, not a half diminished, just 1 b3 b5. That is leaving with no resolution.

Or you could try ending with an augmented chord, it'll give the same type of cliffhanger ending.

Perhaps the ending could consist of IVMaj7 - V7 - VIIdim Not strummed, but arpeggiated with some delay and a bit of overdrive. The VIIdim should be slowly downstrummed though, no delay.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Quote by ouchies
Isn't 1 b3 b5 half diminished? I think, I'm not too sure though. x.x

1 b3 b5 b7 is half diminished
1 b3 b5 bb7 is full diminished
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
I think you should check out some buckethead stuff.
Add alot of tritones and stuff.
Also listen to alot of horror movie scores
Check out Mr Bungle - Carousel. I found a video that has it as background music:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8ogC2RlMkxo

Try to get the whole song if you can, it changes quite a lot and might offer some inspiration At around the 3:00 minute mark it changes, it's quite dark really.

I think Korn have a track that might be of interest as well, but I can't think which one it is right now...
Do a run like this

e|--------------
B|---------------
G|---------------
D|---------9h12-
A|-----8h11-
E|-7h10

Then do it chromatically, EVIL
Quote by paulefty
Dr. No I LOVE YOUR AVATAR!
Quote by Muphin
1 b3 b5 b7 is half diminished
1 b3 b5 bb7 is full diminished

ohh okay, would you just call it mb5 then?
Quote by ouchies

I just call it a diminished chord.

I call 1 b3 b5 bb7 a diminished 7th chord, noting the diminished 7th.

I call 1 b3 b5 b7... I don't know what I call it.
Quote by Godzilla1969

Quote by Pacifica112J
Muphin > You

The Cooperation
Thanx loads guys, your replies really have helped me a great deal. Any other suggestions more than welcome!
Lead wise look at some of the Shawn Lane diminished and augmented type licks.
Quest for "the tone": pending.
If you want to throw in a "solo" or bridge or some lead line like that, try harmonizing over it in minor thirds. Forget melodic sense and music theory; just constant minor thirds. It's whacky, but generally it sounds awesome.
Everything that works well for circus-style music has really already been said; 3/4 waltz time, moving bassline on beat 1... for inspiration (if you need it) check out "After All" by David Bowie.
Quote by SethMegadefan
If you want to throw in a "solo" or bridge or some lead line like that, try harmonizing over it in minor thirds. Forget melodic sense and music theory; just constant minor thirds. It's whacky, but generally it sounds awesome.
Everything that works well for circus-style music has really already been said; 3/4 waltz time, moving bassline on beat 1... for inspiration (if you need it) check out "After All" by David Bowie.

The minor thirds work beautifully to end the solo, thankyou very much indeed! More specifically I have put descending minor third intervals in a chromatic order. E.g. C, minor third down, B, minor third down, A#, minor third down, etc.
Quote by michal23
The minor thirds work beautifully to end the solo, thankyou very much indeed! More specifically I have put descending minor third intervals in a chromatic order. E.g. C, minor third down, B, minor third down, A#, minor third down, etc.

Awesome... just... awesome...
Cripes, I don't have GuitarPro. Can I download it for free or something? I think I might've done a free trial for it once before; it was either that or Power Tab. I'd really love to see what you've got so far, it sounds sweet!
Quote by SethMegadefan
Awesome... just... awesome...
Cripes, I don't have GuitarPro. Can I download it for free or something? I think I might've done a free trial for it once before; it was either that or Power Tab. I'd really love to see what you've got so far, it sounds sweet!

Hmmm you could download it for free off places like limewire etc.

I think i can send you the midi file if you want, but chances are it will sound awful
Quote by michal23
Hmmm you could download it for free off places like limewire etc.

LimeWire? Why, what makes you think that I partake in such illegal tomfoolery? [glances around nervously]

Yeah, I'll give that a shot
I could check their website and try to download it there, too. If all else fails, you could send me the MIDI, but that's is worse comes to worst.
Last edited by SethMegadefan at Jun 18, 2007,
Quote by ouchies

no, its diminished.
major: 1-3-5
minor:1-b3-5
Dim:1-b3-b5
Half diminished seven chord (diminished triad w/ minor seventh): 1-b3-b5-b7
Fully diminished seven chord (diminished triad w/ dim. seventh): 1-b3-b5-bb7
every major key has a diminished chord derived from the seventh note (leading tone)
in a minor key the second note (supertonic) becomes the root of the diminished triad.
in both major and minor there can only be a half diminished seventh chord unless you want to borrow notes/chords.