Okay, so I already kinda posted this in the drug thread, but this is more of a legal question. Me and some friends were out walking in my friend's neighborhood at 2 am a few nights ago. Apparently, someone had called the cops about some group of kids shooting off fireworks nearby, which was not us. So the police came to the neighborhood and stopped us and asked us if we were the kids. We told them no. We weren't acting suspicious or anything, we were just answering their questions. Then the cop asked to search our pockets, and I'm sure if one of us had a bag or something he would've searched it as well.

I won't go into more detail about the misdemeanor I got in trouble for or anything, but was this a legal search? To my understanding, a cop should have a warrant to search unless he has suspicion of possession of a firearm. Is this correct?

Oh yeah, there was also no curfew in this neighborhood at the time, though there probably will be one now.
I'd say the cop was being a prick but you would defo loose the court case if you tried to sue or press charges. Just be glad you didn't get it worse
I believe they are allowed to search if they have "suspicion of illegal activity." I guess that if they think you might be the firework kids, then they could search you. But I could be wrong.
Quote by ckellingc
puffycow, you rock

Quote by Krieg Commando
Puffycow, you've got mojo

touch me
Yeah it probably won't help to bring it up in court but I think it might be worth a shot. The only punishment I'm getting anyway is like a few classes in this drug rehab thing (they found a pipe on me) and then the charge gets dropped I believe.
I believe by the fourth amendment that was illegeal for him to do even though he had a report of probable cause he can't search you because you have no evidence that ytou were using any fireworks and if he gave you a misdemeanor you can take him to court over it.
**** cops!!!!!!!!!
I believe it was not a legal search. They should not have done that.
Gear:
Epi Les Paul Custom (Ebony)
Boss CH-1 Chorus
Ibanez Weeping Demon
i think thats probable cause. So he could search you
My Rig:
Fender American Strat w/ texas specials
Martin DX1
Blueridge Br73
1968 Domino Californian
Stagg bass
2006 Fender hot rod deluxe
Gretsch Electromatic compact amp
among others
It depends on the laws where you live I guess, but round here(England) they can only search your top layer of clothes, or somethin, without a warrant. So searching INSIDE your pockets and bags would have been illegal without a warrant
No it wasn't an illegal search, at least not in the UK. There are no general police powers to stop and search but it may be exercised if a police constable is suspicious. Even if you told the truth, the police constable may have reasonable grounds for believing that you have lied, you being the only kids in that area, possibly. When he asked you if he could search, you can have said no.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後
¸.•´¸.•´¨¸.•¤¨哭泣我不在這裡 我不在那裡請在嗶一聲之後留
(¸.•´ (¸.•´ .•´(´¸.•¤´`¤下自己的秘密請在嗶一聲之後對話筒沾自喜請在嗶一聲之後對空氣唉聲嘆氣

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Last edited by Harmonius at Jun 17, 2007,
Quote by puffycow
I believe they are allowed to search if they have "suspicion of illegal activity." I guess that if they think you might be the firework kids, then they could search you. But I could be wrong.

Then what would be the point of any law enforcment having to get a court order search warrant?
no a cop can do a strip search on the spot if he feels its necesary, or wants 2 sexualy assault you
Emancipate yourselves from mental slavery, none but ourselves can free our minds.
Quote by JDawg
Then what would be the point of any law enforcment having to get a court order search warrant?

Search warrants only happen in serious cases or cases of indictable offences.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by AceOfBlades
It depends on the laws where you live I guess, but round here(England) they can only search your top layer of clothes, or somethin, without a warrant. So searching INSIDE your pockets and bags would have been illegal without a warrant

Not heard of 'stop and search' laws?

Legal here definitely, but you guys have weird laws about what is and isn't allowed. Either way, I support that he searched you. Nothing to hide, nothing to fear.

Quote by JDawg

Those are for property, not people. They need warrants to search buildings.
<Dobzilla> because "when you were born, they thought yo' momma shit herself."
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by bikerboyjosh
no a cop can do a strip search on the spot if he feels its necesary, or wants 2 sexualy assault you

No, a police constable cannot do a strip search on the spot.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Quote by Inimical
If you said yes when he asked, then he was allowed.

Troof.
マリ「しあわっせはーあるいってこないだーからあるいってゆっくんだねーん 
いっちにっちいっぽみーかでさんぽ
 さーんぽすすんでにっほさっがるー 
じーんせいはっわんつー!ぱんち・・・

"Success is as dangerous as failure. Hope is as hollow as fear." - from Tao Te Ching

Quote by Harmonius
No, a police constable cannot do a strip search on the spot.

He can if you agree, otherwise the only other option is to accompany them to the station and do it there where you have no choice.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
Quote by Rankles
He can if you agree, otherwise the only other option is to accompany them to the station and do it there where you have no choice.

Not in the UK. It wouldn't be in public interest if that were to happen and it certainly couldn't take place on private land. The Police Station is the only option, otherwise a police constable may take off outer clothing, gloves and jacket. A strip search is classified intimate.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

Nope, what they did was perfectly legal, you just got ****ed over man. Police are allowed to search as long as they have probable cause... the fireworks call. Ive been screwed over a few times by this before, it sucks, but its legal.

One time I was at summer school and the teacher misplaced her wallet after a visit to a vending machine (the fat bitch.) When the bus arrived back at my school, there was cops waiting in the parking lot and grabbed me as soon as I got off. They strip-searched me down to my boxers, and when they saw that I was both completely broke and not having a girly wallet on me they instructed me to "stay out of trouble" and were on their way.
The other time, me and my girlfriend were sitting on a playground near my house and I guess the police got a call saying that a bunch of teenagers broke into a house nearby. Nothing was found on us again, and once again we were instructed to "stay out of trouble" and they were on their way.

Moral of this story... very gay, very legal.
Quote by absinthe5765
Nope, what they did was perfectly legal, you just got ****ed over man. Police are allowed to search as long as they have probable cause... the fireworks call. Ive been screwed over a few times by this before, it sucks, but its legal.

One time I was at summer school and the teacher misplaced her wallet after a visit to a vending machine (the fat bitch.) When the bus arrived back at my school, there was cops waiting in the parking lot and grabbed me as soon as I got off. They strip-searched me down to my boxers, and when they saw that I was both completely broke and not having a girly wallet on me they instructed me to "stay out of trouble" and were on their way.
The other time, me and my girlfriend were sitting on a playground near my house and I guess the police got a call saying that a bunch of teenagers broke into a house nearby. Nothing was found on us again, and once again we were instructed to "stay out of trouble" and they were on their way.

Moral of this story... very gay, very legal.

Your girlfriend was stripped down to her underwear?
Quote by powerslave_666
Your girlfriend was stripped down to her underwear?

Yeah. In the UK and i'm sure other jurisdictions are the same, that would be illegal. First off, no strip searches may take place on private or public property and the constable searching you must be of the same sex.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤

So a group of people wandering around at 2am isn't suspicious? For all the cop knew, you might have been looking for somewhere to turn over, because everyone knows all kids are on crack these days, and also need money for prostitutes and soothing creams for the knob-rot you all have.[/Daily Mail]
Quote by Harmonius
Not in the UK. It wouldn't be in public interest if that were to happen and it certainly couldn't take place on private land. The Police Station is the only option, otherwise a police constable may take off outer clothing, gloves and jacket. A strip search is classified intimate.

Ahh, I missed the strip part. Strip searches go without saying.
<Frehnchy> ...
<esther_mouse> ...
<Rankles> ...
<RaNdOm-FeLiX> ...
<Dobzilla>
To my understanding, a cop should have a warrant to search unless he has suspicion of possession of a firearm. Is this correct?

Not if he has probable cause or consent.

Police are allowed to search as long as they have probable cause... the fireworks call.

The fireworks call does not constitute probable cause.

Neither of those searches are legal unless you consented.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
Not if he has probable cause or consent.

The fireworks call does not constitute probable cause.

Neither of those searches are legal unless you consented.

Probable is the wrong word. Try reasonable and I would call it reasonable.
¤´¨留話 請留話 請在我說完後

我不在這裡 我人在哪裡 我想到哪裡¤

請在嗶一聲之後留下有聲的話題¤

請在嗶一聲之後分擔感情的問題¤

¤¤¤