I've read in various places about using a Boss DS-1 with a Tube Screamer to give you a nice lead tone. I know that Steve Vai uses those for leads and I love his tone. Can anyone describe the tone of these two pedals used together, or even just the tube screamer because I've never use one. I have a DS-1(which I dont use right now) and I'm wondering wether to invest into a tube screamer cuz right now, my distortion tone is very limiting.

Current Distortion Pedal (in use): DOD Death Metal
Amp: Fender FM 212R
Guitar: Ibanez JEM and a RG350EXBK

Any help?
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
I'm not pretty sure if it will help but seeing as they use both for gain boost/volume boost, it wouldn't do much on your amp I guess.

Just remember to try it out before you buy alright?
keep in mind, steve vai's amp is 100 times better than yours, not to mention the ridiculous amount of studio equipment and effects at his disposal.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
^+1.
RIP Jasmine You.

Lieutenant of the 7-string/ERG Legion

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by gpderek09
keep in mind, steve vai's amp is 100 times better than yours, not to mention the ridiculous amount of studio equipment and effects at his disposal.

With an amp upgrade and the DS-1+TS9 combo he could get a close enough sound, noone is going to spend the money on a Carvin Legacy, all those racks (including some not available) a Digitech whamy and a couple of wahs just to get a sound like Vais.
the tubescreamer is a great pedal regardless if it gets you vais sound or not
ಠ_ಠ
<|>
/ω\

Tell me what nation on this earth, was not born of tragedy-Primordial
He doesn't use them together.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
Quote by Archeo Avis
He doesn't use them together.

He does. In an interview with Guitar Player magazine, he stated that he uses the DS-1 70% of the time and kicks in the Tube Screamer for leads because the DS-1 doesn't track his fast playing very well.
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
Any amp recommendations? I'm lookin into Marshall(the $600 MG stack cuz its in my budget)
Sounds like Vai is subbing the DS-1 for the amps distortion...which seems quite a strange thing to do to me o.O

I just wack the TS9 over my distortion to get a great solo tone.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Fender Telecaster MiJ - 1986
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
Sovtek Small Stone - c.1985
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

http://www.myspace.com/paythelay
Quote by Warheart1188
He does. In an interview with Guitar Player magazine, he stated that he uses the DS-1 70% of the time and kicks in the Tube Screamer for leads because the DS-1 doesn't track his fast playing very well.

He certainly uses them both. It doesn't mean he uses them at the same time.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
The DS-1 is modded by Keeley, I think.
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Yo wassup, I'm trying to expand my musical horizons if you know what I mean, so can anybody reccomend me some cool Juggalo jazz?
Quote by aznrockerdude
The DS-1 is modded by Keeley, I think.

Ah, that makes more sense. I couldn't see Vai using a standard DS-1 instead of his amps distortion. Seemed a very queer thing to do.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
Ah, that makes more sense. I couldn't see Vai using a standard DS-1 instead of his amps distortion. Seemed a very queer thing to do.

No it's not. He stopped using the modded one a while ago, he uses a standard one now. He uses it as an overdrive.
Why a cheap pedal like the DS-1 though?

EDIT: why a non-modded one?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by Archeo Avis
No it's not. He stopped using the modded one a while ago, he uses a standard one now. He uses it as an overdrive.

He uses a distortion as an overdrive? That seems really strange to me. I don't think DS-1's sound that good personally. My mate uses one and it's better than his SS distortion, but it doesn't compare to valve distortion...ah well.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Kurapica
He uses a distortion as an overdrive? That seems really strange to me. I don't think DS-1's sound that good personally. My mate uses one and it's better than his SS distortion, but it doesn't compare to valve distortion...ah well.

Turn the gain down and the level up and it sounds great, and very distinctive.
Listen to Satriani's Mountain Song for a great example of what it sounds like.
Quote by Archeo Avis

Each to their own mate, but I really don't like it THAT much. I appreciate it as a great pedal for the price, but I think you can get alot nicer sounding tones from either an amp or a nice Maxon or something.
Ibanez PGM301
Ibanez GRG170DX
Swing T-Through

Ibanez TS9DX
EHX Big Muff
Kimbara Wah - c.1974
Boss GE-7

Orange Rocker 30 Combo

Quote by Archeo Avis

Why not a modded one?
RIP Jasmine You.

Quote by FaygoBro420
Quote by aznrockerdude
Why not a modded one?

Well you'd have to ask him, wouldn't you?
Quote by Warheart1188
Any amp recommendations? I'm lookin into Marshall(the $600 MG stack cuz its in my budget)

Stay away from that amp like you would stay away from leprosy

if you can stretch it a used traynor blue 50
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
^ aye. i'm surprised that went unnoticed for so long.

do not, under any circumstances, do NOT by a marshall MG.
Quote by ClassicAxe

consider anything derek suggests, He IS a gain VVhore you know
Quote by jj1565
derek, will you go out wt me?

President Gain Whore -group on profile
Quote by Punk_Ninja
With an amp upgrade and the DS-1+TS9 combo he could get a close enough sound, noone is going to spend the money on a Carvin Legacy, all those racks (including some not available) a Digitech whamy and a couple of wahs just to get a sound like Vais.

Well, the legacy series is pretty cheap, as far as amps go, $1300 or so, even cheaper if you get it used. The rack stuff.... yeah, I agree. If you're gonna go rack, at least make it your own sound, not by copying other people's rack setups.
Peavey 5150
Mesa Mark IV
Mesa Single Rectifier (Series 1)
Fender Custom Shop Tonemaster
Roland Microcube

-Whitebox OS 1x12
-Port City OS 1x12

Digidesign Eleven RackAxe Fx Ultra