i was just looking at the ending solo of The Ocean by Led Zeppelin, and i noticed that for like the very last bar right before the two chords that end the solo, jimmy does a lick that he repeats a few times, and it seems that he uses the C# major pentatonic box for it, as well as the D# pentatonic box for the second part of the run. he's been usin the C# minor pentatonic box for most of the song, and it seemed weird that he'd switch for that one part, although the effect was amazing. my question is, is it really common to do that sort of switch mid song, or will it usually screw up the tone of the lead in most songs? is this something that i should have known of already?
i don't know if its really common but its not unheard of. in the blues you'll hear alot of guitarists incorporate major and minor pentatonics in the same lick. check out BB king or albert king for the best examples of this
Quote by allislost
I would say that aetherspear speaks nothing but the truth.
UG Blues Group
UG Reggae & Dub Group
Need Professional Mixing for cheap? Need Vinyl to Digital Transfers? PM Me.
It is extremely common for artists to switch keys in the middle of the song, good guitarists make sure they do this, songs can sound stale if you don't. As long as the scale works with the backing chords it will sound coherent.
Quote by Norcantalus
It is extremely common for artists to switch keys in the middle of the song, good guitarists make sure they do this...

That's going a bit far.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
yeah maybe its not common in everyday music, but you can hear it in many blues songs. its pretty cool when you improvice. check out the solo in highway to hell by acdc. never thought youd find a switch there, right?
[quote="'[x"]Huffy[x]']Me: Honestly, why haven't we had sex yet?

Her: IDK, we are doing tomorrow after cinema, aren't we?

Me: Err...are we?

Her. Damn right we are.

Thanks UG.
Quote by Incardito
Eating another man without BBQ sauce is pretty badass
Quote by Duljan
never thought youd find a switch there, right?

No...because I don't listen to them.
Someones knowledge of guitar companies spelling determines what amps you can own. Really smart people can own things like Framus because they sound like they might be spelled with a "y" but they aren't.
All it is is either a key change, or he is just throwing in other notes (you can play A LOT of notes while in the blues scale that are outside and they will sound fine or exotic. An example is the major third or major 7th. Check out Paul Gilberts "Guitars from Mars" videos on Youtube. He spends about a half hour talking about ways to modify your pentatonic scale)