Well ive been trying to figure out what half-stack to buy ( or a 2X12 amp) but it seems like everything i look at is less than favorable to those on UG. So i know not to get line 6, crate, i was looking at a marshall mg100fx but everyone thinks that sucks so im it a loss for what to get. I looked at a randall RX120dhs but that looks kind of crappy. But ive heard good things about randall.

I just need a good halfstack that i can play metal with ( it doesnt need effects im just going to use a pedal) any suggestions? Im looking to spend around $600.
Have a look at the Ashdown Fallen Angel, see if you can find one of the versions before they added DSP Effects.
A. you wont find a good halfstack for that budget

B. you dont need a halfstack, especially with that budget. They are mainly for show, and if your a tone phreak, the more air pushed.

c. what tone are you after?

d. Can u buy used
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by Crimson_tornado
Have a look at the Ashdown Fallen Angel, see if you can find one of the versions before they added DSP Effects.

almost impossible to find in america...

randalls are actually very nice for the price, id look into a peavy windsor (watch out not mcuh of a clean) ... id wait for the combo to come out to see what its like but the head alone is probably most of your budget
Quote by Gibson_Rocker13
you are my new hero cause i do the exact same thing but i suck at it

#8 of the EHX USERS GUILD
Quote by SublimeGuitar
Orange Rocker 30. Best Marshall ever

epi firefly dsp 30, epi sg, big muff
olp five string, peavy max 158
I was looking at the windsor, that would be good for metal? i thought it looked more like a classic rock or blues type amp. Would a 100w vox valvetronic do good or is that to tubey for metal? Are all tube amps good for metal?
Quote by Guitarpilot
to tubey for metal? Are all tube amps good for metal?

Go search up on the forum and online at the bands you like and tube amps. For example most metal bands use Mesa Boogies or Peavey tube amps.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
Quote by Guitarpilot
I was looking at the windsor, that would be good for metal? i thought it looked more like a classic rock or blues type amp. Would a 100w vox valvetronic do good or is that to tubey for metal? Are all tube amps good for metal?

The Valvetronix isnt all tube, its a hybrid.

and i dont think its possible for an amp to be "too tubey" for metal.
Ibanez AFS75/Fender Strat Plus > Fulltone Deja' Vibe > Keeley TS808 MOD+ > Fulltone OCD > VanAmps SoleMate > Metro JTM45
Check out Randall amps for metal. I'd lean towards the all tube RG50TC, but if you're looking at hybrids anyway, the 200W RG200DG3 might prove to be even better for you.

I recommend you try before you buy.
You Don't Need a halfstack.

You Don't Need 100W.

Quote by jj1565
i love you slats.
Quote by Guitarpilot

Don't let the tolex confuse you, this amp is very high gain, with an OD pedal I thought it was pretty crazy.
FOR AWESOME HANDWOUND PICKUPS, CONTACT CorduroyEW
BOOBS
Quote by ratmblink123
Good for you. Have a cookie.

But really... there's no cookie. And if there was, you wouldn't get one.
i was wondering the same thing, mg series suck.
go to the ultimate amp thread on this and at the bottem there is a marshall chart saying the strong points and weak point of different points..i played the mg series today and it sounds like ****

yea go and play different amps b4 buying 1
UG's condensed package of adrenaline

i am not liable for anything stated above
▼ but he is ▼
aight thnx guys, unfortunately not any big music companies close. I have a music store but it only has like 2 halfstacks