i have a set of emg hz currently and have just ordered a emg 81 for the bridge, does anyone know how id install them on a 2 volume and 1 tone setup as i dont really want to drill anuva hole for the second tone pot
My Gear:
Ibanez RG320PG P1
ESP KH-202
Line 6 Spider 212
CryBaby
Venom Cables
RotoSound Strings
A. Two diff kinds of pups mixing actives with passives is very hard to do

B. EMail emgs and ask for a schematic on how to wire them. Tho your possibility might be hard/impossible to do since they are two diff types.
I traded in my Real Books for Robbins and Cotran Pathology Textbooks
It's not impossible, I thought it was, I have a friend who has a Livewire and like a regular '59 on his Dean... I'd personally take it to a guitar store though. It'll probably be less than 50 dollars if you don't try to do it yourself and mess something up...
1992 Gibson Explorer (Seymour Duncan '59 neck, Custom Custom bridge)
Jackson King V Professional Std. (Seymour Duncan Invaders)
Mesa/Boogie Nomad 55
Mesa/Boogie 412 Recto. O/S Cabinet
Boss ME-50
MXR 10-Band EQ
you cant mix an active pickup with a passive unless theyre on different circuits. the reason is because the active uses 50k pots and the passive probably uses 500k. these cancel each other out and basically nothing works. now, always wanted to try this, but what you could do, in theory, is to give each pickup its own circuit (its own pots basically) and have the only shared eletrical crossing of these circuits being the single output. if that doesnt work, buy an 85.

im pretty sure the emg's come with wiring diagrams, or at least the two-pickup packs (the zakk wylde and the kerry ****ing king) do i believe. if youre unsure then go to http://www.seymourduncan.com/support/schematics.shtml the dave mustaines and the livewires are active so see those. or just email emg for diagrams
An active EMG in the bridge and passive in the neck, I don't know about that...
" When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."-Jimi Hendrix
you can it, all you need to do is wire each in a different circuit, you will have to rewire or maybe replace the pickup selector switch, you don't need the tone pot, but the 81 might sound too bright without it.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
sounds like im gunna have to be buyin another 81 lol
i knw you can use an active with a passive but iv heard its real hard
iv emailed emg and am waiting for a reply so fingers crossed because i have no money now for another 81 till i get paid next munth
My Gear:
Ibanez RG320PG P1
ESP KH-202
Line 6 Spider 212
CryBaby
Venom Cables
RotoSound Strings
Also note: EMG's aren't going to be all that hot with the line6.

Either way, just order another active, it will be worth it.
[Founder of the Ibanez S players club.] Pm Me to Join
Quote by Striketalonx
Also note: EMG's aren't going to be all that hot with the line6.

Either way, just order another active, it will be worth it.

yeh i know the line 6 is s*** to digital, gunna save for a mesa i recon
My Gear:
Ibanez RG320PG P1
ESP KH-202
Line 6 Spider 212
CryBaby
Venom Cables
RotoSound Strings
EMG + Digital = S***?, I have EMG + Digital and it is the s***. I think the people saying that need a new amp.
no what i mean is the amp just has a really digital sound to it, unlike a tube amp or something
My Gear:
Ibanez RG320PG P1
ESP KH-202
Line 6 Spider 212
CryBaby
Venom Cables
RotoSound Strings
You could always convert your origional pickup to active and then run two active pickups using a little gadget like this:

Active Pickup Conversion Kit!
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
wow never knew you could get something like that
wouldnt have ever have thought of it
My Gear:
Ibanez RG320PG P1
ESP KH-202
Line 6 Spider 212
CryBaby
Venom Cables
RotoSound Strings
would i be able to install that and have them on the same circuit so i could keep the 2 volume and 1 pot with both connected?
My Gear:
Ibanez RG320PG P1
ESP KH-202
Line 6 Spider 212
CryBaby
Venom Cables
RotoSound Strings
I honestly don't know, but because it then becomes low resistance you may need to change all of your pots to 50k versions (not that expensive bout £10 - $20). I'm by no means an expert on this but i expect you should be able then to connect it up as a standard active circuit.
'05 Fender Speed Shop So-Cal Stratocaster
'95 Squier Standard Strat

OLP MM1
Washburn X200v Pro

Tanglewood TW145-SC
Yamaha C40

Orange Dark Terror + PPC212
Jet City JCA20H + JCA24S
It's best to go either all active or all passive. Mixing both is never a good idea, as it will limit the tonal versatility of your guitar.

You CANNOT share components. You can wire them both in separate circtuits (forget about having a master tone control - the tone will now be for one pickup or the other), and you won't be able to use the center position on the selector to activate both pickups. You have one, or the other.
Guitars: Custom Lado Earth 2000-3, Custom ESP Explorer, BC Rich KKV, Gibson LP Studio, Greco SG, El Degas Stratocaster, Agile AL-3000, LTD EX-351

Rig:Marshall JVM410H + Marshall 1960A, Boss Noise Suppressor
actually you dont need to wire them on seperate circuits, emg sent me a scchematic, only problem is you can only have tone control on the passive
My Gear:
Ibanez RG320PG P1
ESP KH-202
Line 6 Spider 212
CryBaby
Venom Cables
RotoSound Strings
Quote by Crunchmeister
It's best to go either all active or all passive. Mixing both is never a good idea, as it will limit the tonal versatility of your guitar.

You CANNOT share components. You can wire them both in separate circtuits (forget about having a master tone control - the tone will now be for one pickup or the other), and you won't be able to use the center position on the selector to activate both pickups. You have one, or the other.

It's much easier if you have a 2 volume, 2 tone setup, like I do. I kinda regret not wiring it like that, as one pickup is not enough. If I got an EMG 60 to put in the neck, how much rewiring would I have to do? I've currently got only 1 pickup wired to 1 volume and 1 tone, with the neck pickup and the other 2 pots as dummies.
thats a good question, i didnt mix passive with active but its possible to do.

you only need to add an active volume and tone circuit to your passive pickup, they do that for some pickup like my emg hz that i have in my spector bass.

but if you do that you cant have the good tone of some great passive pickup... thats why i switch between active and passive, in my ibanez rg220 this is an emg81 (it sound awesome with a line6 i tested and also you can hear it recorded by people on youtube...)
with an ibanez stock on neck. i didnt want to change the look of that guitar, volume is only for emg81, the passive is direct to the output when selected to have more gain than my active

i hope it help someone.
It isn't impossible. But get a pro, it's really hard to wire.
Epiphone Les Paul (Modded with 2 passive pickups and an EMG81)
Yamaha RG guitar w/ Floyd Rose
Rogue Acoustic

BlackHeart BH5 Tube Amp

Danelectro Metal. Digitech Bad Monkey, Digitech CF-7, Crybaby Wah, Danelectro EQ.
My thoughts are you could buy a 500k/250k CTS Stacked Concentric Pot and wire your passive pickup on its own curcit using that pot as volume and tone. Then keep it in the control cavity, screw buying a nob..
Quote by rosswaa
actually you dont need to wire them on seperate circuits, emg sent me a scchematic, only problem is you can only have tone control on the passive

Can you send me that diagram please man, email to desecrate111@hotmail.com