Ok i understand this isn't something anyone would usually do but i am desperate
and thought it would be worth asking! my grandfather passed away about a week
ago and my grandmother asked me if i would make a song to play at the funeral. the
only thing is i have been so choked up and depressed lately that i honly ave the
chord progression but no lyrics! i really don't want to dissapoint my family. if there is
anyone out there who i could e-mail a recording of the chord progression to and
have them make up lyrics, and send me a recording of them signing the lyrics (ur
voice doesn't matter...i just need to hear the tune of the lyrics) i would be so
greatful. please help!
Quote by Gibson343
Ok i understand this isn't something anyone would usually do but i am desperate
and thought it would be worth asking! my grandfather passed away about a week
ago and my grandmother asked me if i would make a song to play at the funeral. the
only thing is i have been so choked up and depressed lately that i honly ave the
chord progression but no lyrics! i really don't want to dissapoint my family. if there is
anyone out there who i could e-mail a recording of the chord progression to and
have them make up lyrics, and send me a recording of them signing the lyrics (ur
voice doesn't matter...i just need to hear the tune of the lyrics) i would be so
greatful. please help!

I think it would be a lot easier on everyone if you just asked your grandmother not to because of you being choked up. I doubt your grandmother will banish you from the family.

Then again I wouldn't be surprised. Anything can happen today
You should write the lyrics yourself. And, the song should be about your grandfather. This isn't a matter of letting your family down. All that matters is how you feel about your grandfather.
Click for charity.

Pidgeot of the Pokemon Club
PM Calebrocker to join.

92% of UGers jump on annoying bandwagons. Don't put this in your sig if you're one of the 8% with an opinion.
Just pick a poem about syaing good bye to someone or something like that and just make up a tune for the words.
Quote by Haha, Crackhead
You should write the lyrics yourself. And, the song should be about your grandfather. This isn't a matter of letting your family down. All that matters is how you feel about your grandfather.

i understand what ur saying but i feel it's important that i play song at the funeral because music was big thing for my grandfather. and he always loved how i played the guitar so it's like symbol so it's very important. even if i did write the lyrics at this point in time i couldn't come up with a tune for them. listen i know i am asking for a lot but i need this..please someone help
If you don't want to do it, then tell your grandmother. She'll understand. She probably just thinks it's a way of letting you vent your feelings for your grandfather. If you do want to do it, then that's exactly what you should do. You should vent. Write anything that's meaningful. Don't worry about it being cheesy or ****, just write from the heart. That's all that really matters at times like these.
Try to be part of your family and not a performer. Just describe the way you feel, no one will think its bad because they should all feel the same way or similar.
i know ur all trying to help by telling me just to tell my grandma that i don't want to do it but u don't understand how important it is. if u guys want to help please do what i asked. i know it's a lot but i really need this and i'll be sure to return the favor if i ever can. it doesn't have to be a 10 minute songs just a quick 2 1/2 mins or something. please guys...this is so important
I saw a service where a guy just gently strummed some chords, and talked about the person who had passed away. It was really moving, you don't have to sing it or make up a tune for it to be meaningful.

edit: How much time do you have?
Who dat?
Quote by Anarion614
I saw a service where a guy just gently strummed some chords, and talked about the person who had passed away. It was really moving, you don't have to sing it or make up a tune for it to be meaningful.

edit: How much time do you have?

i have a few weeks. i tried doing the talking while strumming but i found that it gets me too upset and i start to tear and choke a little so i mess up. when i sing song it's not so bad but yeh.
maybe if you said you are goin to write a song...maybe you should write the song
Quote by Gibson343
i have a few weeks. i tried doing the talking while strumming but i found that it gets me too upset and i start to tear and choke a little so i mess up. when i sing song it's not so bad but yeh.

I'm sorry about your loss dude, i lost a grandmother.

But you do have a few weeks, i'm sure if you let it come to you, you'll do fine.

*hug*
Who dat?
I really think you should do it yourself. Not being cold or anything, but you really should.

WHAT HAVE YOU DONE
Quote by quinny1089
maybe if you said you are goin to write a song...maybe you should write the song

did u not read the first post? thats what this is all about i can't write a song in the condition i'm in right now. my grandpa was the closest thing i had. i told him everything do u know how hard it is to realize he is gone? especially when i soemtimes think he is still sitting safe at home watching the baseball game and then i see my parents talkign about the funeral? it's terrible.....i wish i could write a song right now but i can't
Try looking back on all of the good memories that you guys had. If that doesn't work, I'll see what I can come up with for poetry for you. I can't record it, though. I could maybe give you some sheet or something with some form of time arangement to it, though, for the vocal melody line.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
Quote by MusicalMinority
I really think you should do it yourself. Not being cold or anything, but you really should.

i understand but i can't rigjht now
Quote by Page&HammettFan
Try looking back on all of the good memories that you guys had. If that doesn't work, I'll see what I can come up with for poetry for you. I can't record it, though. I could maybe give you some sheet or something with some form of time arangement to it, though, for the vocal melody line.

thanky ou so much! this means a lt. the sooner u get it to me the better so i can practice. this is gonna help so much. take so much stress off me
ah sorry man, but still, its not on, gettin someone else to write a song for you to play and pass off as your own...

you can keep trying for the next couple of weeks and the feelings should ease up a little for you to be able to think
Quote by quinny1089
ah sorry man, but still, its not on, gettin someone else to write a song for you to play and pass off as your own...

you can keep trying for the next couple of weeks and the feelings should ease up a little for you to be able to think

whoever said i'm taking credit for the song? i'm not saying it's my own. i'm saying the music is my own but the lyrics are from ________
Quote by Gibson343
thanky ou so much! this means a lt. the sooner u get it to me the better so i can practice. this is gonna help so much. take so much stress off me

I didn't say I would. I want you to try to write your own. If you can't come up with anything, then just PM me with some things that you can remember you and your granfather doing together. It'd be nice to have lyrics where everyone at the funeral/service/whatever can identify with. Give me some things that you guys did together, and just special things about him that you and the rest of your family liked.
Got Death Magnetic a day early!

The Low-Cardinal of Zeppelinism - If you're a diehard fan of Zeppelin, join Zeppelinism here

Winner of the "Biggest Led Zeppelin Fuck" award in the CR forum (2 years running!)
You could make a song out of chords or fingerpicking. If you elaborate on the chord progression and make it more interesting it would work. Also if someone in your family plays piano you could collaborate with them and do your chord progression while they play piano over it.
I felt like a monster reincarnation of Horatio Alger......a man on the move and just sick enough to be totally confident.

Quote by Hexagram
Oh and Zeke, i find you to be over-rated
Make it a cheerful song, like with a happy chord progression, and pleasant lyrics. It might be easier to write that way, you'll be giggling. And it would be a wonderful way to remember him, probably exactly how he wanted you to be, smiling and singing.
Write a solo. Let the music speak for you.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
write about his life, tell the story of you grandfather
*-)
Quote by Bob_Sacamano
i kinda wish we all had a penis and vagina instead of buttholes

i mean no offense to buttholes and poop or anything

Rest in Peace, Troy Davis and Trayvon Martin and Jordan Davis and Eric Garner and Mike Brown
Quote by Gibson343
whoever said i'm taking credit for the song? i'm not saying it's my own. i'm saying the music is my own but the lyrics are from ________

don't you think saying that you didnt write lyrics for your own grandfather would disappoint your family more than not doing anything at all?

sorry for your loss.