I've got a problem boys and gals.

For the past few months I don't seem to be improving at all on bass guitar. I practice scale runs, basic excercises (octaves, thirds, steps and all that stuff) and al the typical excercises (like the basic string to string chromatic deal) and I've been practicing a few songs for awhile that I wasn't able to play but I haven't gotten better at those either.

Anyone know what I can do to get out of my slump?
Proud Member Of The Bass Militia

PM Nutter_101 To Join
learn to play walking bass lines.
Dissonance is Bliss

Signal Chain:
Carvin CT-4
Ibanez TS-9
Carvin Quad-X
TC Electronics G-Major
Mesa/Boogie 2:90
Ear Candy BuzzBomb

Member #4 of the Carvin Club
learn new techniques.
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
I can already slap, tap, play fingerstyle and pickstyle so ther's not much left to learn. I've b een trying to improve on them and become more proficient but I'm just not getting better.

PM Nutter_101 To Join
how about some crazy harmonic stuff a la jaco/wooten?
Dinobot clone of the Predacons Beast Wars Club
PM NightmareXT To Join!

Member #6 of the Geddy Lee fan club - pm RIC4003 to join.
UG spartan number 180
Write some of your own bass lines.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

I would just put your itunes on random and play with whatever comes up. Thats what i do and its yet to get old.
My ear sucks lol, I wouldn't be able to play along with anything I want.

PM Nutter_101 To Join
Quote by Face The Slayer
My ear sucks lol, I wouldn't be able to play along with anything I want.

maybe thats an idea of what to look at in your practises - improving your ear! learning to recognise intervals by ear, practise learning bass parts from songs. your ears may be a bit shabby, but practise can change that. can you play with sheet music?
i need to get a better signature.
I can indeed read sheet music.

Thanks for the input guys. Much appreciated.

PM Nutter_101 To Join
i'd take a break from bass and learn another instrument, rather then force anything out of ur bass.

i was in a similar rut, thats when i learned the jimi-hendrix style of playing chords and junk off chords.
I was in the same boat as you man with guitar, I've been playing it for about a year, my teacher kept beating me with theory, which I know the basic's and I was working on my technique, I played a lot of hard rock and metal and I couldn't seem to get the technique (fast palm mute, sweep picking) and was getting very frustrated. I decided to try out bass because everyone told me not only is it funnier then guitar, but it also helps you improve on guitar. I've been playing for about 3 weeks and I love it, I've actually picked the guitar up once. Moral of the story is, maybe try out guitar or if you already play, when you get bored with bass, pick up the guitar and vice versa. Don't worry, you'll be playing one day and have a breakthrough and you realize you just played something flawlessly and you've never done that before, and that will give you the motivation to keep on rockin!
Guitar:
ESP LTD EC-1000 STBC

Bass:
Fender MIA Black/Maple Jazz 4 String
Ampeg B-40 4x10 Cab
Ampeg SVT3 Pro
The biggest thing I learned that helped me:

Composition. If you know how to write a melody you can write a bassline (as far as rock music goes.)

Look into different styles, my biggest suggestion is Jazz. It will help you beyond belief.
If you know all the basic and advanced techinques of bass, then you could try to get techniques out of other instruments ang incorporate them in your playing. See pianists, sax players, drummers, etc.
Play with other players! That's what music is all about, communicating with others, and you'll expend your playing ability hugely
I try to live my life by the old Latin proverb...

“It is well to remember that there are five reasons for drinking: the arrival of a friend, one's present or future thirst, the excellence of the wine, or any other reason.
The fact is you probably are a lot better unless your technique is appaling. Try to play pieces you couldn't a few months ago.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
When you mean you're in a slump, are you feeling like you don't know what to do or are you feeling lack of motivation? If you're feeling lack of motivation what I'd advise is to go out and listen to some bands. Find some local bands on myspace and go check them out. Even genres you don't normally listen to.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Just keep chugging along to be perfectly honest. What you're doing is good eventually you will start to feel improvement and then you will burst out and your bass will be a whole new instrument and you will improve a lot. The main thing to do here is not give up. Keep your practise level up, keep your motivation up and just keep going. Eventually I guarantee there will be some kind of breakthrough.