Okay... A perfect example of this would be in Dream Theater's "As I Am"

The riff right before the main riff, Petrucci hits notes that he vibratos, and then it fades into a harmonic, and sounds badass. You can tell he isn't pinching it at the end because it doesn't get louder, nor can you hear a picking sound. How does he do it? It sounds so amazing
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Squier Fender Stratocaster
Peavey 6505+
Marshall 1960A Lead Cabinet
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

Check out my band:www.myspace.com/silentsurrendertx
I'm very familiar with this song; I've covered it numerous times. What he does there, actually, Is getting feedback; He'll hold the note, and obtain feedback by standing really close to his amps, which are turned up very loud.
Quote by Bullet FMV
I'm very familiar with this song; I've covered it numerous times.

I love you.

And thanks for the help.. makes a lot of sense. I would try it exactly, but I lack a 7 string guitar , so it doesn't sound as good.
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Peavey 6505+
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

yeah, its feedback

ive been workin on that solo+song lately, my drummer hates me whenever i play it
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
How? It's so cool

Along with Stream of Consciousness, which I'm working on right now, but that solo is killing me all over the place.
-GEAR-

Schecter C-1 XXX
Peavey 6505+
Peavey Studio Pro 112
MXR Carbon Copy

Your vibrato needs to be pretty good to get it done!
I still have a hard time on some frets, Also depends how much gain/feedback you got. If your not getting anything back turn up the gain a little maybe. I have a EMG afterburner and it really helps ALOT with these. Theres my 2 cents. =)
Quote "The AB (Afterburner) is a push/pull booster with up to 20dB of preset variable gain, perfect for having fun with clean overdrive and distortion. It works with both active and passive pickups, uses rail-to-rail technology, and is easy to install. If you're a lead player, the Afterburner is for you"

http://www.emginc.com/displayproducts.asp?section=Accessories&categoryid=32

It basically adds more gain.
Haha yeah, the more details the merrier =)

Its a nice little option to have, you can use it to boost solos to make them really stand out too.
It's like a boost pedal on your guitar. Cost about 50$ on ebay and its pretty easy to install.
Quote by SilverStratocas
How? It's so cool

Along with Stream of Consciousness, which I'm working on right now, but that solo is killing me all over the place.

haha good luck with that, my next goal is the sweeps for the glass prison, should be one hell of a ride
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.