what kind of pickups are better, im into thrash metal and i like the 496-r and 500-t (used on gibson explorers) but i also like the emg-h 81 & 85 pickups, which ones should i use?
both of those sets are pretty much made for metal, I prefer the Gibsons myself.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Lies. You can put them with your pots and whatnot. There's no need to make a battery compartment.
Current gear:
LTD MH-301 fitted with EMG 81/60
Ibanez SZ320
Peavey 5150 with JJ tubes
Avatar 4x12 with Warehouse Veteran 30 and British Lead Speakers
Crate XT120R
Emg
Schecter C-1 Hellraiser
Peavey 5150
Vader Cabinet 4x12
Roland Cube 30X
Line 6 Toneport UX1
Morley Bad Horsie II

Alrighty all you "um emgz0rz? duhz!!!1"

Stop it.

For thrash metal, some prefer pickups that sound like the guitar they are playing. It really depends on what you like and want to do. You can rout out a battery compartment and spend a whole bunch more on EMGs (which I DO like btw) or you can save yourself some time and effort by getting the 496-500 combo. But there is ONE main deciding factor, what amp do you have?
Quote by ExplorerFreak
Alrighty all you "um emgz0rz? duhz!!!1"

Stop it.

For thrash metal, some prefer pickups that sound like the guitar they are playing. It really depends on what you like and want to do. You can rout out a battery compartment and spend a whole bunch more on EMGs (which I DO like btw) or you can save yourself some time and effort by getting the 496-500 combo. But there is ONE main deciding factor, what amp do you have?

You don't have to route anything out for a battery compartment if it doesn't already have one. I put them in my SG and just put the battery in the back with the pots and input jack. Thus, neither require anything to be done to the body of the guitar.
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
I prefer the gibson pups, I played around with my friend's explorer the other day and i totally prefer this sound over the thrash metal sound i get out of my Emgs in my hellraiser

edit: but yeah it's personal preference, so you have to find out what YOU like better
Quote by Dudage
Pussies play P-90's

Quote by jesus-squared
alright i'll try it
but if it falls out and my guitar breaks i'm going to eat your first born.
...just so you know
I used to be into thrash, Annilator, Overkill, Testament, stuff like that and back then amps diddnt have much gain so a set of EMGs was the way to get that extra gain boost, and scooped mids for that chunkiness, now adays modern amps have enough gain and bottom end id say stock pickups could easily do it, and if for some reason you want a clean tone you can get a much better clean with passive pickups
my gear//
GUITARS
ESP Horizon Custom
ESP M202BB
ESP HB300
Gibson LP Custom
Gibson V
AMPS
Orange Rockverb 50
Mesa Triple Recti
Marshall JCM800 2210