Hey there, this is a question/thread out there to those who have experience with the almighty fuzz.

So anyway, I'm getting some money for my birthday next month, and I wanna get a fuzz pedal. I'll have 100-150 to spend on it, so what is the best, highest quality fuzz pedal I could get? I'm looking for that old school Hendrix/Cream type fuzz, but something that would still be relevant and use-able in modern music, if you catch my drift.
Big Muff Pi or the Fuzz face reissue maybe??
if you're willing to look, maybe you can find a used Fender Blender?
ESP EC-400 AT Goldtop
Fender 62 Jazzmaster
Fender Mexican HSS Strat
Fender 60's Reissue Strat
Peavey JSX Halfstack

**Member #10 of the PEAVEY IS AMAZING club!**
Fuzz Face reissue are pretty terrible. Don't sound like the old ones at all.

Bif muffs are different than Fuzz Faces, but not in a bad way. Just different.

If you can, try and find an Analogman Sun Face on ebay or something. I think they're discontinuing them. Maybe a BBE Free Fuzz? I haven't tried that one, though.

Also, I'm prototyping a fuzz pedal right now, that uses germanium trannies...just like the old ones, but with some mods for added versatility. Just lettin' ya know, if you can wait a bit.
Quote by izzymcfizzy
Big Muff Pi or the Fuzz face reissue maybe??
if you're willing to look, maybe you can find a used Fender Blender?

+1
the big muff rocks hard, id reccomend getting the lil big muff- smaller, cheaper, same thing acoustically, true bypass. i havent tried any of the other stuff but ive heard that fuzz really well
i like my multi pedal in my sig, it has an emulation of the muff fuzz and fuzz face built in that i think sound great
Quote by forsaknazrael
Little Big Muffs are a little different than the Big USE reissue ones, IMO.

yea, imo too

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
hey man, i actually really like the reissue fuzz face better than the muff and some others..great hendrix/cream like tones if you set the dials right.

i stopped using effects recently tho and now just play straight through my amp.. so if yer interested i actually have a fuzz face i would sell... it even has a "one spot" power adapter professionally installed. perfect condition.

if interested shoot me an email..

dheely1@towson.edu
^thought the same thing when i tried it...build your own i say...but don't screw up

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^i really don't like the fact that its digital and probably has not a single transistor in it

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

^yea...i was like sooo into their pedals when i started pedal-ing...but now its like..blehh

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

*cough*digitalstuffcanusetransistorstoojustusesthemdifferently*cough*

yeah, that is definatly readable

i say build your own fuzz. there are a ton of fuzz schematics out there, and it doesnt take too much skill to read them and build a simple one. i dont really see any point in buying a fuzz when you can make one that is built to the vintage sound specs that you want for fairly cheap.
*cough*ididntgetthatpleasewriteinenglishkthxbye*cough*

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

basicly, digital stuff uses transistors, just differently. i dont know if there are any in the Boss fuzz, but the transistor is a common component in digital circuits.
^yea sure...to amplify stuff, yea...but not as in the original fuzz face circuit which makes that sound like it sounds

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

boss made something so simple like a fuzz circuit digital, made alot of people lose all respect for them. that new fuzz sucks, the dyna drive sucked too, sadly.
Wow, a lot of replys in a short amount of time!
Well, I don't really wanna build one, haha, I'll just buy one.
So reading the replys, I get the impression that Big Muffs are pretty good pedals? Better than the fuzz face reissue?
Oh wait, the Big Muff is a distortion, nevermind.
I want fuzz!
btw, big muff is a fuzz. ppl like to say it's distortion, but it's fuzz.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
^its a very harsh fuzz though - closer to distortion imo

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Check out the Zvex Fuzz Factory - the non hand-painted version goes for around 170$ and it's the best sounding fuzz i've ever heard .. you can get fuzz face sounds if you dial it to it's 'sain' setting..
actually i dont think the late FFs clean up well. BC108s arent really known to clean up very well..
yeah and they're really bright and less woofy compared to the NKT275s in the earlier FFs.