Page 1 of 2
Hi guys..

Can someone tell me how to get heavier sounds with my jap strat? Especially out of the bridge pickup? I play a moderate amount of metal.. I dun wanna change to an Ibanez or ESP yet.. So what do u guys say?

Also, how can i get a nice palm mute sound? For stuff like the riff in Enter sandman..

1|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
2|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
3|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
4|---------------------------------------------------------------------------|
5|--2---2----/7--------------5-------5-------4---5---4-----------------------|
6|--0---0---------6---5------3---0---3---0---2---3---2-----------------------|
For nice palm muting sound id turn up the treble. Im going through the same thing man. Using a squier. Not complaining though I love it.
Good amp, pedal, palm mute, and/or the right settings. It's very possible to get a metal sound out of a strat. I'm sticking to clean stuff for the most part, but I've toyed around with the dark side.

On my cousin's setup my SSS strat can wail, but at home I have to use a pedal to delve into the deeper stuff. My amp has some effects mods but they suck pretty bad.

If you're playing on a clean practice amp with no effects you're probably going to have a rough time...
Im using the preset amp modellin on my AD15VT... Its got UK modern which i think its a nice metal sound.. The nu-metal is not bad too. But i cant get the nice palm muting like how it sounds in the song.
Gear
MIJ Fender '57 Stratocaster
Vox AD15VT
PodXT Live
get a hotrails pickup?
Telecaster - SG - Jaguar
Princeton Reverb, Extra Reverb
P-Bass - Mustang Bass
Apogee Duet 2 - Ableton Suite
Flip the switch to the Middle/bridge pup.

Scoop the mids on the amp.
Gear...
Peavey 5150, Squier, Ibanez RG2EX2, Yamaha F150, Ibanez RT150, MXR noisegate
Quote by abcdboy
Flip the switch to the Middle/bridge pup.

Scoop the mids on the amp.

actually scooping the mids can make ur tone muddy unless u have like a jcm or somethin i do it on my amp it doesnt sound too muddy but it sounds more chunky for palm muting with my mids about 12 o clock
Quote by Krusader187
i'd slap a humbucker on the bridge

I'd slap you in the face if I weren't so damned tired.

To the TS: Flip your 5-way switch to the foward-most position. You will get the bassiest sound you ever will from a Strat.
I don't really think scooping mids can get you a heavier sound. Sure on lots of thrash metal and such, there are lots of scooped mids, but typically their amp makes it heavy. On a normal amp, if you have the gain turned up, if you boost the mids and treble and slightly raise the bass you can get that big ballsy heavy chug to your sound that i think sounds much heavier than scooped mids. Also, as a person who does enjoy heavy sounds and owns a squier strat, i think a good deal of it is in your effects. i think that a good analogue distortion pedal, like a proco rat, or big muff, put right after a good booster/compressor can give you a really heavy sound.
Quote by SamxNHO
actually scooping the mids can make ur tone muddy unless u have like a jcm or somethin i do it on my amp it doesnt sound too muddy but it sounds more chunky for palm muting with my mids about 12 o clock

I've never experienced muddiness with scooped mids (granted the guitar doesn't suck). I guess if it's like scooped to the extreme it'll be, but that's not what I meant.
Gear...
try a metal muff with top boost for 89 bucks or get a seymour duncan and put on distortion or over drive or if your amp doesnt have those channels just get the metal muff wit top boost pedal
esp ltd m300
ibanez rg
jackosn dinky strat

digitech rp155l
morley bad horsie wah

carvin mt3200 tube amp

founder of the ibanez rg owners of the world club pm me to join
When you palm mute, make sure the part of the palm you mute with is almost directly over the bridge where the strings are "in play".

For Enter Sandman, the notes you mute really add to the flavor of that riff. Make the first E powerchord ring out really nice, mute the second one and about halfway mute the 7, 6, and let the 5 ring out with a huge vibrato.

Then the tail:
5|--5--------5-------4---5---4-----------------------|
6|--3---0---3---0---2---3---2-----------------------|

Tonally, for a metallica type of palm muting, make sure it's all downstroked. The amp should have the gain fairly high, and metallica tends to scoop their mids. I dunno what amp you have but you should be able to get some sort of mute out of it.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Quote by abcdboy
I've never experienced muddiness with scooped mids (granted the guitar doesn't suck). I guess if it's like scooped to the extreme it'll be, but that's not what I meant.

im just saying depending on the amp and IMO mids up a little has a chunkier sound but i still sometimes scoop mine for like thrash and stuff
You could do what SRV did to achieve his heavier strat tone. You could 1. Use neck pickup, 2. Use heavier strings, 3. Getting over wound Pickups; when comparing over wound to "normal" wound, you will hear that they are more heavier in bass and the treble will be lighter.
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

Here we go... the classic battle of scooped mids vs not scooped mids again, when will you people learn there is no definitive answer, it's personal preference?
ALWAYS

WANNA BE WITH YOU,
MAKE BELIEV
E WITH YOU,
AND L
IVE IN HARMONY, HARMONY,

OH, LOOVE!
Quote by SamxNHO
im just saying depending on the amp and IMO mids up a little has a chunkier sound but i still sometimes scoop mine for like thrash and stuff

Metallica = thrash.

Ha! I win. JP.
Gear...
Quote by Krusader187
i'd slap a humbucker on the bridge

Slaps Krusader187 with a large smelly trout
Turn the gain up, and either switch to bridge/middle position for a humbucker-y sound or roll your tone down a little to make it a bit bassier.

Bridge and middle is probably the WORSE position to use, just because it uses 2 pickups doesn't mean it'll sound like a humbucker. What you get is a thinner, airier sound due to frequency cancellation and that slight out-of-phase feel. Amazing for shimmery cleans or funky tones, but absolute bobbins for heavy distorted stuff.

A strat's a strat, you can't turn it into something it's not, best bet is to just use the bridge pickup and EQ it as best you can...the most sensible suggestion was actually the guy who said to stick a humbucker on it, but he got shouted down...I'd personally rather have a June 07er talking sense than a more "established" member talking out of their arse, but that's just me

Strat neck pickup is too clear and fragile sounding to nail that kind of tone, you need the agression of the bridge, it just means your particular version of that tone will be a little treblier and more ragged than on a humbucker-equipped guitar.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Last edited by steven seagull at Jun 18, 2007,
Quote by steven seagull
...the most sensible suggestion was actually the guy who said to stick a humbucker on it, but he got shouted down...I'd personally rather have a June 07er talking sense than a more "established" member talking out of their arse, but that's just me

Some people (including me) just don't like hummers on a Strat. If you make it into a Fat Strat then all you'll have accomplished is the loss of some of the stuff that make the Strat what it is.

...that's why I'd not recommend the humbucker "solution".
Some people (including me) just don't like hummers on a Strat. If you make it into a Fat Strat then all you'll have accomplished is the loss of some of the stuff that make the Strat what it is.

...that's why I'd not recommend the humbucker "solution".

I agree - a Strat's a Strat and should sound like one, however the TS is looking for an inherently unstratty tone, therefore a humbucker in the bridge is worth considering. Whether they're wrong or not Fat Strats and even Double Fat Strats exist, which means there's a place for them.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

Quote by steven seagull
I agree - a Strat's a Strat and should sound like one, however the TS is looking for an inherently unstratty tone, therefore a humbucker in the bridge is worth considering. Whether they're wrong or not Fat Strats and even Double Fat Strats exist, which means there's a place for them.

+1
i love the strat tone but im putting a bucker in the bridge of my strat for more versatiliy
Quote by beeboshain
marshall mg100dfx some people slay but i love it, think its a good amp for the money and you cant go wrong with marshall...its english!
Use the neck pickup, turn up your bass and use a good pedal.

I've got a strat copy and a **** amp but I get a decent 'heavy' sound of it

edit: i've never used a guitar with a humbucker before, but the neck pickup has more 'low end' in my opinion, which is therefore heaveh. bridge pickup sounds far too trebley for me and is probably only good if i were using a clean tone
Last edited by myearshurt at Jun 18, 2007,
id slap a humbucker in the bridge.
Jenneh

Quote by TNfootballfan62
Jenny needs to sow her wild oats with random Gibsons and Taylors she picks up in bars before she settles down with a PRS.

Set up Questions? ...Q & A Thread

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A/GB&C WTLT Lists 2011
i'd slap you with a... hm...

pillowfight anyone?
Gibson SG Standard + 18volt EMG-81 & 85
Mesa/Boogie Mark IV + Recto 2x12
Keeley Modded BD-2
Vox V847a
Quote by one vision
Bureaucrats gonna crat.

Recognised by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2008
Quote by UnsignedRecords
i'd slap you with a... hm...

pillowfight anyone?

Oh it's on.

Quote by John Mayer
"'What do you do when you've seen the most stupendous, stunning, earth-shattering show of all time?' Uh...I dunno...stop using hyperbole?"

UG 83
Quote by steven seagull
Bridge and middle is probably the WORSE position to use, just because it uses 2 pickups doesn't mean it'll sound like a humbucker. What you get is a thinner, airier sound due to frequency cancellation and that slight out-of-phase feel. Amazing for shimmery cleans or funky tones, but absolute bobbins for heavy distorted stuff.

A strat's a strat, you can't turn it into something it's not, best bet is to just use the bridge pickup and EQ it as best you can...the most sensible suggestion was actually the guy who said to stick a humbucker on it, but he got shouted down...I'd personally rather have a June 07er talking sense than a more "established" member talking out of their arse, but that's just me

Strat neck pickup is too clear and fragile sounding to nail that kind of tone, you need the agression of the bridge, it just means your particular version of that tone will be a little treblier and more ragged than on a humbucker-equipped guitar.

+ 1 billion.

Quote by steven seagull

+ another billion.

I'm sick of fanboy strat fans who consider the evil of hotrodding it with a bridge humbucker the moral equivalent of something slightly worse than the holocaust.

here's the thing:

IF THE THREADSTARTER IS AFTER A HEAVY SOUND, HE/SHE PROBABLY DOESN'T WANT THE VINTAGE STRAT SOUND. AND NO-ONE CARES WHAT YOUR OWN BIASED OPINION IS, IF YOU CAN'T GIVE UNBIASED, HELPFUL ADVICE, NOR STEP INTO SOMEONE ELSE'S SHOES, STFU.

And I like strats. But I also like them with a bridge humbucker.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Wow, that's a pretty big font there, Dave MC... But the way I read the TS' question was that he wanted some metal sounds from a STOCK Strat. I may be wrong, but if he wanted to ask which pickup to swap the stock one for, he might have mentioned that when he asked.

Also, I ain't no Strat fanboy. In fact, I don't like anything about them besides their sound. So with another pup they'd have zero appeal to me.
Quote by jj1565
id slap a humbucker in the bridge.

i'd slap your mom in the face. . .

sorry, first your mom joke over the internets
Recognised by the Official Who To Listen To List 2012

Quote by steven seagull
You don't argue with tubadude on Washburn-related matters, he flosses with the G string from a set of 0.12's y'know....and it's WOUND!
Quote by Pikka Bird
Wow, that's a pretty big font there, Dave MC... But the way I read the TS' question was that he wanted some metal sounds from a STOCK Strat. I may be wrong, but if he wanted to ask which pickup to swap the stock one for, he might have mentioned that when he asked.

Also, I ain't no Strat fanboy. In fact, I don't like anything about them besides their sound. So with another pup they'd have zero appeal to me.

yeah, to be honest, it wasn't just aimed at you. Yours was just the first one i quoted.

There's a big myth (IMO) going round that it's somehow "wrong" to stick a humbucker in the bridge of a strat. it is if you want the quintessential vintage strat tone. It's not if you want a heavier tone, as you're, as steven seagull said, already moving well away from "that" tone.

Again, just because it has zero appeal to you doesn't mean it won't appeal to the threadstarter.

And I love the strat tone too. But not to the point of giving unhelpful advice to someone else who may have a different opinion.

EDIT: also, you're right about him maybe wanting to say stock, it's kind of ambiguous. But I +1'ed Steven Seagull about using the stock bridge single coil too.

I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 18, 2007,
Quote by Dave_Mc
I USE A REALLY BIG FONT BECAUSE IT MAKES ME FEEL BIG

Get over yourself kthx. Fat strats sound like ass compared to a guitar that was really intended to have humbuckers from the start. If he wanted a pickup swap to get heavier tones out of a strat, I'd suggest the SD Strat set that has a hot rails in the bridge.

A Strat is a Strat is a Strat. Not to mention I DID GIVE HELPFUL, UNBIASED ADVICE ON THE FIRST PAGE. TWICE. DON'T BE AN ASSHAT, THANKS.
^ that's preference.

eddie van halen can afford plenty of guitars that are "meant" to have humbuckers in the first place.

And newsflash, the Les Paul started out with single coils.

Technically no guitar is "really intended to have humbuckers". EDIT: considering that even one that did are based on similar construction techniques to those which started out with single coils.

kthnx.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
Last edited by Dave_Mc at Jun 18, 2007,
Get over yourself kthx. Fat strats sound like ass compared to a guitar that was really intended to have humbuckers from the start. If he wanted a pickup swap to get heavier tones out of a strat, I'd suggest the SD Strat set that has a hot rails in the bridge.

In your opinion, however somebody might love the feel and look of a strat, but wants that little bit of extra muscle from a bridge humbucker. As far as I'm concerned a fat strat doesn't sound like a strat should, of course it doesn't, but that doesn't mean it sounds bad. All I read in the original post was "how to get a heavier sound out of a strat", and strictly speaking you can't with a stock strat, that's not what they're good at.

And hot rails sound yucky.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc

^ oh, i missed the bit about hot rails. they sound like ass. in my opinion.
Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by K33nbl4d3

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
get a guitar with humbuckers, sticking a humbucker in a strat completely ruins the strat sound.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
get a guitar with humbuckers, sticking a humbucker in a strat completely ruins the strat sound.

He wants a metallica sound, not a strat sound.
Major of 7 String Legion 7 > 6

Carvin DC747
Ibanez RG2228
Schecter Avenger Custom Shop
and my baby....
Gibson Explorer Studio
Use the bridge pickup and turn up the volume. You'll be surprised how much better it sounds. Lots of distortion+single coils=muddy sounding mess. I've got a squire and it's really hard for me to get anything that even resembles a heavy tone out of it. (that's why I got a Schecter ) And to all the people that said use the neck pickup and turn up the bass, that sounds like crap when I try it. I've found that turning up the mids and treble make my sound a lot heavier, turning up the bass just subtracts definition and clarity. anyway, hope that helped.
Page 1 of 2