What is it about an amp that makes it good for certain things??? ie like what is it about marshalls that give crunch tone and fender that give blues?? im mostly talking about tube amps because is there anything stopping me changing one amp to sound like another?? cheers for help
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
IMO the brands are known for different sounds based mainly on stereotypes. sure a lot of them have those particular sounds, but not all marshalls have that crunch tone... yknow what i mean? it depends on how you set everything... then again, this is just me guessing; i dont REALLY know.
Where its made, and maybe the electronics used?
My Gear

Guitars:
1981 Gibson Les Paul Custom
Fender MIM Standard Strat

Cort Acoustic

Amp:
Marshall JCM 2000 DSL 201

Pedals:
Dunlop Crybaby From Hell
Boss DD20 Giga Delay
Boss CE 2 Chorus
yer but like when u but an amp u can either get an awesome blues amp or an awesome metal amp etc?
so what makes the tone?
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
thats so cool if i get to know this lol. cuz i'd make my fender get the edgey sound like a marshall anytime =D
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Custom Hand-wired Amplifiers and Effect Pedals.

Est. 2007

Source to everything I say about Guitars, Pedals, and Amplifiers: I make them.

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ive got a marshall dsl401 and i was wondering if it was possible to sorta change it to a more bluesy feel
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
Quote by ECistheBest
thats so cool if i get to know this lol. cuz i'd make my fender get the edgey sound like a marshall anytime =D

hahahah swap ya
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
same amp =] on the clean channel back off the treble a bit, add mid and little bass.
use a tubescreamer or a treble booster might help.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
ahh sweet cheers man but im still wondering what gives amp certain tones?

Oh btw dnt suppose on the clean channel of ur dsl401 that u got like a twangy noise sorta thing when up louder??
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
well... not essentially for me. turn up the gain on that thing. it'd sound like jimi hendrixy kind of... but not quite... iono lol. i nail my blues tone from my blues jr. and i have my marshall to go a bit harder. not edgier, cuz my blues jr has lots of bite that iono where it comes from.
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yer im thinking of getting something like a blues junior as like a second amp just for practise and occasional jam
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
i want to A/B it both. using both might give a unique analog stereo chorus kinda thing lol.
but yea. blues jr. is a loud amp. the master volume is really jumpy at like 2~4 unlike the marshall which is kinda quiet at 2~4
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
yer definately i was extremely suprised at the quitnest of the marshall so the blues juniors loud enough for jamin?
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
lol yea. i play with a full power drummer, 800watt carvin bassist, and two Marshall 2x12s. my blues jr has incredible clarity over all of them with orgasmic tone. no mushyness like my two marshall mates. its an AVT series lol...

it runs over my drummer with the master volume at 4 lol...
Call me "Shot".

ShotRod Guitar Works

Est. 2007

UG's Best DIY PedalBoard
isnt it only like a 15watter though??? whoa thats suprising hahah i want one and back to my original question does anyone actually know???
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
Reduce the font size of your sig mr tea.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
ummm ok if u tell me the answer to my question hahah jks of course
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
Quote by mr_tea
yer but like when u but an amp u can either get an awesome blues amp or an awesome metal amp etc?
so what makes the tone?

Alot of the difference you are talking about has to do with the output tubes used in the Fenders compared to the ones in most Marshalls. One is more opf a bluesey overdrive , mellower sound and the other gives more of a crunch. I think this is what you wanted to know.
Quote by MLmaster37
well i definitely trust you *reads posts and sig*
thank you for your help

Over 30 years in the biz. If you are looking for speaker info, I have tried many over the years . So hit me up and I will try to help you younger guys and gals.
yer thats exactly what i wanted to know. so if i changed the tubes i could get my amp sounding more bluesy
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
Quote by mr_tea
yer thats exactly what i wanted to know. so if i changed the tubes i could get my amp sounding more bluesy

Well, kind of. Some amps can only take a certain type of tubes without modification, but a lot of the tone comes from the amps circuitry. Changing tube types won't instantly give you that stereotypical Marshall tone from a Fender amp - using an EQ properly and running some decent effects into the amp can go a long way however.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
well i was actually trying to go about it the other way. make my marshall sound more bluesy. but i dnt really know how to go about this. would it be easier to sell it and by a more bluesy amp?
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
Quote by mr_tea
well i was actually trying to go about it the other way. make my marshall sound more bluesy. but i dnt really know how to go about this. would it be easier to sell it and by a more bluesy amp?

The DSL should be an awesome amp for blues, you might just not be using the right gear with it or the right settings. Go for a nice OD with single coil pickups and you should be part of the way there.
"Everybody, one day will die and be forgotten. Act and behave in a way that will make life interesting and fun. Find a passion, form relationships, don't be afraid to get out there and fuck what everyone else thinks."
yer it can get an awesome like sorta i gues crunchy tone blues but the clean on it is AWESOMELY ****! hahahah so im wondering like how to u no make it better?
DONT FEAR THE REAPER!
The quality of electronic parts, the way it's designed, the cabinet it runs in, the tubes, the speakers.

There are so many variables it's practically impossible to record and account for them all.