hey guys,
my mate is looking into an amp around the $800 (AUD) mark he has narrowed it down to the Laney LX120TWIN and the Line 6 Spider III. I also suggested the Marshall AVT100X which is about $890 (AUD) according to a random site.

just like to get some opinions

note: please correct my prices if incorrect
I believe none of those are tube, so I'd advise him to keep on saving.
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Quote by striker327
^ think the Marshall is Hybrid isn't it?

Personally, I find the difference between hybrid and solid state to be quite small.

Also, I might be wrong, but from your post I'm getting the impression that he wants a half/full-stack. I would very much advise against a solid state (or hybrid) stack.

Solid states tend to break up at higher volumes, which is exactly what you don't want when you buy a stack (plus, stacks are a pain in the ass to take to gigs due to their weight and size, while a good tube combo can usually achieve the same volume (not that it really matters because a lot of places have a PA, which require that your amp isn't cranked up)).
You've read it, you can't un-read it!
Generic metal amp for home use? There are a ton. Look at the palomino series, tube amps that can handle some old rock tones. If it doesn't quite reach, just grab a nice pedal. Also the valvetronix series, or a cube?
Quote by striker327
lol he doesn't want a stack, its more for home. He plays 80s hair metal mostly
RANDALL RG50TC. 80S HAIR METAL IN ONE TUBE COMBO.

Srsly, do it nao.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.