I call upon the resident englishmen in a search for pre-holiday information gathering!

I'll be going to england for a week in a few months time, then travelling around europe for a few more after that. Of COURSE I intend to buy a great amp while I'm there, and I'm after some help.

A few questions for anyone that has the know-how:

1) I'll be looking primarily at Laney's, ENGL's, and Orange's. I've looked up prices and such online and they're phenomenally cheaper in England than they are here in Australia (Laney GH100L for $1000AUD in England, as opposed to $2000AUD here is Australia). I've played plenty of ENGL's, but never an Orange or Laney. I know the reputation Laney's have for their excellent distortion, and Orange for their glorious cleans, but can either really stand up to an ENGL Invader?

So I'm not running the country trying to play every model for the three brands, I ask you to pick ONE amp from each brand for me to prioritize. Bear in mind that I'm a wild-card player. I'm in a metal band, and love the tones of Opeth, Nevermore, and In Flames; but I spend just as much time playing Meshuggah as I do Chet Atkins!

Laney: ? (Looking at GH100L - a choice inspired by Opeth and Paul Gilbert)
Orange: ? (No idea right now - if I got an Orange it's for the cleans - I'd throw an overdrive pedal in for distortion)
ENGL: ? (Looking at Invader myself, I love them to death, but they're still the most expensive I'll ever look at of either brand)

2) Recommend some stores! I live half way across the world from England, so it'd make my life a ****-load easier to know where to go beforehand (don't care where in england they are by the way!).

3) I want to get a new cab as well, but I'm thinking getting the cab back home would be too expensive and effort-requiring for me to bother (I'll probably get an Orange 2x12 back home). That being said, what WOULD shipping the amp head back home cost? Keeping it with me in my travels would be a pretty **** idea, I'd be looking at a lot of extra baggage.

4) How many dicks would I have to suck (in a dollar figure) to get a Diezel? The Diezel Herbert makes me cream in my sleep.

Alright, that's all I can think of for now. Hell, if you've got any other advice for the traveling guitarist, throw it at me too. Cheers for any help!
Well first you've got to decide whether you want a Fender voiced or Marshall voiced amp. The ENGLs are Fender voiced, while the Oranges are mostly Marshall voiced. Havn't played any Laney's so I can't comment on them. Check what amps your fav tones come from and whether they are in the Fender (usually 6L6s for high gain amps) or Marshall (usually EL34s) vein.
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
<Frenchy> I'm such a failure
Orange aren't renowned for cleans, they're renowned for crunch. They have the most amazing gutsy crunch, they make Marshalls sound like toys. They make even Strats sound beautifully deep, soulful and crunchy.
The Laney Thread are big and clever. No exceptions.
Quote by xifr
Well first you've got to decide whether you want a Fender voiced or Marshall voiced amp. The ENGLs are Fender voiced, while the Oranges are mostly Marshall voiced. Havn't played any Laney's so I can't comment on them. Check what amps your fav tones come from and whether they are in the Fender (usually 6L6s for high gain amps) or Marshall (usually EL34s) vein.

Hmmmm, I've got some researching to do. Quite hard to decide which side I prefer, Marshall or Fender.

To make life difficult, Jeff Loomis uses a Krank Krankenstein. **** off! 5881 tubes my ass!

Quote by MrCarrot
Orange aren't renowned for cleans, they're renowned for crunch. They have the most amazing gutsy crunch, they make Marshalls sound like toys. They make even Strats sound beautifully deep, soulful and crunchy.

True, but I still have a soft spot for their cleans.
Quote by Kikuta
Hmmmm, I've got some researching to do. Quite hard to decide which side I prefer, Marshall or Fender.

To make life difficult, Jeff Loomis uses a Krank Krankenstein. **** off! 5881 tubes my ass!

5881s are 6L6s (European term for them or something).
"A wise man once said, never discuss philosophy or politics in a disco environment." - Frank Zappa
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Quote by Kikuta

5881 = 6L6.
^pwnt
Quote by Jinskee
Don't question the X.
Quote by xifr
5881s are 6L6s (European term for them or something).

Quote by mr_hankey
5881 = 6L6.

Well you learn something new every day! Cheers!
i'd just try everything you can get your hands on. cornford, matamp, etc. would also be worth a try. It's mainly preference, i prefer engl to laney, but you might not. Orange is a whole different style of thing.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?