Alright, so im trying out a load of operating systems on my old laptop. Im just interested to see which ones work well. I've tried Vista and XP (all versions) and am currently downloading 98SE and 2000. I've tried loading mac osx onto it but it doesn't like it unsurprisingly, so i want to have a go at linux.

I have already given Ubuntu a try, but i found it something of a pain to use, and i couldnt access the internet as none of the network driver converters or creators would work on the machine.

So, anyone got any other Linux OS for me to try out? Preferably more user friendly than ubuntu.

The computer spec is as follows:

40GB HDD
512ram
2.4Ghz Celeron processor
32mb shared graphics
God knows I don't want to be an angel

PSN ID: MattIgoe
Wii ID: 7810 3870 3554 5359
Gamertag: MattIgoe
They don't really get much easier to use than Ubuntu. Have you tried using KDE or just GNOME? Most new users prefer KDE. You could try SuSE or Fedora.
Mandriva is a very easy to use, user-friendly introduction to Linux
Epiphone Les Paul
T. Haruo Acoustic
Fender MusicMan 210 (130w)
Gentoo, Ubuntu, Mandriva... the list goes on

These days, they are designed for ease of use.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

ubuntu
Quote by SomeoneYouKnew
making a windows machine look like a mac is like putting lipstick on a pig.

~We Rock Out With Our Cocks Out!: UG Naked Club.~
Quote by Captain Insano
Red Hat, or is it Red Hats? I don't remember.

Fedora

Anyway, are you using a USB modem? if so, shame on you. Ethernet modems own the living **** out of them, especially when you're stuck in a console
Cort lover of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join.
On cheating in a relationship...

Quote by metaldud536
If he doesn't use a gameshark, it's not cheating.

I'm a non-regular regular old user.
I'd go for ubuntu, if your network card is built in, and running on ethernet, make sure your running it as eth0
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by rworsl
Gentoo, Ubuntu, Mandriva... the list goes on

These days, they are designed for ease of use.

Gentoo is far from user friendly :P

Anyway there's really dumbed down versions to make it seem like windows, like PCLinuxOS or Xandros. If you don't want to go with one of those and you already don't like Ubuntu I suggest SUSE. It's easy, there's a good forum for help and support (suseforums.net I think), and YaST is easy to work with to set up and configure things. I really didn't like Fedora, the last I tried was 6 and it was buggy as hell.

I used SUSE for quite a while awhile before just going back to Vista. I learned a lot of there were a lot of things that were great about Linux but there were a lot of shortcomings too. For instance, nautilus (file browser) would always crash if I left my computer idle, the fonts look like ****e, you can't really play that many games, and the list goes on.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station
If going for Ubuntu, your better off getting Dapper, which is the LTS (Long Term Support) version. The other later ones (Edgy, which is for bleeding edge testing grounds. And I'm not sure what Fiesty really has going for it) are more experimental releases.

I'm using dapper on a pretty old (5 year +) machine, and its fast as hell.
Quote by tubab0y
Woohoo, I love you Ped!
Quote by Pedricko
If going for Ubuntu, your better off getting Dapper, which is the LTS (Long Term Support) version. The other later ones (Edgy, which is for bleeding edge testing grounds. And I'm not sure what Fiesty really has going for it) are more experimental releases.

I'm using dapper on a pretty old (5 year +) machine, and its fast as hell.

Uh, they fixed a ton of bugs, updated loads of software, recoded things to be easier to use and configure, and added tons of hardware detection. If you have any new hardware you definitely want the latest version, hell even if you don't the latest version is better for desktop usage.

Edgy is far from bleeding edge and experimental, hell it came out in October last year. Feisty is a little more experimental but it came out last April so it's not like it's a testing of beta release or anything. They're all stable releases.

Besides I thought the support was only if you pay for it. And the Ubuntu forums offer tons of support and a wealth of information at no cost.
Breedlove Studio D25/SM Acoustic
Epiphone Les Paul Custom w/ EMGs
B-52 AT-212 Tube Amp
MXR 10 Band EQ
Digitech Bad Monkey
Boss RC-2 Loop Station