Im working on chords, and I dont understand what a perfect interval is... for example and chord that has a root, major 3, perfect 5... What the hell is a perfect fifth? to make chords I count up in the major scale if its a major chord, and if its a minor chord i count up in the minor scale. yeah, so what is perfect?
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
perfect refers to the name of that interval. Its realistically a 5th, in classical terms they refer to it was a perfect 4th or perfect 5th (i think)
as opposed to a sharped or falttened 5th, a perfect 5th is only a 5th......let me know if understnad that

i kinda made it unclear
Gear:
Gibson Faded Flying V

Marshall MG100HDFX
Marshall MA50C

Boss DS-1
Digitech RP50
Digitech Whammy IV
Vox V847 Wah Pedal
*smack* you coulda asked me yesterday

perfect intervals: 2 4 and 5

i like to think of them as perfect intervals because theyre the intervals that dont change when switching from minor to major, or vice versa

they're the intervals that are refered to as augmented(for #) and diminished(for b), however usually the diminished second or augmented second is refered to as a b9 or #9 because it's not that common unless with modes, but it's usually used in chords, which is why it usually the b9 and #9

keep in mind these names, perfect, augmented, and diminished, arent really used constantly, but they're the proper names for them
Quote by beadhangingOne
There is no music but metal and muhammad is its prophet.
mmmm, i need a bit of a better explanation hear. You guys are basically just saying "a perfect fifth, is a perfect fifth" lol!

Ok, In my mind right now there is only a major 5th and a minor 5th... explain where this "perfect" comes from? thanks!
Quote by Johnljones7443
Shredding is having control over your instrument and being free of technical obstacles so your music is not limited by your playing ability.

Quote by Aidy Damage
Classical Gas is when you fart and it smells like the inside of a violin. EVERYONE knows that. n00bs...
Quote by Devon8822
mmmm, i need a bit of a better explanation hear. You guys are basically just saying "a perfect fifth, is a perfect fifth" lol!

Ok, In my mind right now there is only a major 5th and a minor 5th... explain where this "perfect" comes from? thanks!

There's no such thing as a Major fifth, or Major Fourth. The intervals for 4ths and 5ths are Perfect, diminished or augmented. I think.
Quote by atomkat
I can't fxcking descripe in words how much I love you!!!!!!!
Quote by MrJayremmie
marry me.
Stratocaster fan...
explain
Quote by Johnljones7443

Quote by Aidy Damage
Basically, a perfect interval is an interval that normally doesn't change when swapping between major and minor, so 2nd, 4th, 5th and the octave.

An interval that isn't perfect is either major or minor depending on the scale.

Perfect intervals can be flattened or raised, but this usually has the effect of making the note sound jarring in the piece, which is why 2nd, 4ths and 5ths are usually made 'perfect', because a harsh sound isnt wanted.
Quote by Devon8822
Im working on chords, and I dont understand what a perfect interval is... for example and chord that has a root, major 3, perfect 5... What the hell is a perfect fifth? to make chords I count up in the major scale if its a major chord, and if its a minor chord i count up in the minor scale. yeah, so what is perfect?
I invite you to take a look at these three lessons:

1. An Introduction to Intervals

2. The Group 1 Intervals - This group includes the Perfect Intervals (1, 4, 5 and 8)

3. The Group 2 Intervals - This group includes all intervals not included in Group 1

If these lessons don't answer your questions, keep asking.

All the best,
gpb
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Quote by EZLN libertad
...perfect intervals: 2 4 and 5
The interval 2 is a Group 2 interval, 4 and 5 are Group 1 intervals. To make a long story short, we never use the term Perfect with Group 2 intervals, and we never use the terms Major and Minor with Group 1 intervals.

Put another way, there is no such thing as a "Perfect 2". We can certainly have diminished, minor, major and augmented 2s, but the "Perfect 2" does not exist.
All things are difficult before they are easy.
- Dr. Thomas Fuller (British physician, 1654-1734)
Quote by Freepower
For everything you need to know - gpb0216.
Perfect intervals are ones that remain perfect when inverted.

They are 1, 4, 5 and all compounds of them (8, 11, etc.)