This is my dilemma.

I'm 22, been playing bass for 7 years currently have an Italia Mondial, Ibanes GSR and a Tacoma Thunderchief. Nothing to be unhappy with, but here's the thing. I've allways loved the looks and sounds of Rick's. Unfortunately they are verry hard to get in the Netherlands (and the rest of europe) and to make things even harder, I've set my mind on a fretless rick.

A few nights ago I was in a local bar and the owner had a friend from the US over. He used to be a tourmanager for some big acts (david bowie, new edetion) and he can probably hook me up with a Rick FL. It'll probably set me back like 2000 euro´s (2500 US, 1270 GBP)

Would you guys do it? Or is it just too expensive?
'Have you felt the trembling in your stomach, the bass that leads us there'
Its a really good opportunity and it would be a shame to miss it. I say buy it.
Quote by XxLloydxX
How young would you consider no-pedo attempt
dude, go to www.thomann.de, there you can get a rickenbacker 4001 for a decent price... they deliver it to your door within like a week anywhere in europe... you only pay like... 20€ of shipping... good store...
couldn't find the rick on thomann. And even if they have them, do they have fretless. I've really set my mind on a fretless. If this deal won't pull through I'll settle with the new Italia Imola FL.
'Have you felt the trembling in your stomach, the bass that leads us there'
They used to sell Rickys on thomann but they took all the basses down I think. I've played a fretless Rick and it was wonderful! Closest I have ever heard an electric bass get to an upright sound.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
what about them fender squier modified fretless jazz basses? theyre soooo good... dont let the squier tag fool ya... theyre extremely good...
I doubt rickenbacker good.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
^ But not compared to a Rick.

I just checked Thomman, no Ric basses on there

Gear:
Fender Standard Jazz Bass
Artec Matrix Pedal Tuner
BBE Optostomp
Boss GEB 7
EHX NYC Big Muff
Ashdown MAG C410T-300
Torque T100BX
GAS-ing for:
Boss SYB5
Behringer Intelligate IG9
Desolationrow, I have played those squiers and quite a few other fretlesses and none that I played below £300 were any good at all. That squier felt horrible (and I have played a few of them so it wasn't just a one off bad one) and they have nothing on a fretless Rickenbacker, completely different leagues.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
it doesnt feel horrible but i see its not youre type of bass.... of course a rickenbacker is a whole different beast, i wasnt comparing, but for its league its really good... the peddula fretlesses are really good too... there are lots of basses, depends on what sound you want... check out Ebay and you'll find some rickenbacker fretlesses you might get a cool deal as well..
It's my ambition to own a Rickenbacker. Go for it dude.
The will to neither strive nor cry,
The power to feel with others give.
Calm, calm me more; nor let me die
Before I have begun to live.

-Matthew Arnold

Arguments are to be avoided; they are always vulgar and often convincing.