Page 1 of 2
Someone started a thread called "what not to say to bass players"... now im taking the next step: "What to say to guitarrists to kick them in the nuts".

Listen to "Anesthesia" of Metallica or "Hysteria" of Muse, and you'll know what is the full potential of a bass guitar... listen to Jaco Pastorius self-titled album and the bass with melt your balls!

If they say the bass isnt heavy as the guitar, then pick up a russian big muff pedal and make the guitar sink down to oblivion with a crazy distorted bass solo that sounds 500 times heavier then ANY guitar.

If they think bass is easy to play, then ask them something challenging like "Anesthesia" or "Donna Lee" of Pastorius.

Plus just ask them to try shredding on a bass the way most of us skin our hands apart doing from time to time to see if they can!

Yes, bass players sometimes are on the background, but if they werent there, music wouldnt be here today as we know it.

And bass has so much potential yet to be explored.

But YOU - THE BASS PLAYER - have to take a part in this. You have a job to not be unnoticed, and melt people's face and show the world what a bass can really do!

Bass players to the power!

This is not a guitar hate thread... i love guitar and i play guitar as well... but bass is really something... you know...
Last edited by DesolationRow0 at Jun 18, 2007,
guitar and bass r equal in my book...why cant we just get along? =(
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Why can't we just get along, most people like myself play both of the wonderful instruments.
Why? Oh god, why have you created this thread?

Quote by Deliriumbassist
in spite of what I said earlier... go back to the guitar forum.

Hah that's like your signature sentence!
Yeah, bassists are in teh background sometimes, but the music we here without them would just plain and simply suck. And alot of songs have good heavey bass lines in them So whoever thinks playing bass is easy... its just as hard as guitar.
If a guitard is given me problems, I play a funk slap line, and hand him my bass. Then when he cant play, and hands you his guitar to prove his point, I play some pentatonic minor solo. They usually arent left with anything to say after that. NOTE: for this to work, you must know some guitar.

But guitar, bass, and ANY string instrument is easy considered to tuba. SO MLAUGHE!
bassisits are equally important its just really hard to find good ones, if used correctly then its amazing but in the main bassists in major bands tend to be rather crap, but ya look at victor wooten hes bloody amazing
Quote by zepplinfreak51
But guitar, bass, and ANY string instrument is easy considered to tuba. SO MLAUGHE!

Except for Violin, Viola, Cello, and Double Bass which are easily some of the hardest instruments on the planet.

Quote by xSouldriverx
I learned anesthesia the first week i played my bass

I really doubt it.
Last edited by jazz_rock_feel at Jun 18, 2007,
Quote by zeppelinfreak51

hahaha ever play a cello thats another bitch of an instrument?
Quote by zeppelinfreak51
But guitar, bass, and ANY string instrument is easy considered to tuba.

I play a woodwind instrument, much in similiarity to the Tuba, and find it depressingly easy to play, with much less of the complexity that a string instrument offers, I enjoy guitar and bass much more.
I reckon we could just get along....
If guitarists just acknowledged that bass guitar is just as much an instrument as a regular guitar. I can appreciate a good guitar riff or solo...why cant they appreciate a bassline?
Quote by GLP_Arclite
Cut off all your fingers, and keep them in a freezer until your cravings stop, then go to hospital and have them sewn back on.

If you manage to smoke without fingers then you deserve a cigarette
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Except for Violin, Viola, Cello, and Double Bass which are easily some of the hardest instruments on the planet.

Not on the planet. A lot of indian instruments are really complex (one which is fretless, bowed, but you use the back of the finger (nails) to fret the strings.

A lot of wind/brass instruments are very hard. Some of my flute peices leave me out of breath, because they have so many slurs, you can only breath every 4 bars or so, which gets tiring non stop. French horn requires perfect blowing and the use of both hands to get the right sounds (the hand n the end of it is very important).

The viol family isn't that difficult. Think, how many little kids do you see who are increadible violists? Where I am, there are quite a few. (damn 11 year olds )

If they say guitar is easier, ask them to shred a bass. Fat strings make it pretty tough compared to a guitar, with its 0.009 strings. .105 is where it's at
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm_jack
Not on the planet. A lot of indian instruments are really complex (one which is fretless, bowed, but you use the back of the finger (nails) to fret the strings.

A lot of wind/brass instruments are very hard. Some of my flute peices leave me out of breath, because they have so many slurs, you can only breath every 4 bars or so, which gets tiring non stop. French horn requires perfect blowing and the use of both hands to get the right sounds (the hand n the end of it is very important).

The viol family isn't that difficult. Think, how many little kids do you see who are increadible violists? Where I am, there are quite a few. (damn 11 year olds )

Okay so Violin family are the hardest instruments in the western world. But all-in-all they are harder than woodwind or brass instruments. I play clarinet, saxophone, violin, cello and bass. I can easily say there is almost no challenge in clarinet compared to violin. Have you ever played a violin instrument? It's pretty blindingly hard. The only instruments that come close to it's difficulty in the horn section is oboe, bassoon and french horn.
Quote by Sun_Child

Baritone and Tenor Sax

Hey T-sax bros. High five!
Quote by Deliriumbassist
in spite of what I said earlier... go back to the guitar forum.

Deliriumbassist strikes again!
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
why cant we be friends why cant we be friends... - Mighty Mighty bosstons

Btw i think it is pritty ridiculous to discuss witch instrument thats hardest to play when all intruments demand different talents...
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
Okay so Violin family are the hardest instruments in the western world. But all-in-all they are harder than woodwind or brass instruments. I play clarinet, saxophone, violin, cello and bass. I can easily say there is almost no challenge in clarinet compared to violin.

I used to play a bit of violin, and found it easy compared to flute. Gave up because it was junior school so had to do it in groups, and I was so far ahead ti got boring.

It is simply the matter of a good teacher getting the note posistions drilled in, so I found it wasn't a problem to found the notes I needed, which along with getting good tone are the hardest bits on violin.

Shame I suck at fretless bass .

And reply to a guitarist 'I don't care what you think, they are both instruments that need to play together.'
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
Quote by gm jack
I used to play a bit of violin, and found it easy compared to flute. Gave up because it was junior school so had to do it in groups, and I was so far ahead ti got boring.

It is simply the matter of a good teacher getting the note posistions drilled in, so I found it wasn't a problem to found the notes I needed, which along with getting good tone are the hardest bits on violin.

Well, if you just did beginner violin... Any instrument is somewhat easy to start on, but to become proficient at violin is much harder to me than clarinet.
You guys, maybe I've grown retarded over the years spent in this oil-dependent world, but tell me the point of this thread?)

For a while there, I began to think that y'all aren't even musicians) Of course a good guitarist is gonna be hatin on a cruddy bassist, and the other way around. But nobody is gonna hate on a hardworking and knowledgeable artist. I'd be pissed too, if a bassist/guitarist couldn't follow my bluesy impro, for instance! Sometimes people don't understand a simple blues progression. "gimme an A!" - you'd say, and your counterpart'd nod approvingly. And do a completely different thing. As time passes, you grow to be impatient. And it's not about yours being a bitch. It's so frustrating when somebody is all over the place. It just kills you groove, and as a result - entire desire to play for that day. Or when you have a studio paid for. It just goes on. The better you get, the more demanding you gotta be of your skills, and not lower yourselves to "let's diss guitarists!!!!!!!!!!!" threads.

Cheers
Quote by Sun Child
Baritone and Tenor Sax

I only read baritone and I was like "YES! EUPHONIUM PLAYER!" and then I read tenor. :[
* Nobody likes WootSticks
Well, one way to piss off guitar players is to spell it 'guitarrists'.
Quote by Cody_Grey102
I was looking at a used Warwick Vampyre LTD 5'er for about $200. I went home to grab my wallet and came back and some jerk with an epic beard got it already..
I was kind of joking when I said tuba is harder. Really, all instruments are the hardest to play at something. I think improve is hardest on wind instruments and easiest on piano. I think overall intonation is hardest on the violin family and so on so forth. But try playing Emmits Lullaby at 190 BPM on tuba and see if you dont pass out.
If a guitarist says bass is easier because it has only 4 strings I say "aha! but you have pussy strings" and they say "touche you cad!"
*sigh*

I guess I could repost what I've posted in countless of other "Bass rox guitar sux!" threads, but why even bother?

It's pathetic that some people never learn that being a musician isn't about competing like some f*cking nine-year-old.
Quote by yawn
*sigh*

I guess I could repost what I've posted in countless of other "Bass rox guitar sux!" threads, but why even bother?

Yup, that's how it goes. 12 year old "guitarists" flame bassists and 12 year old "bassists" make these kind of threads. I like to call it... the circle of life.
To be honest I don't think there are a whole lot of guitarists out there that act like jerks when it comes to bass, just a few jackasses who think guitar is meant to boost your ego and make you better than everyone else. I would like to learn how to play bass (and yes I realize that bass isn't easy to learn just because I play guitar). Guitar and bass are two instruments that are meant to work along side of each other, in my opinion.
Most people I know have a lot of respect for bass, and when they don't, I whip out a little Maxwell Murder
Quote by thefitz
Well, one way to piss off guitar players is to spell it 'guitarrists'.

though they'll probably spell our 'profession' "bas GUITARRIST" instead.
Page 1 of 2