T T T
E|---------------------------
A|-----------------------12-8-7--
D|------------12-8-7-5---------
G|-12-8-7-5------------------
B|---------------------------
i cant seem to fin what key its in, its not in any of the major minors..
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
wait, its prob a major minor but prob like a Ebmajor or something.
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
what do you mean f# f# major or f# minor?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Looks like it's in Bb major/G minor, 'cause you've got your 2 flats (Bb & Eb). I was going to say maybe I'm wrong because your diagram is either upside-down or mislabeled, but actually it doesn't matter either way. But yeah, looks like it's in Bb major/G minor.
how did you figure that out?!? because i found out the notes and none of them had all the notes in one scale. is that how you find out the key?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by lua4x
how did you figure that out?!? because i found out the notes and none of them had all the notes in one scale. is that how you find out the key?

If I'm correct (I may not be), all the notes in there are A Bb C D Eb F and G. The key of Bb major has 2 flats, Bb and Eb. That's how I figured it out. I used to think naming keys was ridiculously hard until I learned how many sharps and flats each key has. Here's the Wikipedia page on key signatures; if you scroll down it'll show you all of them. Check out the Circle of Fifths too; it's a nice additional tool.
all the notes aren't in one major scale.. but most of the notes fit in Bb Major..

the last note E is a b5 in Bb, which is why its the only note that sounds funky..

You just have to see which key the phrase GENERALLY fits in..
Quote by battleguard
the last note E is a b5 in Bb, which is why its the only note that sounds funky.

Aw damn, I didn't even catch that! I shouldn't have been in such a hurry.
Yeah, that's a really weird note. But a lot of times guitarists will just copy a pattern like that (12-8-7-5) all the way down or up the fretboard; it's nothing melodically correct, but I think there might be a name for it. The intro solo to "Hot for Teacher" by Van Halen is a lot like that, actually. No, it doesn't necessarily perfectly fit in any particular key, but it sounds (and looks) cool nonetheless. There's a part in "Crazy Train" that reminds me of this concept too:
  E S S E E +E  S S S S S S S S
|-5-----------------------------|
|-3-------2-(2)-----------------|
|-2-------2-(2)-4p2p0-----------|
|-4-------2-(2)-------4p2p0-----|
|---0-0-0-0-(0)-------------4p2-|
|-------------------------------|

Doesn't make sense, but it's cool.

[/end of rant]
A# major with a sharp 4th added or G natural minor with a major sixth added. Probably A# major, since the E was probably added to give it a kind of bluesy sound. Technically, though, it's A# Japanese (Ichikosucho).
well. its suppposed to be a tapping riff but the T's got messed and its for a metal sonng lol. so what is the final verdict on the key?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by lua4x
well. its suppposed to be a tapping riff but the T's got messed and its for a metal sonng lol. so what is the final verdict on the key?

It's really not in any 1 particular key. Its a minor pattern being played in parallel.

you could look at it as 3 keys... Dm Gm and Cm. although if youre playing it fast like I suspect, that might not help you as much.

Could sound good over a Dm, in which case you can look at the Eb as a chromatic tone. There are other possiblities as well. use you ear, if it sounds good, its right, and there will be someway to justify it theoretically.
shred is gaudy music
Last edited by GuitarMunky at Jun 18, 2007,
I wrote these few progressions and can't find what key I'm in.
someone help me, help me please. (crossroads)

Dm/e, Aadd9 (verse)

E, G, D, A, G (chorus)

E5, D, A, C (bridge)

I think it may be in the key of D or G.
Well.. it fits better in G but since u got DMaj and Dmin, its not in any major key perfectly..