Page 1 of 3
MXTabs is set to return this summer with a new liscencing that legitimately allows them to provide tabs for free to musicians! I don't know about anyone else here (and i did search the topic before hand) but im pretty extatic about this news, being quite a long term user of the site and forum. So, what are your thoughts? Any ex-users going back to use the site again? Personally i think they were better for tabs as they had individual bass, and drum sections (though no powertab or Guitar Pro files, which is a HUGE plus for me when using UG). I will continue to use UG, but is anyone else excited about this?
No.
Gunpowder: FUCKING ROCKS!!!
Quote by The Madcap
[witty set-up]
Gunpowder FUCKING ROCKS!!!!!

Quote by Kensai

Gunpowder you fucking rock!!

Quote by Dirge Humani
Now I can say, with sufficient certainly, that you, Gunpowder...

FUCK ROCKS!
Quote by musicianamedave
Ug > Mx

win

if you need drum tabs, just look up guitar pro files.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

Quote by redh0tchilip3pp
Why would anybody need MXTabs when we've got UG.

/\/\/\

UG is like America, we are better than everybody else, and everyone knows it.
Duke Ellington - If it sounds good, it is good.
Mx is for noobs!
MM Stingray
MIA P Bass
MIM Jazz Bass
GK 700RB-II Head
GK 410SBX Cab
Sansamp 3 Ch. DI
Crybaby Bass Wah
Bass Big Muff
DD3 Delay

MIA Strat
Nashville Tele
Martin 00015M
Hot Rod Deluxe
Big Muff
DS1
Hendrix Crybaby Wah
Quote by daytripper75
no, im not excited. i dont see any advantage that it has over this site.

drum tabs?
Quote by freedoms_stain

I think it's sick to force kids to take part in hate mongering and sick for spoonman to think its right for any adult to throw anything at a child.
Personally I'm not excited but if it has a decent selection of drum tabs then the drummer in my band will be ecstatic.

edit:

Quote by RHCPKicksA$$
win

if you need drum tabs, just look up guitar pro files.

Unfortunately as these are usually tabbed out by guitarists they are almost always wrong.
Quote by StaggHound
That's the problem with kids today. No upper body strength.
Back in my day, when you smashed a guitar, it stayed smashed.

Cunning Pikes

The one and only member of the Cunning Pike Club.
Last edited by mrf1shie at Jun 18, 2007,
Quote by Anything Goes
/\/\/\

It's idiots like you that give your country such a bad image.
PLAY UP POMPEY

POMPEY PLAY UP!

it has more drum tabs I guess, but that's about the only reason.

Plus it's somewhere to go if UG goes...away... *sheds tear*
Quote by pimpinazndude
^ wut he said

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE
EEEESSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS
SSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS!
Quote by *Spoonman*
drum tabs?

It's easier to just play it by ear with drums
GREAT ODIN'S RAVEN
Quote by rworsl
It's idiots like you that give your country such a bad image.

It's idiots like you that don't sense sarcasm.
I used to use MX before UG. I'll probably use it again. Who knows? MX might start uploading Guitar Pro tabs, then UG might have to compete with them?

MX=UG (If it gets GP and PowerTab tabs)
what if your not a musician? How do you get free crappy tabs then?
Gear:
1965 Fender Mustang not a RI
Squier Vintage Modified Jazz Bass

Peavey Classic 50

To be honest, I used mxtabs more than ultimate guitar when it was around. But now, there wont be much of a difference, only the drums and bass....which I might use occasionally. As long as I can view my guitar tabs, then im happy.
TRANSFORMICE

Amazing how parochial some of you guys are about UG.

I've always used UG most, but my drummer will be happy that MX is back.
Quote by adamrandall
ahh yes SRV. i got the intro on texas flood (easy) and then he's like twangledoodleblopdebloo dun dun dun dun DA dun DA and im like *dead*.

The Unholy plays a Jackson Warrior X through a Metal Muff

Squigglymetal!
Quote by Anything Goes
/\/\/\

Man, that's really ironic considering UG is Russian.
Thus sayeth the Lord.

<//////>~
I think that it's a good sign, and maybe a whole bunch of other sites will come back to life. Still I'll stick to my beloved UG
<Omri> I love trannys too..
"MXTabs.net is the first legitimately licensed site designed to provide musicians with access to free tabs, while also compensating music publishers and songwriters for their intellectual property."

From MXTabs.net's ABOUT section. I thought UG was licensed for it too? And before MXTabs? I thought that was the whole reason why we didn't get shut down by the RIAA.

That and we're communists.

"When you download from UG, you're downloading communism!"
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Actually yes i am excited, it was all i used before i discovered UG, and it does have accurate tabs which UG doesnt have, so basically i'll be switching from one tab site to another

and it has drum tabs too, without having to use guitar pro

but still, UG is the best out there
Quote by Black Star
"MXTabs.net is the first legitimately licensed site designed to provide musicians with access to free tabs, while also compensating music publishers and songwriters for their intellectual property."

From MXTabs.net's ABOUT section. I thought UG was licensed for it too? And before MXTabs? I thought that was the whole reason why we didn't get shut down by the RIAA.

I don't think we are licensed because we don't need one. UG is hosted in Russia, but the restrictions are coming from America, thus Russia doesn't apply to Americas rules, thus no need for a license.
Quote by lemon
It's easier to just play it by ear with drums

Try that with a Tool song. And while the drum parts on most GP files are close to spot on, they are still mostly made by guitar players so they aren't always possible to play (you will need to hit 3 cymbals and the snare at the same time on some, etc). And sometimes the drum kits translate badly to standard notation on GP. Anyway, the drum tabs were the only thing mx had over ug...so if you don't play drums then there is no reason to go over there.
Quote by Anything Goes
I don't think we are licensed because we don't need one. UG is hosted in Russia, but the restrictions are coming from America, thus Russia doesn't apply to Americas rules, thus no need for a license.

They still have a license though, though it is not through the RIAA. It's through the ROMS, if I remember correctly. They pay artists royalties and everything.

EDIT:

"Ultimate-Guitar.Com website is absolutely legal tablature archive which activity is based on a Russian Organization on Collective Management of Rights of Authors and Other Rightholders in Multimedia, Digital Networks & Visual Arts (ROMS)' license. ROMS is the national Russian organization providing professional collective management of authors’ property rights and protection of interests of rightsholders in cases of use of their works in digital interactive networks, including the Internet.

ROMS operates in full conformity with the legislation of the Russian Federation on copyright and related rights as a Russian national organization managing property author rights and related rights on a collective basis (Articles 44 - 47 of the Law of Russian Federation on Copyright and Related Rights).

Ultimate-Guitar.Com regularly pay royalties to an appropriate rightholders."
My guitar modification blog.
Quote by MuffinMan
Jesus was all like "To those about to rock, I salute you." then he grabbed his mighty axe and rocked the Romans out really hard. Of course they were strict classical music so....
Quote by Anything Goes

Yeah, we are licenced, just in case something happens.
Quote by Hells_Bell
I think that it's a good sign, and maybe a whole bunch of other sites will come back to life. Still I'll stick to my beloved UG

I feel the same. I mean my opening post probably made me seem like i adored MXTabs, it was good, but looking back now im glad it closed down coz thats how i started to use UG more . Im still happy its back though because it was the site i always went to when i was starting out with guitar
Quote by Anything Goes
/\/\/\

haha, sigged.

seriously, why should any UG'ers care? its just another tab website, there are plenty more. its just that UG pwns them all.
Quote by Don't Read This
letthebassplay you are now a legend

Quote by StraightxXxEdge
Awesome is a feeling. It's in your pants.

RIP Bellamy...

Calvin and Hobbes Group!
Quote by chris_red
Actually yes i am excited, it was all i used before i discovered UG, and it does have accurate tabs which UG doesnt have, so basically i'll be switching from one tab site to another

and it has drum tabs too, without having to use guitar pro

but still, UG is the best out there

i agree
TBH, I used MX when I started out and it annoyed me when it shut down. Then I came here, and UG has an infinitely superior community. I'll be fine.
Page 1 of 3