1. What guitar is similar to the Tom Delonge Strat?

2. Would a Schecter Gryphon sound good with 2 invader pickups?

3. A guitar with 2 or 1 invader pickups sound more like Tom Delonge Strat.

4. Something reccomended other than invader

5. Can a mic plug into a guitar amp?
Sounds to me like you wanna sound like Tom DeLonge a bit too much . Try and develop your own sound that feels like 'you'
Last edited by Sir Talkalot at Jun 18, 2007,
a mic can plug into a guitar amp if you have a XLR to jack adaptor. but it won't sound very good, because a guitar amp is designed for guitar, not vocals.
Rig Winter 2017:

Fender Jazzmaster/Yamaha SG1000
Boss TU-3, DS-2, CS-3, EHX small stone, Danelectro delay
Laney VC30-112 with G12H30 speaker, or Session Rockette 30 for smaller gigs
Elixir Nanoweb 11-49 strings, Dunlop Jazz III XL picks
Shure SM57 mic in front of the amp
But...

1. Any Strat style guitar should do, whether Fender, or Encore etc (Fender for best results)
2. Probably, but thats something you will have to try yourself, coz its what sounds good to you that matters
3. Again, something you'll have to find out yourself, if not research what Tom uses
4. Seymour Duncan in the bridge position probably
5. Yes, but it works with some amps better than others for tone/volume reasons often, and they're meant for guitars, not vocals
I won't answer other q's as I don't know much about Tom Delonge etc,
but
5. Yes some mics can plug into a guitar amp with the correct cable (XLR to 1/4inch jack). BUT they will likely sound dreadful, clean channel is only possible way to not sound like an electro dj, and many higher end amps recquire 'Phantom Power' which a guitar amp won't have.
what about a spider iii 15 amp
Punk at heart... ... and yes Rancid is punk. haha go alkalien trio and afi babey!
I am not skilled in the aspect of Fender advice, so I will stay away from that.
However, if you plug a mic into a guitar amp, beware the feedback.
It sounds sortof like, you in a womb, playing with matches, while starting up a car while a cat sleeps under the hood.

Just a warning.
Invaders are eh, sub par pickups imo. And don't buy the spider, please god do not buy the spider, I used to have one and ended up just giving it to my friend cause I got a Vox and then I saw how horrible that amp sounds. We need a sticky or something that says in huge letters DO NOT BUY MARSHALL MGs OR LINE 6 SPIDERS! But then, people probably still wouldn't see it =P
Quote by Dave_Mc
I've had tube amps for a while now, but never actually had any go down on me
Quote by jj1565
maybe you're not saying the right things? an amp likes to know you care.

www.SanctityStudios.com
Quote by MatrixClaw
We need a sticky or something that says in huge letters DO NOT BUY MARSHALL MGs OR LINE 6 SPIDERS! But then, people probably still wouldn't see it =P

I Friggin wish! But no, i got a MG15MSII not knowing how much better i could have done for £200 , it makes me feel ashamed to play along with my favourite tunes
Quote by MatrixClaw
Invaders are eh, sub par pickups imo. And don't buy the spider, please god do not buy the spider, I used to have one and ended up just giving it to my friend cause I got a Vox and then I saw how horrible that amp sounds. We need a sticky or something that says in huge letters DO NOT BUY MARSHALL MGs OR LINE 6 SPIDERS! But then, people probably still wouldn't see it =P

i already do have a spider iii 15 and thinking about getting a marshall half stack for 600
Punk at heart... ... and yes Rancid is punk. haha go alkalien trio and afi babey!
Quote by sdmf.1919
Why would you want to sound like Tom Delong lol

i like his sound
Quote by forsaknazrael
...the Marshall MG halfstack..?

yes the mg100hdfx with the mg412 slant cab. its the only marshall half stack i can afford. if there is another cheap one around that price tell me but i really want a marshall. i heard the line 6 is good but i dont want another spider..
Quote by forsaknazrael
I'd stay away from the Invaders. They're pretty bad pickups.

is there another good pickup with good tone as well as good punkish powerchords
Quote by AFIrocks
yes the mg100hdfx with the mg412 slant cab. its the only marshall half stack i can afford. if there is another cheap one around that price tell me but i really want a marshall. i heard the line 6 is good but i dont want another spider..

Crate Gt1200h. Amazing. You can get it some places for about 400$. But if you think AFI rocks then you'd be better of with the Marshall MG.

Oh yeah, why do you want a Marshall so bad? Because AFI plays them?
Don't bother with new pickups if you're only playing the Line 6 Spider 3 right now. It won't make a difference. trust me. An amp is more influential on your tone than pickups.
And don't get the Marshall MG halfstack..
1 - It's a ripoff, there's better amps at the same price level.
2 - You don't need a halfstack for it to be loud. My 40W tube combo would pummel the 100W MG. Easily.
Quote by rockownsyou
Crate Gt1200h. Amazing. You can get it some places for about 400$. But if you think AFI rocks then you'd be better of with the Marshall MG.

Oh yeah, why do you want a Marshall so bad? Because AFI plays them?

cause i heard marshall has a great reputation and a lot of professionals use them.
Quote by forsaknazrael
No, Marshall TUBE amps have a good reputation.
Not their solid states. Their solid states are pretty trashy.

im sorry but im not really familiar with amps and stuff. whats a TUBE amp.
Quote by AFIrocks
cause i heard marshall has a great reputation and a lot of professionals use them.

Don't buy into that. They want to fool you by promising something that isn't there (good tone, relaiability, etc.)
Basses
Ibanez Gio GSR100 w/ SDs

Amps
Acoustic B200
Quote by forsaknazrael
No worries. Most people aren't. Thats why Spiders and MGs get bought - no one knows any better, and salesmen don't care.

A tube amp is an amplifier that is powered by tubes. That is what all the "professionals" use.

okay. so what half stack should i buy? other than the crate are there any other choices?
Quote by AFIrocks

Sigged

And that Crate is amazing. You can hear the sound for yourself here

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNqXLlRs-kE

I am using no effects whatsoever. Just the amp. Best amp I've played especially for the price.
Quote by AFIrocks
okay. so what half stack should i buy? other than the crate are there any other choices?

You missed my other point. You don't NEED a halfstack. You can do just fine, volume-wise, with a combo. Besides, most halfstacks in that range are pretty lame. The speakers in the cabs are not that great.

It depends on a few things...
Budget?
Style of Music?
Purpose for new amp (practice, jamming, or gigging, or what...)?
Quote by rockownsyou
Sigged

I am using no effects whatsoever. Just the amp. Best amp I've played especially for the price.

WOW THAT IS AMAZING. o and also can u reccomend me a washburn? maybe liek a cheaper version fo those 3000 dollar guitars. maybe the one matt skiba uses.
Look kid, here's the deal.

You're looking at ****ty equipment and you think it's good because it has big names on it.

Here's what you do. Listen to my (and others') advice, and stop trying to act like you know what you're talking about, because we know you don't. Just listen, we're not going to judge you.

Buy yourself a decent guitar; if you don't know what a decent guitar is, post here, with what you play and how much you have to spend.

Buy yourself a decent amp; anything that says "Marshall" and "MG" is pretty bad, as well as Spiders, and most Crates aren't so amazing. You don't need a halfstack for any purpose until you are an absolute professional musician and are touring with a band. Spending all your money on a ****ty halfstack will only make you sad, instead try buying a real amp, like a Vox Valvetronix or something. Tubes = good.

Don't spend any money on pickups until you 100% know you need to. They don't have nearly the impact on tone that you think they do. Pickups should be the last thing you change to fix your tone, and the first thing should be your amp, followed by your technique.

Invaders are not great pickups.

Tom Delonge's tone is actually not that great. Well, it's good, but it's not worth imitating. Make your own sound, and you will enjoy that more.

For what you seem to like, I would recommend this amp:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

A guitar along these lines:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037

(Personal preference mostly, either one will work for what you've said you like to play. Though, if you want to play heavier stuff, the Strat won't work as well.)

Get yourself some guitar lessons too.

As for singing, this will probably do the trick:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Passport-P150-Portable-PA-System?sku=480634

That's about all I can say.
Quote by forsaknazrael
You missed my other point. You don't NEED a halfstack. You can do just fine, volume-wise, with a combo. Besides, most halfstacks in that range are pretty lame. The speakers in the cabs are not that great.

It depends on a few things...
Budget?
Style of Music?
Purpose for new amp (practice, jamming, or gigging, or what...)?

something under 900 dollars.
ANY kind of rock mostly punk tho like afi or blink
jamming and playing at public pools
Quote by rockownsyou
Sigged

You haven't played a lot of amps, have you? That sounds pretty...well...lame to me. Dry distortion, very preampy...but not like real metal preamp distortion, not a lot of dynamics, bass is overpowering at parts....Doesn't sound like there's a lot of versatility to it...

EDIT: I'd check out the Traynor YCV50 blue. That's a good amp, within your price range, that will be MORE than enough volume for your purposes and will hit those tones.
Quote by aleister
Look kid, here's the deal.

You're looking at ****ty equipment and you think it's good because it has big names on it.

Here's what you do. Listen to my (and others') advice, and stop trying to act like you know what you're talking about, because we know you don't. Just listen, we're not going to judge you.

Buy yourself a decent guitar; if you don't know what a decent guitar is, post here, with what you play and how much you have to spend.

Buy yourself a decent amp; anything that says "Marshall" and "MG" is pretty bad, as well as Spiders, and most Crates aren't so amazing. You don't need a halfstack for any purpose until you are an absolute professional musician and are touring with a band. Spending all your money on a ****ty halfstack will only make you sad, instead try buying a real amp, like a Vox Valvetronix or something. Tubes = good.

Don't spend any money on pickups until you 100% know you need to. They don't have nearly the impact on tone that you think they do. Pickups should be the last thing you change to fix your tone, and the first thing should be your amp, followed by your technique.

Invaders are not great pickups.

Tom Delonge's tone is actually not that great. Well, it's good, but it's not worth imitating. Make your own sound, and you will enjoy that more.

For what you seem to like, I would recommend this amp:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Peavey-ValveKing-112-Combo-Amp?sku=481442

A guitar along these lines:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Epiphone-G400-SG-Electric-Guitar?sku=518291
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Standard-Stratocaster-Electric-Guitar?sku=516037

(Personal preference mostly, either one will work for what you've said you like to play. Though, if you want to play heavier stuff, the Strat won't work as well.)

Get yourself some guitar lessons too.

As for singing, this will probably do the trick:
http://www.musiciansfriend.com/product/Fender-Passport-P150-Portable-PA-System?sku=480634

That's about all I can say.

sry i am only 13 and have been playing for 8 years and have only been playing with a gryphon and a 15 watt amp with a mt2 metal zone pedal. i dont know much so im trying to find out stuff to buy give me a break
Quote by forsaknazrael
You haven't played a lot of amps, have you? That sounds pretty...well...lame to me. Dry distortion, very preampy...but not like real metal preamp distortion, not a lot of dynamics, bass is overpowering at parts....Doesn't sound like there's a lot of versatility to it...

EDIT: I'd check out the Traynor YCV50 blue. That's a good amp, within your price range, that will be MORE than enough volume for your purposes and will hit those tones.

It fits my style. Anyways, I'm here to try and help the kid, not debate the greatness of my amp.

Anyways, TS don't try and emulate someones sound. Get a washburn if you want. They are kindof expensive but worth it.
Quote by rockownsyou
It fits my style. Anyways, I'm here to try and help the kid, not debate the greatness of my amp.

Anyways, TS don't try and emulate someones sound. Get a washburn if you want. They are kindof expensive but worth it.

Well, I'm just saying. The greatest amp you've ever played is kind of misleading if you haven't tried a lot of amps.
Quote by forsaknazrael
Well, I'm just saying. The greatest amp you've ever played is kind of misleading if you haven't tried a lot of amps.

It's the best amp I've played IN THAT PRICE RANGE.
I think the best amp I've ever played was either a Peavey XXX full stack or a Mesa Boogie dual Rectifier.
Quote by AFIrocks
1. What guitar is similar to the Tom Delonge Strat?

2. Would a Schecter Gryphon sound good with 2 invader pickups?

3. A guitar with 2 or 1 invader pickups sound more like Tom Delonge Strat.

4. Something reccomended other than invader

5. Can a mic plug into a guitar amp?

1: any strat that's routed for a bridge humbucker, presumably, and which is made of the same wood (i'm assuming alder, and maple/rosewood neck/fingerboard, but i could be wrong).

2: dunno, i'd guess invaders would sound pretty dark in it.

3: tom's only had a bridge pickup i believe, so i guess 1 pickup would be closer, but to hear the difference that that extra bit of routed wood would cause you'd need to be eric johnson, most likely. So i'd go with two pickup for versatility.

4: anything. seriously. it's one of my least favourite pickups.

5: generally no, but it depends on the amp- some amps have an extra input for a mic.

I think, i'm not too certain about 5

Quote by forsaknazrael
He's trying to help, really. Just came off harsh. The amp he posted is okay, but there are better ones for the price. Check out the Traynor YCV50 Blue, like I suggested.

I agree, based on the traynors i've tried, it's very nice.

heck, you could probably even score a decent tube halfstack in the USA with $900 (though a combo will probably be better at the same price).

^ i agree, with 900 dollars, in the USA, you can get a lot better than that crate.
I'm an idiot and I accidentally clicked the "Remove all subscriptions" button. If it seems like I'm ignoring you, I'm not, I'm just no longer subscribed to the thread. If you quote me or do the @user thing at me, hopefully it'll notify me through my notifications and I'll get back to you.
Quote by K33nbl4d3
I'll have to put the Classic T models on my to-try list. Shame the finish options there are Anachronism Gold, Nuclear Waste and Aged Clown, because in principle the plaintop is right up my alley.

Quote by K33nbl4d3
Presumably because the CCF (Combined Corksniffing Forces) of MLP and Gibson forums would rise up against them, plunging the land into war.

Quote by T00DEEPBLUE
Et tu, br00tz?
WOW THAT IS AMAZING. o and also can u reccomend me a washburn? maybe liek a cheaper version fo those 3000 dollar guitars. maybe the one matt skiba uses.

I have to say that's a pretty...well, "meh" tone. I've heard worse don't get me wrong, but it's not that great either.

TS, I think you're worrying about all this far too much - pickups are one of those things that click when the time is right. If you're having to ask about them then it's not the time to be replacing them...I know that sounds kind of patronising but it's the truth. The difference now is you can sit on the internet and be bombarded with people telling you to change pickups, and you can read up on far more information.

All you need is a decent guitar and a decent amp...not a halfstack because any halfstack in your price range will be crap. Get a decent combo, either a tube one (read the sticky on amps for more info) or something solid state, depends on the kind of sound you're aiming for.
Actually called Mark!

Quote by TNfootballfan62
People with a duck for their avatar always give good advice.

...it's a seagull

Quote by Dave_Mc
i wanna see a clip of a recto buying some groceries.

stuffmycatswatchontv.tumblr.com
Quote by AFIrocks

Solid State- The kind of poop that really hurts when it comes out, and causes you to make sharp grunting noises.

Tube= The kind of slippery **** that feels oh so good and makes you purr like a kitten.

(actualy it has something to do with amps)

/usless