We always talk about stuff like improv and slap and poppin.. and so forth, but when you seek a band and when you talk to people in bands they go, just play the root notes and don´t solo (wich is a wrong term for spicing the line up). Is it just that I spice it up too much or is it the bands faults.
This sounds weird maybe anyone gets it...

NOTE that I play stuff like cinderella, mötley crue, LA guns and stuff like that.
Cort Action 4 string
Hughes kettner bassforce L 100w amp
Line 6 spider 2 amp
Ibanez GIO
Landola Nylon Acoustic
Well, there is such a thing as too much embellishment (that's the right word). For the most part though if the band isn't willing to give ANY room for a bass line at all then I would say it's the bands fault, although in reality it's no ones "fault". Some bands just don't have room for a bass and it's mostly just for the boom. If that's not the kind off band you want to be in then get out.
Perhaps. Our bass player is an octave junkie lol While it does spice things up now and then, most of the time it kind of removes the "bottom end" if you know what I mean. Like kills the "heavyness" (if thats a word lol) of the riff. I remember seeing quite a few bands that the bass player added a bunch of runs and such to the song. While it showcases the bass players talent, it also distracts from key points of songs.

Also most guitarist are "glory hounds" you could just be "stealing" their glory lol
f your penis keeps dipping in the toilet water........just toss it over your right shoulder...
if you play that kinda music you normally...you know... you just pick up the root notes, then you embelish the line a little (do something fancy outta there), cose thats what most of the bands do... but you dont have to do what most of the bands do... go out there and kick some serious ass show us and them something unheard of, thats what playing bass these days to me is all about...
No I would say embellish is the right word. I play My Girl and in it Jamerson plays basically up the major pentatonic scale. I embellish the line by playing different rhythms and dead notes. I don't diversify the line by playing something entirely different or take the essence of the groove away.
yeah but i mean... you know... make something a little cooler but without being too complex... and keeping it in the pocket...
Sometimes, as one user says, the band won't give a lot of room for you to really groove, like mine. My guitarist wants me to slap, but we play punk music so...yeah. Guitar players don't know what they're talking about.

I just usually try to play with the drums. Sometimes when he rides the crash or high hat I'll just jump an octave or a fifth. Even if you can't do that, pound the root and smile.
u could just slap ur notes for a cooler tone. idk sometimes they dont like it, but remember when u add stuff to it keep it in the same key and if its a major song dont add like minor stuff in... cuz that kinda messes it up, and maybe they just like huge loud low-ish sound so maybe they dont like funky embelishment in the lower strings, if so, do something higher.
-Girl Bassist & Drummer-
Music: Thrash metal, punk, ska, Grunge, old rock, Techno
Pref Bands: Anthrax early Nirvana RHCP Led Zep Fallz Pantera Black Sabbath Operation Ivy Reel Big Fish Misfits Ramones Mudhoney Arctic Monkeys Muse 2 many 2 name
You could also increase your finger speed to flow with drum rolls like Geddy Lee.
If my band insisted I only play roots, I'd probably leave. Quickly. If it's not going to be fun to play inthe band, what's the point?
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Embellish means to stretch the truth.

em·bel·lish /ɛmˈbɛlɪʃ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[em-bel-ish] Pronunciation Key - –verb (used with object)
1. to enhance (a statement or narrative) with fictitious additions.

Don't argue with an English Major.
Quote by rooster456

em·bel·lish /ɛmˈbɛlɪʃ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[em-bel-ish] Pronunciation Key - –verb (used with object)

em·bel·lish /ɛmˈbɛlɪʃ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[em-bel-ish] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object)
1. to beautify by or as if by ornamentation; ornament; adorn.

that definition fits his usage perfectly, as an English major you should know that words can have more than one meaning, and embellish in this sense is pretty commonly used in music.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
Last edited by Kid_Thorazine at Jun 19, 2007,
Quote by Kid_Thorazine
em·bel·lish /ɛmˈbɛlɪʃ/ Pronunciation Key - Show Spelled Pronunciation[em-bel-ish] Pronunciation Key - Show IPA Pronunciation
–verb (used with object)

that definition fits his usage perfectly, as an English major you should know that words can have more than one meaning, and embellish in this sense is pretty commonly used in music.

wow that is some classic ownage. ...
Quote by Drmckool
without having read this thread and just seeing the title since i've been not on the forum for a month i'm just going to say

"why can't we be friends"
Thing like trill and mordents can be refered to as embellishments or ornaments.

Nowerdays, english majors don't seem to difficult do they? (I do it to my dad, who has an english masters. I still like to point out spelling and grammar mistakes)
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
In a band , I try and link the drums to the vocals whilst adding spice and variety- I like my effects, I like to throw in accidentals, I like to play quite melodic lines. However, I am quite happy to lay down a chugging root note line when needs be. The fact that I write all the music for my band helps as well
Quote by Deliriumbassist
In a band , I try and link the drums to the vocals whilst adding spice and variety- I like my effects, I like to throw in accidentals, I like to play quite melodic lines. However, I am quite happy to lay down a chugging root note line when needs be. The fact that I write all the music for my band helps as well

You keep on mentioning you write all the music for your band and I've always wondered - are your bandmates actually OK with that? I mean, they just come to band practices, you hand them the sheets and they play?
Quote by jazz_rock_feel
See, that's how music should be. Run entirely by the bass player.

+1
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
You can easily overcomplicate a bass line, there's a thin line between a bass line being sufficiently interesting and a bass line being overdone.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
You can easily overcomplicate a bass line, there's a thin line between a bass line being sufficiently interesting and a bass line being overdone.

true dat. The key is to understand when a bassline needs to be spruced up, and how it has to be spruced up.
Quote by indie-bassist

Thats why it is hard to be a good bass player, not just someone who can play random and fast basslines..
PICTURE YOURSELF IN A BOAT ON A RIVER
WITH TANGERINE TREES AND MARMALADE SKIES...
Yeah, you could be the fastest or most technical bass player in the world, but if you have no control your lines will never be as good as they can be.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist

I think that's the best post in this thread.
i love complex basslines but at the same time sometimes holding a steady root is what the song needs. think of it this way sometimes your just adding more clutter to a song. bands want a mix that is pleaseing to the ears, it takes giving and taking
I shot JR

Oh Canada Our Home and Native Land
Quote by rooster456

Quote by Kid_Thorazine
–verb (used with object)

Now thats funny right there!!!! Shame its to long to Sig... max of 250 charaters
f your penis keeps dipping in the toilet water........just toss it over your right shoulder...
Last edited by bortbort at Jun 19, 2007,