What are the differences between gorilla glue and the Elmer's Ultimate Glue equivalent? I just glued up a neck laminate out of three pieces of hard maple with the elmers glue, and I was curious about the strength of it or problem I might see. Any thoughts?
I know that Gorilla Glue likes to foam up.. and it stains. So those are all I can think about, but wait around for one of the luthiers round these parts to help out.
Quote by red star
"If its good enough for gay cowboys, its god enough for you."

Quote by Dyaxe666
you guys are all idiots! SRV played a schecter C1 Blackjack thrugh a metalmaster into a Krankensteing, GOD!
As long as there's no foam in the joint you don't have to worry about anything.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
i've always used the elmer's without problems.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
original titebond works quite well too.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
Will I ever have any problems with this? I've heard that some peoples neck laminates sort of just come undone and "fray" apart. This glue I used does foam and is water activated, but I have in clamped down real tight in three spots, is that ok?
Gorilla glue expands a lot so watch out for that.
Gibson SG Standard
Fender 52 RI Telecaster
'77 Deluxe Reverb
Sunface w/ SunDial
MXR Carbon Copy
Crybaby

Quote by Sid McCall
Epic win. He speaks the truth, boys and girls.

Founder of the Neutral Milk Hotel club PM to join~
only three? i use a dozen clamps on a neckthru.
Quote by corduroyEW

I am Michael!
3 clamps is NOT enough pressure to glue a decent joint. Stop building and study the basics of woodworking man. Any joints that 'fray' or 'peel' apart are obviously not clamped and/or prepped correctly. If there is any foam in the joint, forget about using that neck. Foam provides ZERO structural strength. Why don't you just use aliphatic glues, which are easier to work with?

If you're worried about polyurethane glues not working, then you should be weighing out the advantages and disadvantages of glues. Titebond has been prove more than good enough for guitar building purposes. Do they sell that where you live? It might be best for you to have some peace in mind and just buy the Titebond. It will work fine, just like virtually ANY other glue out there for guitar building.
'Aim at perfection in everything, though in most things it is unattainable. However, they who aim at it, and persevere, will come much nearer to it than those whose despondency and laziness make them give it up as unattainable.'
Last edited by AlGeeEater at Jun 18, 2007,
no more nails if you are in the UK. Glues anything to, well... anything?

PSN ID: ArranP
How urgent is it that I put more clamps on, or is it too late. I glued it up around 4-5 hours ago, and I'm not close to my friends house who I'm building it at, nor is he. What can I do?
Quote by flashbandit
How urgent is it that I put more clamps on, or is it too late. I glued it up around 4-5 hours ago, and I'm not close to my friends house who I'm building it at, nor is he. What can I do?

It's too late now, but you might be able to salvage the pieces if you can remove reactivate the glue.
if the laminate looked absolutely straight, could I use it? IE, as long as there is no visible bowing in-between the clamps, would it work? I used really beast clamps, and the guy that suggested just 3 clamps has been wood working his whole life (but not instruments...)
I personally wouldn't use it, but it's worth a shot right? I don't know how long it will hold up though.