Hi there

I use a Encore Strat Copy, and an Epiphone SG.
I love the strat for the clean twang it gets, but I dont like the epiphone for the clean tone, sounds kinda muddy, so in clean tone, the Strat wins for me.
However, for distortion and overdrive, the Epiphone sounds better, because the Strat is kinda high, which I only want for clean tones.

Anyway, I've thought about getting a humbucker for my strat, but I was worried this may take away the clean tone. Will it? At the moment it has 3 single coils, and the SG is standard with 2 Humbucker pickups (I think). I also prefer to use the strat, because the music I play is quite simple and I'm not really into metal or anything, and I don't really like to use the SG because it's heavy compared to my strat, and I don't feel comfortable with it because it isn't balanced.

Anyway, should I buy a humbucker, or will that detract from the clean tone? I want the best of both really.
Or, if you did a little bit of searching, you could sell the encore to some dummy beginner, and add the money you get from that to how much you would have paid for the humbucker, and probably find something GGGGRREEAT. Now people will flame me saying you have to pay money for a good guitar. If I believed that, the best thing I've ever played (and I've played gibsons, fenders etc.) wouldn't be a Music Drive Revelation Les Paul copy.
So you dont have to pay much money for a good guitar. Unfortunately Encore actually DO suck.
Epiphone Dot-335
Fender USA Tele
'82 30th anniversary Les Paul goldtop
1965 pre-CBS Fender Jaguar

Crybaby
TS-9
turbo rat
Ge-7
+many more

Fender Twin Reverb
King's Full-tube 100 watt half stack. - £300
What he said upgrading crap guitars is a waste for me, wood and quality in encores are crap.
Peavey Valveking 112
PRS Tremonti SE
Yamaha CPX 700
OLP MM 2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Orange mini crush
Boss DS - 2
Boss CE - 5
Boss DD - 3
Yeah, Encore do suck. You dont have any idea how light my strat is, it's because its made out of a really crappy wood, my guitar teacher says its the same as the ones they use to make matchsticks.

But I keep it anyway because it's light, I can sing better with it than playing my SG.
I would like to sell both anyway, the SG just isnt for me. I need to find a way of stickin the strap on the horn so its easier or something.

But ANYWAY are you sure upgrading is a bad idea? Does the wood take that much away from the quality?

I'm not loaded, so I can't afford a fender and get the amp I wanted, so are there any fakemakes of a decent price? I know the dude off muse Mathew Bellamy uses a Yamaha, or are westfields any good for gigging? someone I know told me they were.

I wanted to upgrade because I cant afford getting the real deal, and I wasnt too sure if it was worth it anyway.
Matt Bellamy uses custom Manson guitars which cost like £5,000 yamaha would be a good upgrade if your looking for a strat. Yamaha Pacifica 112 would be a good upgrade they come with humbuckers stock - matt bellamy used one of these with dimarzio pickups when they were starting off.
Peavey Valveking 112
PRS Tremonti SE
Yamaha CPX 700
OLP MM 2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Orange mini crush
Boss DS - 2
Boss CE - 5
Boss DD - 3
Kurt Kobain used fender jaguars and mustangs and alot of muses is stuff is done with top end customised gear mainly fuzz you could try out a Big muff which might get the sound your looking for not to sure on that. Id recommend reading the reviews on this site they tend to provide good opinions.

What amp you have coz that will improve alot of your sound with a decent amp?
Peavey Valveking 112
PRS Tremonti SE
Yamaha CPX 700
OLP MM 2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Orange mini crush
Boss DS - 2
Boss CE - 5
Boss DD - 3
Nah, I haven't got a good amp yet, its a SKAK20RA, no idea what it is really, but it was just a practice Amp, and I've been saving up for either a Marshall or a Fender 100 watts (that's good for gigs, right?)

Anyway, a Mustang or Jaguar would be what I want, but Kurts Jaguar was heavily customised and he played a Strat too sometimes, so I think I'll settle with one of those.
Get a lovely tube amp i presume youll be looking at a marshall DFX or AVT they get flamed on these forums and are rarely recommend you could get a nice tube amp which is only around 30 watts but is louder and will sound a hell of a lot better!

A good amp would get the sound you want, if your looking for a cheap amp go for a smalelr Vox AD15vt or a DA5 for the grungy sound
Peavey Valveking 112
PRS Tremonti SE
Yamaha CPX 700
OLP MM 2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Orange mini crush
Boss DS - 2
Boss CE - 5
Boss DD - 3
So less watts doesnt nessasarily mean worse? I thought it did

Yeah, I was gonna start a topic about this too, do you know a good amp for around £200-£300?
Roland Cube 30/60 would be a good amp.
Quote by -BlackZeppelin-
Psh. I can can play fleshlight acoustically.

*masturbates*
Nope completely the opposite.
Watts mean jack all really, speaker size is an important factor in how loud it is.
Tube amp wattages are around twice the ammount of Solid State. So say 15 would be around 30-50. If you search theres actually an ultimate amp thread thats probably more helpful.
Fender Pro Juniors are nice amps not sure on prices and if you can stretch the marshall DSL Will suit your needs. My valveking i personally really like overdrives abit weak also Vox AD50VT are really nice amps and you could get one for £190 off ebay and its definately giggable. www.gak.co.uk is a good site as well as www.soundslive.co.uk
Peavey Valveking 112
PRS Tremonti SE
Yamaha CPX 700
OLP MM 2
Roland Cube 30 Bass
Orange mini crush
Boss DS - 2
Boss CE - 5
Boss DD - 3
Well, thanks, that's really really helpful.

So, these good for grunge and that then right?

One thing I was worried about, back on topic.

I suppose the best example for a tone I want would be drain you from Nirvana
Do Humbuckers remove Feedback? I don't wanna get rid of feedback, I like the wirr.
And does anyone know how to deliberatly get feedback, or even control it?

I'm a real noob when it comes to hardware, I've only been playing for about 2 years and electric even shorter
Last edited by Angry_Gorilla at Jun 19, 2007,
Id think to upgrade to humbuckers would cost more than the actual guitar lol, Try a vintage they good for the price.
My Gear

Fender Strat 2 Tone Custom Paint
Vintage VRS 100
Zoom 505 Mk II Effects Pedal
Peavey Rage 258 TransTube Amp
Orange Crush Mini Amp
Quote by Angry_Gorilla
I suppose the best example for a tone I want would be drain you from Nirvana
Do Humbuckers remove Feedback? I don't wanna get rid of feedback, I like the wirr.
And does anyone know how to deliberatly get feedback, or even control it?

no they dont; they remove the interference that singlecoils pick up. to get lots of feedback, use loads of distortion, fuzz, volume, turn the guitar's controls right up, and stand close to your amp. it's pretty difficult to control feedback; the easiest way to control the pitch is to use a trem, but it's not essential.