if you are writing a song, does it have to be in 1 set key? or are there keys that sound good when you switch?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
If you switch keys, the modulation police will show up at your door, pull you into an alley, and shoot you in the back of the head.

remember,

YOU HEARD IT HERE FIRST.
You don't have to stay in one key, but key changes don't happen very often. The most common change is to go either up or down a perfect fifth from what I understand.
a fifth?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
^ um actually, you forgot the part where you switch from a major key to it's relative minor or vice versa, i think i hear that more often the switching to a 5th (or 4th is acceptable too)
oh, so your reffering to the key that you are in, the 5th note is the one you would most likely be going to so say in the key of Am where it would go A B C D E F G you would most likely go to the E?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Quote by z4twenny
^ um actually, you forgot the part where you switch from a major key to it's relative minor or vice versa, i think i hear that more often the switching to a 5th (or 4th is acceptable too)

Well, I don't think that would be considered modulation because the relative major/minor contains the same notes and would have the same key signature. So I'm not really sure if that counts.
Parallel changes are also common EG C major -> C minor

Quote by rockguitar84
Well, I don't think that would be considered modulation because the relative major/minor contains the same notes and would have the same key signature. So I'm not really sure if that counts.

It counts because you've changed the tonal centre of the piece.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
^ ok, i know that, but just because it has the same notes doesn't make it the same key sig. a G major key will be emphasized and played differently and will sound differently than the key of E minor even though they both contain the same notes.
Quote by lua4x
if you are writing a song, does it have to be in 1 set key? or are there keys that sound good when you switch?

-if you are writing a song, does it have to be in 1 set key?
NO

-are there keys that sound good when you switch?

the keys that sound good to your ears

There are definatly common key changes as mentioned. I would suggest though using your ear to take the song where it feels right to you. fomulas are good for learning and understanding, but when you write, its an art, and you can take the song anywhere that suits your needs. Following a formula might get you something that works theoretically, but it might also deny you a chance to find that part that you really want.
shred is gaudy music
Sometimes it works well if you modulate between seemingly unrelated keys a la Giant Steps. Just let your ears judge what modulations create the wanted effect.
Founder of Jaco society

(to guitarmunky) yes and no, using your ears as the final judging device is good, yes, but a decent knowledge of theory will pretty much tell you how to get where you want to go. passing tones and 7 chords are great for key modulation of virtually any type.
Quote by sinan90
Sometimes it works well if you modulate between seemingly unrelated keys a la Giant Steps. Just let your ears judge what modulations create the wanted effect.

The keys follow a cycle of major thirds. While on their own they may appear random (G? B? Eb? what the hell is this guy smokin/injecting (lolcoltrane) and where can I get me some!) they are certainly linked.

The challenge is the ridiculous speed at which they shift (even though countdown is faster...).

Also I've heard tuning your guitar in major thirds and then using patterns makes it easier if you need a quick out when you can't play it. .
Quote by Nick_
The keys follow a cycle of major thirds. While on their own they may appear random (G? B? Eb? what the hell is this guy smokin/injecting (lolcoltrane) and where can I get me some!) they are certainly linked.

That's why I said "seemingly"
Founder of Jaco society

I realised that after I typed it and reread your post...but I clicked Post Quick Reply anyway just to feel smart about it.

also, np: Blue Train.