Ok, I was told I should ask this here since they're metal but associated with punk rockers The Misfits.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyone know where I can find stuff on this band? I know they never released their CD, but they put out a special CD package through the Misfits fanclub. But I'm interested in finding their stuff. (CDs, Merch, ect.)
I'd check the re-vamped Fiend Club, since Jerry Only and Doyle own that now, I believe.

BTW, I've heard the stuff and it's pretty bad metal ala Yngwie Malmsteen (who they wanted to sing for them).
So bad, it almost makes Samhain look good.

What's really funny to me is that they said something along the lines of wanting Kryst The Conqueror to be doing some kind of "spiritual battle" against Danzig and his "evil" and/or keeping kids away from Glenn's cheesy satanism.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

You forgot ugly, lazy and disrespectful.
Quote by johnnynemo
I'd check the re-vamped Fiend Club, since Jerry Only and Doyle own that now, I believe.

BTW, I've heard the stuff and it's pretty bad metal ala Yngwie Malmsteen (who they wanted to sing for them).

What's really funny to me is that they said something along the lines of wanting Kryst The Conqueror to be doing some kind of "spiritual battle" against Danzig and his "evil" and/or keeping kids away from Glenn's cheesy satanism.

Yeah, I beleive that lead up to the lawsuit in '95.

And I've checked the Fiend Club, but they dont have anything.

And does anyone know when the new site is coming back online?
Quote by johnnynemo

Yeah when i was clicking onto the punk forum from the main forum page this was the most recent post in the bands and artists forum, and i expected it to be in the metal forum just from the band name, and was surprised to find it in here.
I actually did post it in the metal forum. But since they were associated with the Misfits, I was told I would be better off here.
Quote by johnnynemo
So bad, it almost makes Samhain look good. .

Samhain was great

But Kryst The Conqueror sucked, alot. I dont know where to get thier stuff since they never put a cd out, but maybe try through the fiend club like everyone else said , or try writing to jerry or Doyle directly.

I've always thought the band itself was lame, even before i heard any of the music. Their whole purpouse was to try and get kids away form listening to Samhain and going into Glenn's direction, bu writting songs about the good of jesus and some made up barbaric ego charcater that would defeat all of Glenn's "bad messages" in music, haha hence "kryst the conqueror".

Don't even bother trying to get into them, theyre not worth anything.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
Quote by LastCaress88
Samhain was great

But Kryst The Conqueror sucked, alot. I dont know where to get thier stuff since they never put a cd out, but maybe try through the fiend club like everyone else said , or try writing to jerry or Doyle directly.

I've always thought the band itself was lame, even before i heard any of the music. Their whole purpouse was to try and get kids away form listening to Samhain and going into Glenn's direction, bu writting songs about the good of jesus and some made up barbaric ego charcater that would defeat all of Glenn's "bad messages" in music, haha hence "kryst the conqueror".

Don't even bother trying to get into them, theyre not worth anything.

Mkay, I just wanted it because I have a collection of Misfits/Samhain/Danzig stuff. And even if it sucked I still atleast want it.
Quote by LastCaress88
Samhain was great

I saw Samhain live.
It was one of the most boring shows I've ever been to, barring the Casualties.

Samhain just had no energy, compared to the Misfits.
The music was just too slow and I don't like 6 minute songs.

To be honest, I always thought that Glenn's lyrics were dumb, barring "Attitude" and "Who Killed Marilyn" (which I loved.)

Samhain was Glenn doing lounge-y music ("Unholy Passion") and grunge, before there was a word for it and it bummed alot of people out.

Everyone that I was at the Samhain show with got rid of their Misfits stuff after that.
Quote by sargasm
I don't like straight edge because it's part of Hardcore, and I don't like Hardcore because, aside from the terrible music, the kids are often very homophobic.

To each his own.

I definitly agree with you about the music getting slower and some of the songs getting longer. Except for maybe Initium, that album could've been by The Misfits.

But Samhain is an aqcuired taste, alot of people i know don't like them. Even some of the people who really like the Misfits. I guess you just have to really be into what Glenn does. Lyrics too, Samhain really showed Glenn's interest in the occult and more religious topics. You just really have to be interested in what they were about to like them.

About the live shows though, I disagree. You could say they werent all over the place live like the Misfits, but I think Samhain definitly still brought a ton of energy to the shows.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,
Samhain was Glenn moving away from punk and into metal, where he stayed for along time.
Many punk bands were doing this, but most of them, like Exploited, GBH, DRI, English Dogs, etc. were generally going faster, whereas Glenn slowed down.

He was, at least, smart enough to keep a bit of the Misfits sound alive in his songs.
Besides retooling "Halloween", the songs "All Murder, All Guts, All Fun", "He-Who-Can-Not-Be-Named" and "Kiss Of Steel" had that Misfits feel to them.

It was just too few and far between for those of us who were actual members of the Fiend's Club and had 10 inch long "devil locks".
Quote by sargasm

Jesus Christ. Everytime I write a post it freezes. So I try again...

I gree totally with the whole Samhain was Glenn's movement towards metal, and I also agree it still had that Misfits feel. He didnt move away from horrorpunk until he got into Danzig, which at the same time was the leftovers of Samhain.

Thus we enter the battle between Jerry and Danzig. Doyle got caught up in the middle, eventually leading to him being out of the eye of the public. Thats when Doyle met Graves and Dr. Chud, and afterwards, when the lawsuit was settled, Doyle came back with the new Misfits.

Last night I went and checked out Misfits/Samhain/Danzig/Kyrst collector sites, and I stumbled upon something. The Misfits had a 1995 demo with Graves on vocals which features early versions of American Psycho, Scream, and Saturday Night. I went to a friend who has demonoid, and we found the demo, and it's insane. Graves' voice is totally better on the American Psycho demo than the album, and Scream isn't anywhere near the album version.

But I'm trying to find the lost Danzig demo tape from '87. He's mentioned it in some interviews, mainly one in '95, which detailed early versions of Mother, Twist of Cain (not the Samhain version) and Five Finger Crawl. There's only about 500 out there.

My hunt continues...
If you want the original "Twist of Cain", check out the Dictators song "Minnesota Strip", where Glenn stole the riff from.

A guy I know auditioned to be lead singer for the reformed Misfits.
He could sing just like Glenn, and they really wanted him, but he was a junkie.

They guys said "No way. Not after having to deal with Bobby Steele and all his junkie BS."

BTW, did you ever hear the story about when Glenn and Metallica had their falling out?
As you know, Metallica has covered a number of Misfits songs and Glenn nicknamed them Alcoholica.

So, they started hanging out and Hetfield was asking Glenn to get the Misfits back together and tour with them.
Glenn was having none of that, but Hetfield keep bugging him, even offering to pay him $10,000 a show.

Finally Hetfield got frustrated and left and was walking down the street.
He started talking a lof of smack about Glenn callling him a "Wolverine wanna-be weenie midget a$$hole" and such.

He didn't realize that Glenn was walking right behind him and heard it all, until Glenn jumped on his back and beat the sh*t out him.
Quote by sargasm

Quote by johnnynemo
I saw Samhain live.
It was one of the most boring shows I've ever been to, barring the Casualties.

Samhain just had no energy, compared to the Misfits.
The music was just too slow and I don't like 6 minute songs.

To be honest, I always thought that Glenn's lyrics were dumb, barring "Attitude" and "Who Killed Marilyn" (which I loved.)

Samhain was Glenn doing lounge-y music ("Unholy Passion") and grunge, before there was a word for it and it bummed alot of people out.

Everyone that I was at the Samhain show with got rid of their Misfits stuff after that.

I'm impressed you even bothered going to see The Casualties. Impressed in that you gave them a chance.
dont click that link. its bad.

Yeah i heard about Hetfields and Glenn's falling out. I had a friend who was a tech with Metallica from 80 - 86. He was Hammet's guitar tech, and he got a call from Hetfield, who told him what happened, and had him pick him up because my friend lived a few blocks away.
Quote by Skiracer110
What is it? The link.

It was a bad link to an obscene site. Luckily it was removed.
Creator and member # 1 of the "UREH UREH" Club. PM me to join.
Quote by johnnynemo
Samhain was Glenn moving away from punk and into metal, where he stayed for along time.
Many punk bands were doing this, but most of them, like Exploited, GBH, DRI, English Dogs, etc. were generally going faster, whereas Glenn slowed down.

He was, at least, smart enough to keep a bit of the Misfits sound alive in his songs.
Besides retooling "Halloween", the songs "All Murder, All Guts, All Fun", "He-Who-Can-Not-Be-Named" and "Kiss Of Steel" had that Misfits feel to them.

It was just too few and far between for those of us who were actual members of the Fiend's Club and had 10 inch long "devil locks".

Yeah, Samhain was definitly about Glenn evolving into more of what he is now. Thats why he chose the name Samhain for the band, Samhain is the season of the dead, and the new band represented the death of the Misfits.

Samhain is a big part in what drove the Misfits to their break-up. Glenn started Samhain while the Misfits were still active. And After the Earth AD album, everyone in the band just quit, that album just drove them over the edge of the cliff. I dont know about what they say now, but for the next couple of years after Earth AD came out, every member in the band disliked it. Glenn and Jerry were the most vocals ones about expressing how they didnt like the album, but noone in the band was really satisfied with it. Glenn has stated that he hated the way the songs were played on that album,he thought they were played way too fast. That kinda shows that Glenn wasnt ever completely into being the Earth AD era hardcore punk band that the Misfits had become. I think if Earth AD had gone the way Glenn wanted it too, It would sound alot more like Samhain's Initium album, with the songs being slowed down and becoming alot more experimental, other than just really fast powerchords for all the songs.What i'm saying is If the Misfits didnt break up when they did, then they would sound like Samhain.

I love your arguments on here nemo. You're one of the few people here who, even when theyre talking negatively about a band, have a ton of reasons to back it up and make it worth responding back to.
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know,