OK, here's the deal: I bought a '97 Mexican Strat off of eBay last October, knowing absolutely nothing about guitars. Now, I know a little bit more and I am beginning to wonder if the strat is perhaps an authentic Fender after all.

Now, there is no doubt: The neck is authentic, from a Mexican strat from 1997. However, there are a few small things that make me doubt the body's authenticity.

The main questionable factors are the fact that TWO back plates that I have received since then, for Stratocasters, do not align with the screw holes on the back of mine. I could not also help but notice as well that the neck plate is missing the Fender logo.

Do I have anything to worry about? Sorry if this is stupid paranoia haha but, coming from eBay, and the bolt-on nature of the neck, I cannot help but wonder.

Thanks in advanced.

---Dan
mexican strats dont have the fender logo on the neck plate.

with the back plates, where did you get them from? and have you tried flipping them over and putting the screws in the other side?
Last edited by blue_strat at Jun 18, 2007,
OK, that part's a relief but how about the back plate? Is there some reason why the plate I came across wouldn't fit onto the back of mine?
Some back plates have the two middle screws straight above each other, while some are offset... Is that your problem? Or doe sit just not fit?
OK, I talked to customer service for Fender, apparently Mexican strats have a different plate screw pattern...Does anybody know where I can get a Mexican back plate? haha
Quote by dankatz316
OK, I talked to customer service for Fender, apparently Mexican strats have a different plate screw pattern...Does anybody know where I can get a Mexican back plate? haha

in mexico? (sorry for the spam i just felt like saying that)
Gear
-Ibanez RG321 ( /w D-Sonic)
-Agile AL-3100 (/w Custom + '59)
-Yamaha FG730S
-Crybaby 535Q
-Keeley TS-9
-ISP Decimator
-B-52 AT-212
Quote by Mental-lica
My hats off to you mr. lanzaa and you can put this in your sig

M en
E jaculating
T o
A wful
L yrics
yeah when i got my mexican strat the black plate didnt align with the holes either. thats why i just keep it off now
post a pic
89' fender strat
gibson sg specail with grover tuners
standard tele
ibenez gio bass
takamine eg334sc
72'martin d-15
skbps-45 board, lots of pedals
peavey tripple xxx head w/ marshall cab