I have NO knowledge about this...

The only thing I "think" knowing is that A=440 Hz (no idea what that means though) and that an octave rings twice more than the root... (no idea twice what... faster?? louder?? what??)

Anyone wanna teach me the basics or give me a few sites I could read to learn it?? It seems to be helpful and interesting aswell
Note: Sorry if my grammar and/or vocabulary isn't very good, English is my 2nd language!

Quote by Resiliance
you show me yours and I'll show you mine!

If you're wondering where I've been gone, click here!
Believe me, it ain't interesting. Especially when it's in the form of a physics test. ><
^ well for starters you're right

A = 440 hz

the A one octave above that rings at 880 hz, while the A an octave below that rings at 220 hz. good for starters? any other questions?
A = 440Hz today, however it had different values in the past so Beethoven's works aren't actually played in the same tuning as they originally were. I think they set that figure some time during the 1800s but I'm not too sure on that.

When the number is doubled it just means the frequency is doubled so there are twice as many waves passing a point in a second.

EDIT: This might help http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equal_temperament
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.
Last edited by sinan90 at Jun 18, 2007,
^ correct, producing the octave effect. i did a study on the math of music about 8 years ago because it interested me. i wish i still had all the notes i took. i broke down everything into numbers and sine waves.
well 440hz, means 440 Hertz,

basically it means there is 440 oscillations (or vibrations) of the soundwave in one second

theres a few things i can explain if you want, like the basics on how sound is formed in an air column, or on a string with the different harmonics as well...

im by no means an expert on the subject but ive just spent part of the last year learning this for my physics AS level, so i atleast have an understanding of it
i might do one later on this week, because its late now and im pretty busy the next couple of days.

thats if someone with more experience doesnt explain everything before then...