I was reading in Asmodai's BTOM thread that he uses gold strings on his Streamer. I asked this question in that thread, but was largely ignored, so I figured I'd start a new thread to attract some attention.

What are the advantages of gold strings? What do they sound like compared to nickel or steel? What are the disadvantages (besides cost)?
i'd imagine they'd give a bright sound but i'd also imagine they rust very easily
Gear:
Washburn RB2500 (5 String)
Yamaha BB400 Fretless (1981)
Carlo Giordano 3/4 Upright (White)
Cort Action 4 (Stereo-fied)
Orange Bass Terror 500
Orange 1x15 Cab
Boss GT-6 Bass Multi-effects
rustiness easily, price lol, warmer sound, not funky.
-Girl Bassist & Drummer-
Music: Thrash metal, punk, ska, Grunge, old rock, Techno
Pref Bands: Anthrax early Nirvana RHCP Led Zep Fallz Pantera Black Sabbath Operation Ivy Reel Big Fish Misfits Ramones Mudhoney Arctic Monkeys Muse 2 many 2 name
If they're actually made from real gold, they'd basically never rust at all. They'd be softer, too, most likely making the tone softer.
"If they're actually made from real gold, they'd basically never rust at all. They'd be softer, too, most likely making the tone softer." thank you, it would make yolur guitar/bass heavier, you wouldnt be able to tune it well, its too ductile, they would bend and stay in odd positions, bad idea
my only bass

samick lb-11
silvertone amp
Quote by Wikipedia
Aluminum is the most common for bowed instruments like violin and viola, while guitar and piano strings are usually wound with bronze. Copper, nickel, gold, silver, and tungsten are also used. Silver and gold are more expensive, and are used for their resistance to corrosion and hypoallergenicity.

I've never tried any personally so I don't know if they have any other benefits.
Quote by DaveMustaine08
Quote by puppetmaster917
I think white people are better than black people.
While this statement is kinda racist and straightforward, it does have many FACTS to back it up lolz.

Quote by jazz_rock_feel
I can only assume, maybe I'm wrong, that they are gold plated strings and not actually made of solid gold. Gold wouldn't be a very practical string at all for above reasons; ductile, expensive etc.

+1
Ive seen john entwistle use gold strings on his buzzard

Member of the Morley PWB Owners Club.
those are: maxima gold handmade strings... same as john entwistle used for some time... they sound freakin amazing dude... if you can find them and afford them!
You can get them made by optima too, they will set you back about £33. And people saying they rust, they will not, gold is one of the most unreactive metals so will resist any corrosion.

And jrf, they are gold plated steel
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Quote by indie-bassist
And jrf, they are gold plated steel

SO they will most probably sound like stell strings, but a bit softer due to the gold coating.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1
You do realise he is using distortion? That's not the strings. I would imagine they would still have the brightness of steel strings but last much longer.
Quote by Bumper
Looks like you had a big bowl of Downs Syndrome for breakfast.

Member of the Bass Militia, PM Nutter_101 to join

Lover of Ashdown? Join the Ashdown Army!
Plus I believe it is a warwick, so it is going to have a growl no matter what.
Warwick freak of the Bass Militia. PM Nutter_101 to join

Quote by elliott FTW
Damn you and Warwickyness

Quote by ScottB
Quote by CLIFF_BURTON
gm jack knows everything
+1