im stumped when in comes to keys, if there are only 7 notes to a key.. how is it possible to have a song with more than 7 different notes (including octaves)?!?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Do you mean notes that aren't in the scale? Those are accidentals... you sharp or flat them so that they aren't in the key signature. That is how people can write something in a certain key, but still get all the notes that they want.

Example: I'm writing a song in the they Key of C Major (no sharps or flats) and think that an F# would really sound good in this one place. Therefore, I just sharp the F in that measure, and everywhere else it stays natural.
Dem Dry Bones
Current read: I Am America (And You Can Too) (Stephen Colbert)
Album of the Week: Four Thieves Gone (The Avett Brothers)
If you're asking then I think you have the wrong idea. When you can play 7 notes in a scale it means you can play all of the positions of those 7 notes.
Like in the Aminor scale, all the A notes on the fretboard, all the B's, all the C's,, D's, E's, F's G's.
Originally posted by WlCmToTheJungle "you have just received the amish computer virus. Since the amish dont have computers it's based on there honor system so please delete all of your files immediatly. thank you
like you had 9 different notes in a song, how would you put that into a scale? because you can only have 8 notes in a scale
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
Last edited by lua4x at Jun 18, 2007,
are you talking about stuff like 11ths, 13ths etc...?
DANNY

Quote by kevinm4435 to some guy
hey d00d i herd u dont like shred u r a genius 4 thinkin dat. all shred is fukin lame wit no soul u no wat im sayin??
no, i just wrote a riff and these were the notes, G D A D# C A# F E they are in Gminor but there are 8 notes how would i put something like that into a key?
EQUIPMENT.
Peavey 5150
Fender Showmaster QBT
Digitech Digidelay
whatever it relates to more. You can have other notes outside a key too, i dont recall the name off the top of my head, but its allowed. Pretty much you can do anything and theory has a name for it and a reason to do it.

If you want to jam in/around Mooresville NC message me.
You have G A Bb C D Eb E F

so what you got is minor but you have both a 13 and a b13.

soooo ... watch what happens when you play it descending (you get the same effect ascending but I like this sound better going down) - observe which notes fall on the beat.

G F E Eb D C Bb A G

see how the strong beats outline a _min6 chord? this is the way bebop scales work; this is the second mode of the F bebop scale.

have fun!
As others have said/implied, there's no reason you can't break rules about scales. Find one reasonably well-written rock and roll song that has notes only in one key... it'd be hard.

Accidentals are awesome, don't worry when they show up.
Looking for my India/Django.
Quote by lua4x
like you had 9 different notes in a song, how would you put that into a scale? because you can only have 8 notes in a scale

no...you can have 12
it's the chromatic scale