im pretty sure you raise the action on a les paul with the 2 fat screws on the sides of the bridge right?? well mine are real tight and im afraid to really put muscle into it should they be not so tight or what?
you use the thumbscrews on each side of the bridge to adjust the action. make sure not to confuse these with the screws on the tailpiece. i usually use pliers when i adjust my action
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
Fender MIM strat with dimarzio pups
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
ok nm i know which are which now duh lol but still the screws are reeeall tight, should i loosen the strings or something?
most les paul bridges consists of two pieces: a tune-o-matic bridge piece (the one closest to the pickups) and the stop bar tailpiece (the first part that you thread the strings through when re-stringing). you want to use your thumb and index finger, or pliers, etc, to turn the screws on each side of the tune-o-matic. the part that you turn is between the bridge piece and the top of the body
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
i didnt have to loosen anything on mine the first time, but they were pretty tight. they loosen up after you turn them for a while. but if they are really really tight on yours, to the point where you cant turn them even with pliers, then maybe have someone check it out

EDIT: maybe the screws are rusted or part of the bridge is bent/warped?
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Last edited by phobiafreak949 at Jun 18, 2007,
If they are too tight, yeah loosening the strings should help. It's what I did on my SG.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
i got the bridge screws to loosen and now the bridge is pretty high off of the guitar and im still getting just a twang when i hit the 6th string on the higher frets. whats going on?
I always used a screwdriver, works fine, to hell with using your fingers.
Livin' Easy, Livin' Free
maybe some of the frets are too high? have your guitar checked out by a tech if this is the case, they can fix it
Gear:
Gibson Les Paul Studio
JCM800
Egnater Rebel 30
Takamine Acoustic
tons of pedals
Quote by AngusX
I always used a screwdriver, works fine, to hell with using your fingers.

Unless the bridge doesn't have the screws and just the thumbwheels.
Huzzah! It is I, S0ulja, the Duke Of Swiss, 3rd member of the Royal order of cheese!

PM Soulfly_freak or sock_demon to join
hey is it a problem if up on the headstock my third string is pressing against my 2nd string's tuning post??