Page 1 of 2
The Ramones have been one of my favorite bands for a while.
I've been trying to get that guitar playing style down and be able to play with all downstrokes as fast as Johnny does on the live shows.

but I can't do it.
are there any exercises or just some kind of practicing technique that I can use to build up the speed of my right arm?

thanks
buy a metronome
Quote by yawn
Don't tell anyone, but I like to murder Smurfs.

Quote by XibanezedgeX

"Grumpy ****ed a penguin! Grumpy ****ed a penguin! Grumpy ****ed a penguin!"....

Randomness makes me happy.
use upstrokes, or masturbate alot...sounds dumb but it'll probably help
Gear:
Jackson DKMG Dinky (EMG 81/85)
Ibanez GIO (i put a Dimbucker in the bridge)
Crate GT65 (65 watts) to be upgraded soon, suggestions welcome (must be tubed)
Floor Pod (for sale)
Prepare for a probable flood of masturbation jokes.

Edit: ^One so far.
Make sure you keep your wrist relaxed when you play their songs, don't tense it. Just start average tempo and slowly you'll get faster.
They aren't that fast man, just work at it. It wont take long.
Cort G290 EMG 89/SA/SA
Cort MR 780FX

#19 Member of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Group. PM Narmi.

Founder of the "Cort Domination Group"
Quote by SamxNHO
i had trouble playing with the song master of puppets because of speed but just keep practicing it thats what i did and i can play it good now

is master of puppets a B side to Judy is a Punk or something?
yeah i'm having the same probly cause i use big open up and down strokes when i play stuff like tht, its murder oon my hand trying to do downstrokes, but just practice, man.
Quote by indestructible8
is master of puppets a B side to Judy is a Punk or something?

He's relating it to Ramones songs cause the beginning is downstrokes.
Quote by Metallica12_12
They aren't that fast man, just work at it. It wont take long.

You obviously havent heard certain ramones live shows. On loco live, they cut the time it takes to play havanna affair almost in half they do it so fast.

I dont see why its neccessary to do all downstrokes. I mean it was johnnys thing, good for him or whatever i guess, but its not that much different to use upstrokes too.
It's really hard for me to keep up with the Ramones live. I play way faster than them on record usually, but live...****...they pwnt.
Hmm still you really dont have to down pick for their rhythms and i don't find it that hard to keep up with them...
Cort G290 EMG 89/SA/SA
Cort MR 780FX

#19 Member of The Black Tooth Grin: Dimebag Memorial Group. PM Narmi.

Founder of the "Cort Domination Group"
practise is all u can do...wat I do is play like hours at a time, and for awhile it'll hurt like a B**CH, but after awhile, ur hand will adapt and stuff, and u'll get it eventualy, hell Johnny didn't get as good as he is by not practicing, and if u want it bad enough, u for sure WILL get it, its all a matter of how much u want

Rock on!
My guitars:

Ibanez RG5EX1
Eleca Dread Acoustic
Dean ML

My FX: Line 6 Floor POD Plus

In the end, fact means nothing,
its all about perspective
Personally, when I first got into the Ramones, it wasn't the picking hand I had trouble with

Then again every 10 strokes or so, I'd do an up-pick, so I was a miserable failure.

Like Marky Ramone says in end of the century, it's just practice, to keep the downstrokes going.

My advice is to stay up all night playing along to the entire ramones back catalogue, and guess the chords on the spot, it's good practice, and you'll soon be able to play the songs perfectly, without even knowing how to play them. Accompianing this, with Speed a la Sid Vicious, is optional, but not recommended.

And to the kid who said about jacking off, when I was a kid I didn't know that you were supposed to use your hand to do it, which is why to this day, my wrists are extremely weak. It's also why I lose to girls in arm wrestling
Quote by BrianApocalypse
And to the kid who said about jacking off, when I was a kid I didn't know that you were supposed to use your hand to do it, which is why to this day, my wrists are extremely weak. It's also why I lose to girls in arm wrestling

How did you do it then?????
Edwards Les Paul Custom
Burny SG Junior
DIY Telecaster
Keeley RAT 2
Marshall JCM 800 4104
did dee dee do all downstrokes on bass?
And clenching your fist for the ones like us
Who are oppressed by the figures of beauty,
You fixed yourself, you said, "Well, never mind,
We are ugly, but we have the music."
Just practice. I recommend playing Ramones (the album) beginning to end in one sitting. You may not be able to do it the first time. You could try slowing it down by about 10% in Windows Media Player until you can get full speed. I can only play it at 105% of the normal speed, and just barely. It's also great practice for barre chord speed.

And I would also like to know the answer to Ska Wars's question.
Last edited by werty22 at Jun 19, 2007,
Quote by Ska Wars
did dee dee do all downstrokes on bass?

I think he did. At least it looked like he did whenever i saw them
Was it polemically sent,
I Wanna know what you meant
I Wanna know,
I Wanna know what you meant
just play with upstrokes too...there is no point to just downstrokes....i mean, it is a challenge i suppose, but still pointless...
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Quote by mike2
just play with upstrokes too...there is no point to just downstrokes....i mean, it is a challenge i suppose, but still pointless...

It sounds different.
Quote by mike2

It sounds different, and better in my opinion. Also, if I learn to play that fast with all downstrokes, i assume that it will make me faster all-around. Plus it's just a good skill to learn, I think.
Quote by LastCaress88
I think he did. At least it looked like he did whenever i saw them

yeah i think the same. Even though when i did play bass with a pick (i play with my fingers now) i always used upstrokes, even now when i play Ramones songs i upstroke, to me doing all downstrokes on bass would be sorta hard.

I've been trying to play "Judy is a Punk" all downstrokes, but by the time I get to the first chorus I have to either start down-up strumming or slow down dramatically because my forearm gets so tired.
Quote by Skiracer110
You obviously havent heard certain ramones live shows. On loco live, they cut the time it takes to play havanna affair almost in half they do it so fast.

I remember I heard that version first, and I was so disappointed when I heard the studio version. It's so much faster it sounds like a completely different song.
Quote by neidnarb11890
I've been trying to play "Judy is a Punk" all downstrokes, but by the time I get to the first chorus I have to either start down-up strumming or slow down dramatically because my forearm gets so tired.

I can barely do it, and I'm very proud of myself.
brnh.bandcamp.com
Quote by neidnarb11890

Wait 'til you get to Chainsaw. They're about the same speed, but it's a lot longer.
If you play along to ramones records non stop chronologically, by the time you hit "I can't give you anything", you wish you were dead.

And on average, 3 of 4 of Dee Dee's picks were downstrokes.

And I fellate myself
I did it guys! I got through "Judy is a Punk" all downstrokes without slowing down! I was playing it a bit faster than the studio version too.
Doing it with all downstrokes is pointless.

its just going to get your hand used to it, then you'll never be able to alternate pick.
"This shit here's called Death"
"What the fuck? You mean I'm gonna hit this shit and die?"
"No Nigga! I said Deaf. You hit this and you aint gonna hear shit!"
Quote by BrianApocalypse

And on average, 3 of 4 of Dee Dee's picks were downstrokes.

Where the hell did you pull that stat from?
^ 87% of statistics are made up on the spot

Because I've watched many videos of dee dee playing bass, and he tends to play an upstroke ever so often.
Quote by BrianApocalypse
^ 87% of statistics are made up on the spot

Because I've watched many videos of dee dee playing bass, and he tends to play an upstroke ever so often.

I havent watched any ramones vids lately, but this is correct if i do recall. But i suppose on bass it matters even less, since hes only hitting one string anyway, its not like the notes in a chord are gonna ring out in a different way.
Quote by JohnnyNapalm
Doing it with all downstrokes is pointless.

its just going to get your hand used to it, then you'll never be able to alternate pick.

First of all, if you're playing chords, you're strumming, not picking. Second of all, just because someone plays songs by The Ramones with all downstrokes doesn't mean that he or she never uses downstrokes.
They're trying to do it all downstrokes because that's how the Ramones did it. This isn't that complicated.
Amen brudda.

I think that if you want to emulate a bad, you should do it well.

If you want to be original, you should just emulate a good band because it's a waste of time trying to make a new sound.
it's not that this is complicated it is rather that it is pointless....especially when you are emulating someone that was so ****ty at guitar that this was the only way he could play. even with the strings ringing in a different way or pattern, it still sounds mostly the same, it is not that different. i understand that if you should emulate a band, you should do it the right way, but using all downstrokes isn't going to destroy a ramones song, billie joe armstrong or ****ing rob zombie will do that....anyone else hear that blitzkrieg bop cover rob did? awful....
Quote by BrianApocalypse
Rancid are the best punk band ever.

Tim Armstrong is a songwriting genius, is a complete fashion diva and has an incredible singing voice.

He doesn't sound like Opie from family guy at all.
Page 1 of 2