Honestly I mean I know there are some that will fade out the endings just to not make two songs back to back sound completely different but look at The Beatles LOVE. The mixing and transitions can be considered legendary and in some cases add greatness to already great songs.
~~~Founder of the Hendrix Club~~~
PM me to join
Member #2 of the Cream club
i don't hate them, i think they are basically doing the same thing as when somebody downloads all their favourite songs and burns them onto a CD, this just makes the artist money
Now officially has too much gear to list

PM me if you want to know about my recording setup
I think albums are better listened to as a whole, whish is also why I dislike mp3's, but thats a whole different tangent.
The idea that media is there to educate us, or to inform us, is ridiculous because that's about tenth or eleventh on their list...
- Abbie Hoffman R.I.P
as for greatest hits albums - in most of classic rock, the artists released music in albums. to take one or two songs from this album and one or two songs from that album, etc. etc. and mix it all together will take away from the songs and the albums. also ther is much more to a band than their "greatest hits." in fact, most of the songs i listen to regularly would not be found on greatest hits albums.

but thats not to say that a greatest hits album is a good way to get introduced to a band. in fact, i think its the best way to do so. so long as you mature past the greatest hits and into the albums.

as for LOVE - i havent heard it. but from what ive heard from other people, they think its sacrilige.
Well I usually don't listen to them. But for some artists I generally would listen to greatest hits. For example Bob Dylan, and Neil Young, both these artists have too much "filler" on every single album that it just isn't as enjoyable as a greatest gits album. Although I like to make my own, cause they tend to skip out on songs I enjoy.
If the doors of perception were cleansed everything would appear to man as it is - Infinite.

http://thetravellingtrip.dmusic.com
^^ some sort of strange new slimey brew, its a psychedelic mess.
Check it out
Greatest Hits albums suck.

Worst Hits albums are where it's at.
Quote by yawn

the worst of jefferson airplane lol
Quote by yawn

i don't hate em, i just don't really appreciate them because they're actually more like "most commercially successful hits of [band name]"
you can discover the true greatness of a band with songs that didn't make it to singles

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
Beatles LOVE is not a greatest hits album, it's a remix album. Totally different.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
Quote by AICriff008
I think albums are better listened to as a whole, whish is also why I dislike mp3's, but thats a whole different tangent.

+9
I <3 bangoodcharlotte

Quote by humperdunk
one time i let my cat has cheezburger. i thought it was pretty funny.
Quote by yawn

+8-9 so were at 0 again

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Quote by hendriko
+8-9 so were at 0 again

Which brings us back to 1, if I'm not mistaken.
^we have +9 and -8 so if we add 8 and subtract 9 we get 0?

i dunno...math is like school stuff, and im out for quite a while

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

The "-1" applied to your entire "+8-9" statement in regards to the earlier "+9-8"

Let's not worry about this anymore...
when i buy greatest hits though i never seem to bother buying the other albums and that kinda ruins it for me!! like joe walsh got his from 1969-1974 and ive still not got all his other stuff and its pissing me off(i'm skint and no decent music stores wer i live), i dnt like them they just play the most famous songs and not really the best!
greatest hits helps me like band....like i didnt know which pantera cd to buy at first so i bought the greatest hits....pantera fan from then on \m/
Because they are someones opinion of good not necessarily good. Plus it fails to show all of their work from a album just because they sent in something more likely to be accepted in the mainstream. They are ok if you are trying to get into a certain artist or if they have a unreleased song on them. that is the only reason I bought "Syd Barrett's Greatest hits".
Quote by Fallon, Jones & Sage Francis

"By the way my name is Marcus. But if you like you can call me Sensei."

American Idol - or as I call it, the Gong Show Rip-Off

According to #Yeezuz, Kanye West is a god. As if I needed more reasons to be an atheist.
Quote by yawn
The "-1" applied to your entire "+8-9" statement in regards to the earlier "+9-8"

Let's not worry about this anymore...

alright

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

I didn't like the Beatles "1" album thing, because all of their #1 hits are my least favorite Beatles songs.
They always miss out some of the best songs, and sometimes ignore really underrated albums by the band as well.
hoimhi0et0hm03oi
greatest hits also usually contain the songs that are always on the radio and are the most poppy, so there's really no reason to get them.
I guess theyre alright if you are just getting into that band, but its just not the full experience.
the fact that the songs were hits doesn't make them the band's best work.
Follow me on instagram @createdaily
People (including myself) dont like them because they are just grouped together by sales without the artist meaning for it to be that way
I don't mind greatest hits albums. If it weren't for Jimi Hendrix: His Greatest Hits, I would be listening to Fall Out Boy with all of my friends while talking about how innovative and original My Chemical Romance's new album is. Instead, I recently found myself listening to Santana's Abraxis album while talking with my friend's father about how innovative and original Roy Buchanan was.
Quote by Jearl
the blues dont care where youre from. theyll find you no matter what.

Bodhisattva of Zeppelinism

PM TheHeartbreaker to join.
I don't hate them but they present the music out of context and also, whenever I buy a bands greatest hits, I rarely ever buy any of their other albums because I convince myself that it would be a waste of $ because I've already got their "best" songs. I've surely missed out on a lot of great music because of this.
I'm a rockstar without the skills, fame, or income.

Washington Redskins
meh...its just that they aren't the way the artist originally intended the music to present itself. albums have a way of flowing, and greatest hits don't. i would just rather buy entire albums.

and i also disagree with just buying one song (off itunes, for example). thats not to say i *never* do it, i do it like once a month or something. but generally i buy CDs.
98% of teens have been around or have had alcohol. Put this in your sig if you like bagels.

member number five of the Omar Alfredo Rodriguez-Lopez fan club

creator/owner of the yankees fans group
I only get them when I already know the songs and I look at the songs that are on it to know if they're good. The only two I have are a two disc Doors set (which has like 40 tracks, so they have most of the good songs) and Primus's recent one (which does miss a lot of good ones, but definitely has the best on there). People don't like them because you don't get the same experience that you get from listening to the album as a whole... The whole tone and feeling and meaning could be lost when you mix tracks together.
I dislike them, even for 'getting into' a band. This is because if I've heard a greatest hits album, it gives me a preconception in my mind that when I buy the albums, the songs from the greatest hits are the best ones to listen to, which can sometimes be hard to get rid of.

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
The Beatles 1 was one of the 1st Beatles albums I got and that got me hooked on them. I dont buy best of albums anymore and most of my favorite songs wouldn't be on a best of. When im curious about a band ill download a song or 2 then if i like them i go out and buy a CD. But what about compilation albums?? like The Who: Meaty beaty?
My Gear:

Fender Aerodyne Stratocaster
NOS Tweed Fender Blues Jr
Boss BD-2
Boss CE-5
Boss CS-3
Dunlop Slash Crybaby
Korg DT-10
Boss BR-600
MXR Script Phase 90
MXR DD-7 Analog Delay

GASing for:
Vox V847
I can't say I've heard of that one (Meaty Beaty), although I doubt I'd get it as I have all The Who albums, unles sit had a new track.
That's one thing that really pisses me off though, when new material is put on any sort of otherwise 'old material' compilations - the real fans who have all the stuff then have to shell out another £10+ for just one track or so.

"The True Eccentric Tea Drinking Appreciation Preservation Society"
I think Best ofs are good for decideing what period of the band you like.
But generally they get boring after a while. Most of the time, my favourite tracks of a band arnt even on the greatist hits.
They also have awsome booklets.
Quote by MOOSE_CCR99
The Beatles 1 was one of the 1st Beatles albums I got and that got me hooked on them. I dont buy best of albums anymore and most of my favorite songs wouldn't be on a best of. When im curious about a band ill download a song or 2 then if i like them i go out and buy a CD. But what about compilation albums?? like The Who: Meaty beaty?

Meaty Beaty's different because a lot of the songs on there aren't available on actual albums. You pretty much have to get one of the compilations.
"Rock music is important to people because... it allows you...not to run away
from the problems that are there, but to face up to them, but at
the same time to sort of dance all over them.
That's what rock 'n' roll's about."
--Pete Townshend
i think they are alright. its a good way to get started on a band. if you hear some songs from the group/artist and you like it then you'll be inspired to go out and get the full albums. but unfortunatly they dont always put the best songs from the artist. like all the clapton greatest hits albums i see are not a reflection of his best work. maybe the songs that were popular but deffinatly not his best stuff. so it can really depend. but like the hendrix greatest hits isnt that bad. has a lot of good songs on there and made me want to go out and get the full albums.