So after countless times mentioning to my dad that i really want to build a guitar, he finally tells me he has some really nice pieces of mahogany that we could use. They are about 2 inches thick and certainly long enough, however, im afraid that even glued together they wont be long enough to make a full body.

Now, my dad also has some oak that we considered possibly using as a center piece to expand the body, but I dont know if the tone properties are any good, and whether or not i can just go mixing and matching woods togeher.

So i was wondering what you guys though i should do? I'll try and get a digital camera and upload some pictures, The only other option i have thought of is buidling a neck through guitar and using the mahogany on the sides.
Gear

Soon to have Carvin California Carved Top
Fender MIM Strat (Warthog, Spotlight, Condor)
Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
Use The wood, then make it into your own guitar shape. The more wood, the better the tone, but electric guitars can even be just a strip of plywood with the electronics attached. Just go crazy man.
What about making a 4pc body? If your 2 boards glued together are wide enough for the upper bout of the guitar then you could use the chunck you cut from the waist of the guitar to compleat the lower bout.

Your idea with a through neck is a very good option as well.
Not taking any online orders.
im hesitant about building my own neck seeing as i've never done it before, but thanks for your guys responses
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
^I used to think that as well.

But it can be easier than you think. Can be.

You can buy pre-cut fretboard blanks, truss rods are generally easy to fit (don't quote me on that. I don't claim to be good at building so I've never done one myself haha), and nuts are easy to fit. To shape and drill the headstock isn't that hard either.

But good luck either way!
^ thanks, i might look into it

im still wondering if the small amount of oak i might end up using will have a dramatic effect on tone, can any one help with that part?
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
you can buy premade maple neck thru blanks online
Rhythm in Jump. Dancing Close to You.

Quote by element4433
Yeah. people, like Lemoninfluence, are hypocrites and should have all their opinions invalidated from here on out.
you can buy premade neck through necks all you need to do is add wings
Member #5 of the UG Luthier's club.
member #3 of the vermont cult
Member of the Frank Zappa Fan Club. PM deadhead313313 to join"

Quote by LightningRider
T Heff, No shit I'm a n00b

Quote by Will_Minus

EDIT: t heff wins the for the best response.

Quote by carousel182
i im gonna have to agree with t heff
thanks guys, i found some more mahogany today in our attic and i wont need to use any oak, which is a relief, however when i measured the thickness i guess i did something wrong, its actually about a 1/2 inch to small, so i think my dad and i are gonna have to cut some wood in half and add like a top layer or somehting....

ill look into the neck through necks, but there kinda expensive
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
bodies don't have to be two inches thick. the ones i've built both come out to under an inch and half, one's barely an inch.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
its an electric guitar. the amount it matters is limited.
my name is matt. you can call me that if you like.
the wood has been up in the attic for 18 plus years and hasnt come into contact with any moisture. It get rediculously hot up there too, so im willing to bet it is dry, are there any signs i should look for?

i know this may dissapoint some of you, but im gonna start with a bolt on neck, however, i have more than enough mahogany lying around to make a second guitar with a through body neck...

and the wood is about 1 1/2 inch thick, is that thick enough for cavity and pickup routes and stuff? Im looking for those answers now online.
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
thru is actually easier than bolt-on, believe me.

EDIT: as long as you don't use push/pull pots, it's plenty deep enough. pickups are only about 3/4" deep.
Quote by corduroyEW
Cheap amps are "that bad". They suck up your tone like cocaine at Kate Moss' party.

I am Michael!
how thick does the body need to be for push/pulls?
Quote by asfastasdark
+1. This man knows his ****.

Walker Rose.
You could get away with an inch and a half, probably.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
i need to go measure my Les Paul...
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
I meausred a guitar of mine. There's about half an inch of wood inbetween the bottom of the cavity and the top. About an eighth of an inch for the cover, if it's recessed. That's about 7/8ths of an inch left for room. To be honest, I'm not sure if that would be enough space.

You could do a pickguad AND a cavity cover on the rear, that would give you about an inch and a quarter of room.
Will says:
DON'T FEAR THE REAPER!
- SmarterChild - says:
I don't know if I can help it.

Member #6 of the "I play my guitar as high as Tom Morello does" club
well ill just have to wait till the pots get here and find out
Quote by asfastasdark

Walker Rose.
Quote by Will_Minus
I meausred a guitar of mine. There's about half an inch of wood inbetween the bottom of the cavity and the top. About an eighth of an inch for the cover, if it's recessed. That's about 7/8ths of an inch left for room. To be honest, I'm not sure if that would be enough space.

You could do a pickguad AND a cavity cover on the rear, that would give you about an inch and a quarter of room.

What if I'm not putting all that much in. For example I think it will just be a 1 volume 1 tone setup, with a three way swithc. do u think that 7/8 of an inch isnt deep enough for the pots?
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic
yea, ill have to measure the electronics when i get them, i might end up adding a thin layer of wood to the back of the guitar
Gear

Epiphone Les Paul Custom
VOX Valetronix Combo
Boss ME-50
Alvarez Acoustic