Alright...

I really wanna learn to play the violin, but where I am at there is no chance of any sort of lessons...so i was just wondering what kind of things i need to learn/buy/do to be able to get down some of the basics by myself.

I know a few of you UGers play (rabidguitarist and such)....just wanting some advice from experienced people...

Thanx

-J3
"Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true, and beautiful"
hmm, you do realize that violin takes A LOT more practice to be considered good than guitar, right? just wondering.
Quote by Kneusje
^ He's right!

Quote by Flea of RHCP
I LOVE, I LOVE, I LOVE... KILLER WHALES! AND I LOVE MANGOS! AND IGGY POP TOO! I LOVE IGGY POP! AND EVEN GETTING UP EARLY IN THE MORNING, AND SWIMMING! AND TAKING A GOOOOOD SH*T! AND I LOVE ALL OF YOU TOO!

yes ^...and im not striving to be considered "good" ...i just wanna learn some of the basics without lessons
"Music is moral law. It gives a soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, a charm to sadness, and a gaiety and life to everything. It is the essence of order and leads to all that is good, true, and beautiful"
you really really need lessons, trust me, it's insanely hard to learn how to bow and whatnot without someone showing you.
make Industrial and/or experimental electronic music? Join my group!

Last.fm
but i have none available...ide have to wait a few YEARS before i can have a chance with lessons
Yes, it's advised that you should get lessons. At least for the fundamentals of the instrument. After that you could practice from books and such. But I think you should learn the fundamentals from a professional first.
Quote by Kensai
Racism... against the human race? Sure, go ahead
So no chance of finding some1 to even help like a friend or another teen or something? Well then id go online read up on technique etc, buy a beginners book, a cheap violin (well as cheap as they really come i guess) rosin for it (make sure its rosin for that instrument, u dont want the rosin they use on my instrument the double bass) and a bow. That should get you started, but yes use the internet to help you as well..
Quote by Feel bad inc.
So no chance of finding some1 to even help like a friend or another teen or something? Well then id go online read up on technique etc, buy a beginners book, a cheap violin (well as cheap as they really come i guess) rosin for it (make sure its rosin for that instrument, u dont want the rosin they use on my instrument the double bass) and a bow. That should get you started, but yes use the internet to help you as well..

Pretty much that if you can't get lessons.
i dont know anyone that plays...and i live in an extremley small town so ya...ill try to find someone though
i would see if there are any videos you could buy. ones that show proper technique and such. once you learn the basics, and get down which notes are which, it all kind of comes together.

i used to play when i was younger, so yes, i have some idea what im talking about.