I'm trying to write a funk song. I've came up with a little riff thing, but I don't know where to go from there. Any tips/help?
Make sure you write a decent bassline that carries the groove of the song. The guitar riff should just be something simple and trebley while the bass plays the "riff".
WHY IS EVERYONE IN THE PIT A FUCKING METALCORE KID
also, groovey drums are definately a requirement. Funk drumming is usually very syncopated.
"There he goes. One of God's own prototypes. Some kind of high powered mutant never even considered for mass production. Too weird to live, and too rare to die."-Duke
true, you can get funk riffs as easy as

e|12|x|--|
B|12|x|12|
G|12|x|12|
D|--|-|12|
A|--|-|--|
E|--|-|--|

and variations while the bass plays some slap line

Whodicted

Quote by stevo_epi_SG_wo
france is laaaaame

Recognized by the Official EG/GG&A Who To Listen To List 2009
oh... mines more like a bassline maybe.

it sounds familiar though, so I hope im not ripping it off of something.
You need to make a good rhythm. Throw in bunch of dominant, 13th chords. Get good drum background. It's got to be catchy, groovy....
"The end result - the music - is all that counts"
traditionaly, funk usually doesnt have any outstanding lead guitar parts, but that doesnt stop you from adding one in. If you have the guitar riff already, figure out the key and make some real hip bass line. once you know the key and progression its usually easier to expand the song
In funk you have really two basic options. You have the bass line with simple syncopated guitar chords over it making it groove. Or you have the bass line with some simple, simple guitar fills over it. Just easy 1 beat a few 16th note runs. The first example can be seen a lot in Graham Central Station and Sly and the Family Stone stuff. The second is seen easier in stuff like Parliament. Funk is all about the low end. Heavy bass drum heavy bass, and very little guitar with some horn shots. Oh and an extremely low vocal line a la Larry Graham.
Don't use a whole bunch of chords. Use only a couple, but give them a little more spice by adding notes (create 7chords, add13chords, stuff like that) If you look at funk songs you'll notice a lot of 'em use the same principle. They only use a few different chords, and the chord progressions are quite basic to keep the flow of the song going constantly. But to spice things up the chords sometimes appear with other notes added.
Washburn X50 PROFE
Dean Custom 450
Morley PWA Pro Series Wah
Big Muff Rams head
Zoom G2
Ibanez Phase Tone
Randall RG75 G3

Tales of Ale: http://www.talesofale.com
i've noticed lots of chord inversions and bits of fills in lots of the guitar parts, also a little wah never hurt anybody
_7#9 chords with lots or dead notes and wah are a funk players friend.
Founder of Jaco society

[22:08:23] <Confusius> I wish I was a bassist
[22:08:26] <Confusius> you fuckers look cool

Want to know how to play bass in jazz? Read this.