Okay, so we've started going back to the MB graph in A level chemistry, and I'm now wondering if someone can explain to me why or how the area under the graph is the number of molecules.

I'm aware it should maybe be "fraction of molecules" and stuff, but it's bugging me now.

To take the area, you take the "number of molecules" and multiply it by the "amount of energy", right?

Well, the number of molecules has no units, it's just a number, and if you multiply a number by the energy, which is in joules - then surely the number you end up with must also be measured in joules. To end up with a number, you'd have to have "fraction of molecules/energy" on the y axis.

Can someone please explain to me how the area ends up as the number of molecules? And where I'm going wrong?
Co-President of UG's Tubgirl Virgins Club

The area under the graph is showing you the following:

At any given energy, a certain amount of molecules will be found.

With that in mind the area under the graph is found by Energy x Number of molecules.

Energy is joules and number of molecules is moles.

Therefore the area is joules per mole... Or in other words: The amount of energy a certain amount of molecules has at that temperature.

Remember that the MBD curve is showing you how much energy a certain amount of molecules has at any given temperature.

[If that doesnt make any sense Im sorry]
Sat in a lab, curing diseases. They actually LET me play with chemicals!